Thread: Noticing a faint squeaking upon acceleration while in drive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Noticing a faint squeaking upon acceleration while in drive.

Hello everyone,

I'm posting here because I suspect that my CVT has a failing bearing somewhere. My 2018 ES has just over 32,000 miles on it and is still covered under the manufacturer's warranty. (60k warranty since I got it used at 15,000 miles) Everything is working perfectly normal on my Mirage, but I have recently noticed a faint squeaking noise when I am accelerating. The noise goes away if I give it a lot of gas or let off entirely. It is also only audible in drive and reverse. I can not hear anything in Ds mode, but that could be due to the car being at obnoxiously loud, high RPMs. Does anybody know if this is a common issue or totally normal sound with the Jatco transmission they put into the 2018 model year? I know how expensive CVTs can be to replace, and I definitely didn't purchase a Mirage to own a money pit. I love this little thing so far, and I only want what is best for it.

All this being said, what would my best course of action be to preserve the longevity of my car? Assuming I did return to the dealership for inspection, what repairs would a faulty CVT bearing entail? Again, I am supposed to be under warranty until 60k miles.

I do apologize for my first post being a maintenance question, but I really need sound advice from those with Mirage experience.

Thank you.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 3_Cyl_DeVille View Post
    Hello everyone,

I'm posting here because I suspect that my CVT has a failing bearing somewhere. My 2018 ES has just over 32,000 miles on it and is still covered under the manufacturer's warranty. (60k warranty since I got it used at 15,000 miles) Everything is working perfectly normal on my Mirage, but I have recently noticed a faint squeaking noise when I am accelerating. The noise goes away if I give it a lot of gas or let off entirely. It is also only audible in drive and reverse. I can not hear anything in Ds mode, but that could be due to the car being at obnoxiously loud, high RPMs. Does anybody know if this is a common issue or totally normal sound with the Jatco transmission they put into the 2018 model year? I know how expensive CVTs can be to replace, and I definitely didn't purchase a Mirage to own a money pit. I love this little thing so far, and I only want what is best for it.

All this being said, what would my best course of action be to preserve the longevity of my car? Assuming I did return to the dealership for inspection, what repairs would a faulty CVT bearing entail? Again, I am supposed to be under warranty until 60k miles.

I do apologize for my first post being a maintenance question, but I really need sound advice from those with Mirage experience.

Thank you.
    Hello 3_Cyl_DeVille and welcome to the forum.

Troubleshooting over the internet is difficult because we can't see or hear what's going on. However, the symptoms you describe remind me of something another forum member shared here, whose problem was found to be an exhaust hanger that was loose and noisy at certain conditions.

Unacceptable vibration/rattle @ 13,000 km SOLVED: loose exhaust hanger

If you are able, start with simple stuff first before concluding your CVT is on it's way out - crawl underneath and check your exhaust hangers.

We've also had members report their intake air snorkel was becoming loose and noisy. Check that too.

We are lucky to have more than a few forum members with experience working on our favorite little cars. Stick around and I suspect you'll get lots of good advice and pointers about how to get the best out of your Mirage.

Thanks for making a forum Garage entry. It helps others know what you have and how it's configured. You'll have to let us know more about how you decided to get a Mirage and how you came to our forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Could this be the exhaust flange 'chirp' that appeared when Mitsubishi changed the catalytic converter for 2017?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Figured I’d post here.
    2015 Mirage DE 87,000 miles.
    I too am having faint squeaking/chirping from the engine/transmission.
    It’ll do it when driving and seems to happen anytime warm or cold, around 2,000-2,500 rpm. If I sit in park or neutral and flutter or hold the gas I cannot get it to do it. Below is a link for some of the sounds. (Sorry for the crappy quality and all the road noise)
    https://streamable.com/sgdeo0

Any thoughts on what these sounds may be and if it is anything to worry about?
    Thank you!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt950rider View Post
    Figured I’d post here.
    2015 Mirage DE 87,000 miles.
    I too am having faint squeaking/chirping from the engine/transmission.
    It’ll do it when driving and seems to happen anytime warm or cold, around 2,000-2,500 rpm. If I sit in park or neutral and flutter or hold the gas I cannot get it to do it. Below is a link for some of the sounds. (Sorry for the crappy quality and all the road noise)
    https://streamable.com/sgdeo0

Any thoughts on what these sounds may be and if it is anything to worry about?
    Thank you!
    Hello Bolt950rider and welcome to the forum.

Have you checked your exhaust hangers? Some owners have reported noise from loose rubber bits.

Sorry for the brief post.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have a noise like this, I was sort of hoping it might go away after I changed the fluid in the CVT, it only happens when I approach 20% throttle, under that and it doesn't happen and I've never noticed it at all in reverse, sort of sounds like a piece of round rod on a lathe that isn't quite in centred and is chipping away in cycles.

My exhaust hangers/exhaust seem to be ok, I might give it all a shake next time I've got it up.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skyblue View Post
    I have a noise like this, I was sort of hoping it might go away after I changed the fluid in the CVT, it only happens when I approach 20% throttle, under that and it doesn't happen and I've never noticed it at all in reverse, sort of sounds like a piece of round rod on a lathe that isn't quite in centred and is chipping away in cycles.

My exhaust hangers/exhaust seem to be ok, I might give it all a shake next time I've got it up.
    check the joint on the muffler the one with the spring try to replace the bushing inside in not sure if thats a ceramic bush, or try to find a washer that would fit on the bolt to give the spring a tighter fit.