Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2021 Mirage walkaround video - Montreal auto show '20

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That's hilarious. Do you really think it was intentional?
    Who knows right? They're not zooming into the wheels, that is for sure. More likely they weren't even considering this question.

That said, if the Mitsu corporation is willing to cheat on emissions tests for years... then..

Also, whoever was talking on the Forum about new gen Mitsubishi's having really thin, easily- dented steel. What's with that? My Mirage feels like it's made out of play dough. Is that for safety?

Last edited by dspace9; 02-15-2020 at 03:38 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Who knows right? They're not zooming into the wheels, that is for sure. More likely they weren't even considering this question.

That said, if the Mitsu corporation is willing to cheat on emissions tests for years... then..
    So, if I understand you correctly, you are suggesting that a car manufacturer has displayed a model vehicle in current production which is easily viewed by anyone in the markets in which they are sold, and has collaborated with a video production/news company to intentionally hide a detail about the rear wheel brakes. Personally, I find that unlikely.

Also, whoever was talking on the Forum about new gen Mitsubishi's having really thin, easily- dented steel. What's with that? My Mirage feels like it's made out of play dough. Is that for safety?
    It's for economy of manufacture and operation. The passenger compartment is made with high tensile steel for improved passenger safety (refer to Reinforced Impact Safety Evolution or R.I.S.E. for more info about this feature of the Mirage.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Light weight too, Mitsubishi is going with the feather weight anywhere they can with the Mirage, for fuel economy reasons. Same with the 0.27 or whatever coefficient aerodynamics with Mirage's, they are very sleek.

Also I wouldn't say I am "saying" Mitsubishi is covering up stuff in their ads. Does anyone care about 4 wheel discs compared to disc/drum? Maybe they are downplaying so-called unsavourable features in the 2021 Mirage. Maybe it's the Carlos Gnosn influence, cutting corners from the top. I wonder if there will still be a new Versa/Mirage in the future now?

I was also hoping they would import Renaults into Canada via Mitsu dealers, but someone from Europe on here said they aren't good. I don't want to start a Renault argument, I just want more variety in small car options in Canada and the USA.
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-16-2020 at 12:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Also I wouldn't say I am "saying" Mitsubishi is covering up stuff in their ads. Does anyone care about 4 wheel discs compared to disc/drum? Maybe they are downplaying so-called unsavourable features in the 2021 Mirage.
    All companies, even beyond automobile manufacturers, will highlight features their market will consider desirable. That's nothing new, not even for car companies.

On top of that, it wasn't a traditional advertisement Mitsubishi paid for, like a TV ad. The most relevant fact is it was done by some other outfit browsing the auto show - the videos were not done by Mitsubishi.

Maybe it's the Carlos Gnosn influence, cutting corners from the top. I wonder if there will still be a new Versa/Mirage in the future now?
    Was Carlos Ghosn involved with Mirage development? He was leader of Nissan when they joined forces with Renault, but only gained a controlling stake in Mitsubishi after the Mirage entered the market.

Carlos Ghosn had nothing to do with the Mirage development. And now he is out of the company.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    No I get that, the first concept car Mirage came out in 2011 I believe, and my own Mirage is a May 2013 build. Anyways, I guess Carlos Gnosn did sign off on the refreshed "2016" Mirage, but that is about all that happened to the Mirage under his watch as head of the Nissan/Renault/Mitsubishi Alliance. The Renault connection makes some sense if you see his French connection. Gnosn killed the EVO Lancer X. I just like how he escaped in a box

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Are we watching the same video? I don't see anyone talking. Also they zoom in on both drum breaks and it's pretty obvious.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I was also hoping they would import Renaults into Canada via Mitsu dealers, but someone from Europe on here said they aren't good. I don't want to start a Renault argument, I just want more variety in small car options in Canada and the USA.
    If they have any wisdom at all, Renaults presents in North America will probably be done through Nissan only.

You only have to look at Fiat to see why. The Fiat 500 came to the U.S. in 2011, & Fiat 500 sales peaked one year later in 2012 (43,772 cars sold). Fiat 500 sales have dropped every year since that time. In 2018, 5,370 Fiat 500 cars were sold in North America. That has now dropped to 3,267 cars in 2019. How many dealerships can that type of sales volume support?

Google "Renault:" and you find articles like this - "Renault's profit plunged 99% last year. Nissan was only partly to blame"

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/busin...ngs/index.html

Google "Nissan's profits" -

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/13/busin...ngs/index.html

Meanwhile - I perceived Hyundai/Kia working hard to improve their products (competing with companies like Toyota & Honda). They seem more in tune with what consumers are wanting.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200119000030

I am not a brand loyalty type of person. I just observe two different mergers here. One doesn't seem to be working, & the other one does. If I was buying a new vehicle today, my money would go in the direction of the working merger. I like the products they are producing, they have better warranty, they have built factories in our country, & they seem to have a positive future.

The other merger seems pretty dysfunctional to me, and sadly Mitsubishi is associated with it. That's why I hope Mitsubishi maintains their independence as best they can.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anyway, I'm glad someone took the time to display the generation 6.2 Mirage, make a video of it, and post it online for us to enjoy.

I look forward to seeing one in person.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Anyway, I'm glad someone took the time to display the generation 6.2 Mirage, make a video of it, and post it online for us to enjoy.

I look forward to seeing one in person.
    I'm glad a Mirage is still a Mirage. As far as I am concerned, it looks like the same car with different front to me.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh, Mirage is still just a Mirage. Not a big change. I was in the "dislike" camp for the new looks, but I guess you do have to see Mirage 3.0 in person, like Eggman is saying.

I agree Mark, it is sad that Mitsubishi has gotten in the thick of a messy merger.. they made it through the diamond star motors collapse, and Chrysler is still around to tell the tale as well. So who knows what is in the future for Mitsubishi. Nissan is REALLY hurting the past while, like I could see that big ship turn over.

I would say a Hyundai and Kia is looking like a solid buy for dependability, and brand dependability. Sticking around.

When you see a lot of them on the road, it does say something about the product. By this logic, this also means I find all Civics boring.

Last edited by dspace9; 02-16-2020 at 06:26 PM.