Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird starter noise when started up this morning.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Update, they tested the starter, it was fine, checked the tension on the belt, it was fine too. He explained that because our engines are so small occasionally your going to hear a small hiccup on start up. He also explained letting the car parked outside for 24 hours during a massive rain storm can contribute to the occasional weird screech. The main thing was they didnt hear any grinding. So good news. Thank you Top Fuel and Cobra!
    Sounds like you have been given good information from your mechanic. My Mirage does exactly what he described. If it has been raining for an extended period or it is quite humid out, my Mirage will do a short screech at start up. I think nothing of it. It only happens after long sits during those conditions. The rest of the day it is fine.

A better serpentine belt may help eliminate this, but I surely wouldn't sweat it. I believe the NAPA belts are quality belts. I would't worry about it, or let Fummins yank your CVT chain.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My 2017 ES has the same issue when its wet out. it will also do it when its very cold out. I Just Figure its a belt squeak at start up and then afterward not a problem. I wouldn't be concerned about stat all.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Regarding all these noisy belts, are they original or aftermarket? Just wondering.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Regarding all these noisy belts, are they original or aftermarket? Just wondering.
    I am at approximately 33,500 miles, & my belt is factory.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I'll post update tomorrow morning. I still cant believe my girl's car did the exact same thing this morning too and her belt isnt brand new. Plus the sound position. The screech sounded like it was right behind the steering wheel, not to the left where the belt is when your in the driver seat. Weird. I'm 97% sure it was just one little hiccup from a thousand starts. Still, has anyone replaced a starter on here yet?

The screech sounded like it was right behind the steering wheel, not to the left where the belt is when your in the driver seat. Weird. Still, has anyone replaced a starter on here yet?
    The belt is on the rh side lol
    I've changed a few starters. The brushes wore out on one or two and the solenoid was just sticky on another. Overall they're lasting longer than expected.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-11-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The belt is on the rh side lol
    I've changed a few starters. The brushes wore out on one or two and the solenoid was just sticky on another. Overall they're lasting longer than expected.
    Thats what I meant on the right side if your in the driver's seat. Are their aftermarket options for a starter? Every part place I checked said it might fit. What would you say was the avg km/miles your Mirage has to be thinking about a new starter for a delivery vehicle like mine Fummins? 100k miles? Im at 66k right now.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thats what I meant on the right side if your in the driver's seat. Are their aftermarket options for a starter? Every part place I checked said it might fit. What would you say was the avg km/miles your Mirage has to be thinking about a new starter for a delivery vehicle like mine Fummins? 100k miles? Im at 66k right now.
    Steve is over 280,000 miles, and he hasn't replaced his starter. Then again, Steve may be doing long drives with fewer starts than most.

A squeaky belt means your starter is working good. If your starter stops working, you'll know it.

I just think these belts squeak some, because they are manually adjusted. Unlike a belt that has an automatic belt tensioner, these squeak at start up sometimes. No big deal! I would be more concerned about a belt that was over tightened, & how that may shorten the life of bearings and such.

When my starter goes, I will just have it rebuilt. I have had that done for my ATVs, compact tractor, and other vehicles. Those guys can rebuilt most anything electrical like that, & it doesn't cost that much. It has been a few years, but the last one was about $100.

I would find something else to worry about.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Steve is over 280,000 miles, and he hasn't replaced his starter. Then again, Steve may be doing long drives with fewer starts than most.
    I have nearly 140,000 miles on my original starter, and my car is used exclusively for door-to-door delivery. 100% short trips. I am amazed at how well it has held up.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Well update. I fired her up this morning and didn't hear that short burst screech, instead I felt an intense vibration in my feet and hands on the wheel. Stronger than the usual from our little buzzy cars. I turned it off. Waited 10 seconds to see if I could replicate it and it sounded fine if a little off. Drive the car 10 miles, it ran fine, no harsher than usual. I parked it and started it 3 times in a row and it sounded and felt normal. I think I'm going to try that techron fuel treatment thats been mentioned on here.