Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Best Oil for a Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by itschad View Post
    Mobil 1 sells for about £50 for 5 litres...
    Ouch! Mobil 1 is about $25-35 for five quarts here in the Colonies, depending on where you buy it. Five quarts is about 5.3 liters. You are really paying $65 for it?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My $0.02 I have stated before. Use 0w-20 since the book says so. All the SAE 0w-20s are good. Supertech is fine. $14 gets you 5 quarts. $2 for their supertech filter. Almost a $10 oil change. Book says do it every 7500 miles or twice a year. At least do that for the warranty. No point to do it more. After warranty is done you can probably go to 10k/once a year with no problems.

Just because you see a fancy picture on the bottle, a nice logo, pay more, or change it more, doesn't do anything. I know the Mobile 1 Cult has taken many people in the middle of the night....

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    My $0.02 I have stated before. Use 0w-20 since the book says so.
    Remember that the book says different things in different parts of the world for the same engine.

I'll borrow this quote from inuvik in another thread...

Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The only reason for 0w20 in the USA & Canada is for emissions purposes. The rest of the world specifies 5w30, 10w30, 10w40. When you look at the viscosity values of 0w20 they are lower across the range of temperatures compared to 5w30. Will the engine last for 100k using 0w20? Yes. Does 0w20 have the best viscosity values of any range of oil? Absolutely not. Does running 0w20 have any long term impacts? I don't think so but at least for me it doesn't seem to have made any difference in fuel economy and it dramatically reduced the "sewing machine" valve train noise.

Source: this post
    For anyone interested in oil analysis of Mirage oil, you can see multiple sets of test numbers from my own car here. Looks like I haven't done an analysis for over a year so maybe I'll do another at my next oil change.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    well they run the warranty by what is in the book so I wouldn't chance it until at least the warranty is done. "it says so in Russia" or whatever is unlikely to work for the warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Yes and you are suppossed to follow the service schedule based on HOW OFTEN DO YOU DRIVE IN THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS?
    Driving on dusty, rough, muddy or salt-spread roads
    Towing or police, taxi or commercial operation
    Extensive idling and /or low speed operation
    Repeated short-trip operation at freezing temperatures (engine not thoroughly warmed up)
    Extended use of brakes while driving
    Driving in sandy areas
    More than 50 % operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90 °F (32 °C)

So if they salt the roads where you live and don't change oil every 3700miles kiss your warranty goodbye lol. Rather, you run the risk of having engine warranty claims denied.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-07-2020 at 03:09 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins;103360...
    Towing or police....
    Could you imagine being pulled over by an unmarked Mirage?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to precisionxt For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-07-2020),itschad (02-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    Could you imagine being pulled over by an unmarked Mirage?
    Even better. Being pulled over by a marked Mirage! I want to see a light bar and a grille guard.

Could you imagine being crammed in the back of a police or even a Taxi Mirage that has one of those stabby proof dividers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Yes and you are suppossed to follow the service schedule based on HOW OFTEN DO YOU DRIVE IN THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS?
    Driving on dusty, rough, muddy or salt-spread roads
    Towing or police, taxi or commercial operation
    Extensive idling and /or low speed operation
    Repeated short-trip operation at freezing temperatures (engine not thoroughly warmed up)
    Extended use of brakes while driving
    Driving in sandy areas
    More than 50 % operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90 °F (32 °C)

So if they salt the roads where you live and don't change oil every 3700miles kiss your warranty goodbye lol. Rather, you run the risk of having engine warranty claims denied.
    I would at least follow whatever the dealership recommends while under warranty. Steve received 50+ free oil changes every 5,000 miles from a dealership. In his case, the purchasing dealership went belly up, but the dealership honored his deal for quite some time.

If your Mitsubishi dealership recommends 7,500 mile intervals, I would consider doing that or earlier. I feel comfortable doing 5,000 mile intervals with a decent oil filter (not the most expensive). My purchasing dealership is 4-hours away one way, and I wouldn't let the nearest one touch my Mirage. I would change my own oil regardless. I know it is done right that way.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Could you imagine being crammed in the back of a police or even a Taxi Mirage that has one of those stabby proof dividers.
    First court date, they let you go. "You were punished enough on way to the station. That equates to about 2 years of prison time".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)