Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Oil for a Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Lightbulb Best Oil for a Mirage?

So I have been thinking about and researching for the best oil to put in my little Mirage, and I have came to the conclusion that Liquid Moly W0-20 SPECIAL TEC AA SAE 0W-20, and Motul 8100 ECO LITE 0W-20 is the best. At least to my research. I've been using Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil for a couple of changes. So which one you think I should use? Or if there is others that is better. Liquid Moly and Motul both has great reviews. Thank you!

Oh, and oil filter: Royal Purple 10-2867 Extended Life Premium Oil Filter

Last edited by Gnestovia; 02-05-2020 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Added oil filter :)

Get ready for a 50 page thread!
    I use brown oil. I'm sure there are a bunch of oil threads around here and on the googles. Everyone is gonna have their own opinion and argue they're more righter.

Out of 30-40 Mirage's there's one here with 430xxxkms on it, there are bunch with over 300k kms, 200k kms and only a handful are under 160k km(100k miles). I used Mobil 1 0w20 for the first year or so in all the cars then switched to klondike 0w20 oil for all the Mirages and use the same brand for the entire fleet of cars, vans, and light and medium trucks. There are a 2 cars that use 1/2 liter between oil changes. I have hard time believing the brand of oil had anything to do with that though.

I've used the mitsubishi mz690072 filter since new on all the cars I maintain. And use wix filters on the rest of the fleet.

For my own junk I buy whatever is on sale. I don't see the point of spending 4x the amount on oil that's gonna get drained and thrown out in 4-6 months. I don't use cheapest oil or air filters on my stuff and usually use wix filters too.

In my opinion some people overthink and worry too much about oil brands and ways to get every last penny out of those 3 liters of oil. Change it regularly enough and you should be fine. If the engine blows up the label on the bottle won't usually be to blame unless it was full of sand.

Hope that doesn't come across too offensive like many of my post's do
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-05-2020 at 09:40 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-06-2020),craigq (02-06-2020),Dirk Diggler (02-06-2020),foama (02-07-2020),Loren (02-05-2020),mrwhite (02-06-2020)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gnestovia View Post
    So I have been thinking about and researching for the best oil to put in my little Mirage, and I have came to the conclusion that Liquid Moly W0-20 SPECIAL TEC AA SAE 0W-20, and Motul 8100 ECO LITE 0W-20 is the best. At least to my research. I've been using Mobil 1 0W-20 Advanced Fuel Economy Full Synthetic Motor Oil for a couple of changes. So which one you think I should use? Or if there is others that is better. Liquid Moly and Motul both has great reviews. Thank you!

I'm another for 0w-20. I had my car serviced at a franchise a few months back, I enquired as to what oil they'd use, 5W-30 they said. I questioned them regarding Mitsubishi advising on the former and asked them to put in the latter. They thought I'd lost my marbles. Next service will not be Mitsubishi, I will have 0W-20 put in by my chaps.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Cool

Oh shoot, you would not offend me! I find it hilarious to be honest, and I always enjoy reading what you all have to say too. Haha! Well heck, I could just do an experiment myself and do an oil analyses after so many miles and give a comparison of them. And where it's 0W-20 as the book calls for, what's the hurt right? I'm going to go with Motul first and give my opinion and see if the reviews say what they mean. Such as one I read, said that the engine runs so much smoother like a sewing machine (I could see that), the engine seemed that it had more power (not sure, maybe), and that the fuel economy went up a couple MPG (could be possible). So I'm just wanting to do this and hopefully help you all too and maybe find something out you all may not know and may benefit from. It too, gives me something to do as well.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gnestovia For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-05-2020),Fummins (02-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    What Fummins said.

The engine was designed to use 0W20. All 0W20 is synthetic. Use a 0W20 oil and you can't go wrong. Change it every 8-10k miles. Be happy.

I change my oil every July with whatever 0W20 is available and not too expensive. Just like buying gas... I'm not gonna drive across the street to save a dollar on my oil. As long as the price is reasonable, the spec is correct, and it's a good name brand oil, my shopping is done!
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Loren is right for sure! I have been reading a lot on what he has said on other posts and it is very good information!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    So I have been thinking about and researching for the best oil to put in my little Mirage...
    All good points. Remember that whatever you choose make sure it bears the ILSAC starburst symbol and you'll be fine. And don't think that a racing oil will work better for a daily driver as they have a different additive pack and are meant to be drained after the race.

Looking forward to seeing your results.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    If there's a bad 0W-20 oil on the market, I am not aware of it. My advice - use whatever makes you happy, because your Mirage isn't going to care.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Brown oil! Lmao.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

Just curious - what oil change interval are you planning to do?

One of our highest mileage forum member's Mirage (280,000+ miles) has done well on 5W-30 conventional oil changed every 5,000 miles. It wasn't until the dealership switched him over to synthetic oil that he noticed his Mirage starting to burn oil. He has since gone back to conventional 5W-30 oil, but he also lives in the south.

Living in Wisconsin, I like 0W-20 oil. It flows quickly during cold temperatures. I've been using the same oil as you, but I am switching over to 0W-20 Super Tech (Amazon Basics or Kendall) in the future. I do 5,000 mile changes, & I feel any good quality oil will be perfectly fine. Once I switch to something else, I am going to stay with that for the life of the vehicle. I suspect Super Tech will be around during that time. Thus, I will go that direction.

There is nothing wrong with Mobil 1 or any other brands. Mobil 1 marketing so many different types of 0W-20 annoys me, but that doesn't make it bad. Super Tech prices are stable. Last time I checked a 5-quart jug of 0W-20 SuperTech oil only cost $1.20 more than Super Tech conventional oil, and it was cheaper than many other conventional oil brands.

I don't feel my Mirage will be unhappy with Super Tech, and I rather pay a bit less & change my oil more frequently. It's only 3 quarts/change. I think cheaper fresh oil is better than more expensive old oil. Two maintenance schedules for the U.S. Mirage are 3,750 miles & 7,500 with 0W-20 oil, and I feel comfortable with 5,000 mile changes for my Mirage. Not saying this is best for everyone else!