Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I purchase this Mirage?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My wife got one of those letters last week. It was something that was made to look like a check for close to $2500, but if you looked close enough, it was a "voucher" for trade-in value or something like that. And it also said "YOU HAVE WON!" one of the following prizes. Of course, there was one new car prize, and then like a $500 gift certificate, and a $20 gift certificate, etc. Guess which one we'd have gotten if we showed up? (and then probably only if we demanded it)

The FUNNY part of the whole thing was that it was for "being a loyal Nissan customer!"

My wife has owned one Nissan. She bought it new in 1991 and traded it off in 1994. "Loyal."

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    I'm fairly certain 01-7700 was posing a rhetorical question out of sarcasm...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have no interest in giving my Mirage away. When I bought it I knew it would depreciate fast but no matter because I'm going to keep it for as long as I can continue to keep it running. I sometimes wish that I had bought used instead of new but there were no used Mirages in 2013 and if I keep it 10, 20 years it won't matter.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I have no interest in giving my Mirage away. When I bought it I knew it would depreciate fast but no matter because I'm going to keep it for as long as I can continue to keep it running. I sometimes wish that I had bought used instead of new but there were no used Mirages in 2013 and if I keep it 10, 20 years it won't matter.
    One good thing about buying new, you are guaranteed to have a warranty. Whether anything is covered is a different topic altogether, but I've yet to see a used Mirage that states it comes with documented service history. And everyone I've looked at or phoned about doesn't either. I phoned a dealer about a 17' with 60k kms, sales guy was going on about how it still has Mitsubishi warranty bla bla bla.....I asked if they had any service history/records? NOPE. So basically if there's an engine or transmission problem dealer will deny it.

I gave zero shats about records when I bought mine as I never expected an engine problem, if it runs good it should stay that way if not trashed or neglected. I knew better and shoulda jewed the guy down a bit more, oh well I have no regerts, could probably throw some 15w40 in it and flog it in the summer for what I paid and pick up a slightly newer one with less potential problems.

You'll lose far less money buying a new Mirage than something like BMW, F150, or practically any other vehicle on the market lol. Worst case you're only gonna be out what you paid if it's burnt to the ground and don't have insurance.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-14-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You'll lose far less money buying a new Mirage than something like BMW, F150, or practically any other vehicle on the market lol. Worst case you're only gonna be out what you paid if it's burnt to the ground and don't have insurance.
    True. Worst you can do with the Mirage is losing the full value which is just the first year depreciation on a new F150.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    True. Worst you can do with the Mirage is losing the full value which is just the first year depreciation on a new F150.

I drove a 1990 Ford Festiva (smaller than a Mirage in my opinion) for 14 years. Whenever someone asked me why I drove a car like that, I would point out that the most it could depreciate was $5,300 (after a $1000 Ford rebate, that was the full price of the car). Personally, I liked that car. It had some quirks, but it was cheap, reliable, and very economical.

Whenever someone asks me why I drive a Mirage, I point out that they were selling these car brand new for under $10,000 OTD at the time. Once again - The Mirage has some quirks, but it's affordable, reliable, and economical. Since the Mirage appears to be reliable, I don't see myself having a car payment for the next 10 years or so. If I do have a car payment some time beyond that, it's because I decided to replace my Forester.

I really like new, inexpensive, beater cars! If you take care of them, they last you a very long time! Some people complain about how much these cars depreciate. That would only apply to someone who changes vehicles every few years or overpaid (by allowing dealers to add silly cost items to the deal) for the car. In my opinion, I bought a new car that will have the lowest depreciation of anything else on the market at the time.

The Mirage is the cheapest thing I own with an engine. I've have easily over 30k into my old truck and 12 year old side by side that I use maybe 2-3 times a year(hopefully more this year).

The car is the best investment I've made so far, even if I have to replace the entire drivetrain in a year I'll still be further ahead moneywise that with anything else I've ever owned so far. Cheap to buy and cheap to fix as long as you don't crash or go to the dealer.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Loren (02-14-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My $600 engine replacement totally agrees with the above.

Simplify and add lightness.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-18-2020)