Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird starter noise when started up this morning.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

Weird starter noise when started up this morning.

Hey guys, I had a weird issue when I started the car this morning. I started the car and it made a weird screech noise, no grinding sound though. I immediately cut off the engine and started it again, same noise. This time I let it warm up till the green oil light clicked off, drove it for a couple miles and cut it off. I waited a minute started it twice in a row and it sounded perfect this time? It has been cold and rainy lately and yesterday I did drive it under 2000 rpm for half a mile with the green engine oil light still on. I'm going to take the car in to a trusted mechanic and have the started tested. Is this a part Im going to have pay out the ass from Mitsubishi or are there aftermarket options?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Hey guys, I had a weird issue when I started the car this morning. I started the car and it made a weird screech noise, no grinding sound though. I immediately cut off the engine and started it again, same noise. This time I let it warm up till the green oil light clicked off, drove it for a couple miles and cut it off. I waited a minute started it twice in a row and it sounded perfect this time? It has been cold and rainy lately and yesterday I did drive it under 2000 rpm for half a mile with the green engine oil light still on. I'm going to take the car in to a trusted mechanic and have the started tested. Is this a part Im going to have pay out the ass from Mitsubishi or are there aftermarket options?

Didn't you recently replace a serpintine belt? I'd check the tension there first.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Didn't you recently replace a serpintine belt? I'd check the tension there first.
    Definitely this if you replaced the belt. They will stretch a little bit in the first few hundred miles, and will often need to be tightened up more.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Ok update. My girl's G4 just did the same thing! She waited for the green oil temp to go off. It did, then she restarted and it sounded normal too. It's been raining like crazy here. Could that have something to do with it?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I went out and twisted at the mid way point of the belt, it couldn't do a half way turn. I'm guessing it's on too tight? Im bringing it in. My only concern is that was the only aftermarket belt they had from Napa. Perhaps it's just a hair too small? I'll post up dates.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Update, they tested the starter, it was fine, checked the tension on the belt, it was fine too. He explained that because our engines are so small occasionally your going to hear a small hiccup on start up. He also explained letting the car parked outside for 24 hours during a massive rain storm can contribute to the occasional weird screech. The main thing was they didnt hear any grinding. So good news. Thank you Top Fuel and Cobra!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hopefully this problem is fixed for you and doesn't come back, Dirk.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah, I'd say belt noise as well especially if it's all stupid humid and wet.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Brand new belt too. I went out 4 hours and tested it. It started up fine, no short loud bark of a shriek. The true test will be tomorrow at 4am.

Maybe the cvt is seizing up

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-11-2020),Dirk Diggler (02-11-2020),poorman1 (02-11-2020)