Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Electrical issue, not battery, not alternator

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    it sounds to me like the carbon brushes that ride on the slip rings inside the alternator may be just about worn out. When that happens one minute the alternator is working fine then the next not at all then the next it's working fine. This can happen for quite a while until the brushes are completely gone.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-08-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    it sounds to me like the carbon brushes that ride on the slip rings inside the alternator may be just about worn out. When that happens one minute the alternator is working fine then the next not at all then the next it's working fine. This can happen for quite a while until the brushes are completely gone.
    Agree!
    However it doesn't explain random lights in the dash comming on...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ok,
    So I started tracing wires, started with the plug into the alternator. The white wire was bound too tight in the zip tie, and corroded or was otherwise incentivised to break inside the insulation.

I pulled on the insulation and it stretched where the hole was, obvious break in the wire.

Removed 1/2 inch of insulation on either side, soldered in a jumper wire, now charging at almost 15 volts, instead of previous normal of around 14.

It took around 120k miles for this to happen, but I expect to see a lot more of this, now knowing what happened.

Pictures are of the basic process, the zip tie is what was holding the bundle, the last one was the 'over tape' and the hole rubbed in that.
    Attached Images Attached Images          

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Erroniously_Spelt For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-10-2020),Brianm13 (07-18-2021),Cobrajet (02-10-2020),Fummins (02-09-2020),Macmoto (02-10-2020),Top_Fuel (02-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the insights, everyone! You helped me save my sanity. Seriously, I was getting ready to trade it in, or go to a shop. I can't afford either of those. I love you all!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Erroniously_Spelt For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    This the area where the wire wore through...where the wire is bundled and attached to that metal flange thing?

Name:  engine2.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  94.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    This the area where the wire wore through...where the wire is bundled and attached to that metal flange thing?

Name:  engine2.jpg
Views: 700
Size:  94.9 KB
    Just spent a few hours plowing & blowing snow. To tired to go back outside. Does anyone suggest a preventive measure to take for that area?

Loosen the bundle, wrap the wires with something? Thoughts?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes, that's the right spot. I would think that loosening the zip tie a couple clicks would do it, to take pressure off the insulation. You'll still get rubbing, but hopefully not enough to break down the insulation.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Erroniously_Spelt For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Just spent a few hours plowing & blowing snow. To tired to go back outside. Does anyone suggest a preventive measure to take for that area?

Loosen the bundle, wrap the wires with something? Thoughts?
    Also, your engine bay is beautiful!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Congratulations on finding it, and thanks for the warning to check cable ties!
    There have been a few cases of wires breaking where they were tied.

Temperature very much affects the properties of lead-acid batteries, and Japanese car makers were the very first to have the charging voltage adapt to temperature. In the cold, 15V is normal for charging. In the summer you could expect 13.8V or so to be enough. More than 14.4V at 20°C and the battery will discharge gases and lose water. The voltage when gassing begins is just as temperature-dependant as the voiltage needed to get it charged.
    Last edited by foama; 02-10-2020 at 08:43 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Just another reason to have a Scangauge and have one of the 4 readouts set to display a voltmeter.

Name:  gauge.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  70.9 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)