Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Add one more from Canada

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Add one more from Canada

Hi everyone!

New owner from Toronto, Canada. Just picked up a 2019 ES with CVT for my wife about a week ago. Her car gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. I had already begun researching her new car. It had to be a hatch, good on gas, reliable and no more than a year or two old. She commutes to work in the city, runs errands on the weekends and uses highways when visiting family or friends. So a gas guzzling car or suv is not economical for what she needs.

I always liked the 2014-15 models of the mirage and even more the 2017 and up models. So the mirage was already towards the top of the list. We knew it was most likely to be the mirage but We looked at other vehicles just to see if something would sway our decision. We looked at the Chevy spark but the car felt too small and cramped inside compared to the mirage. I'm 6'4, 230lbs and I have no problem fitting in the mirage. Plus, her old car being a GM and the problems we had with it left a bad taste in our mouths so it quickly got dropped from the running.

I've read every review, watched every video on the mirage and couldn't understand how all the "professional" car reviewers hated the car yet every owner praised the vehicle. They all claimed "it's too slow", "too dangerous", "can't keep up with traffic" so on and so on. So I had to see for myself. We took the mirage out for a test drive and knew instantly they were all full of it. With 3 people in the car it got up to speed, merged on the highway and kept up With traffic no problem! She loved it immediately so we made the deal! And I won't lie, I was more excited bringing it home than she was lol

The car has been here for just over a week and she is just thrilled with the car. The gas mileage is insane on this little beast. By our guestimation, she will cut her gas consumption down to a 1/4 from her previous car that's incredible! Plus the warranty from Mitsubishi, we couldn't be happier with our decision. Looking forward to reading all the post on the forum and getting to know the mirage inside and out!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 905mirage For This Useful Post:

Eggman (02-15-2020),MetroMPG (02-15-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 905mirage View Post
    Hi everyone!

New owner from Toronto, Canada. Just picked up a 2019 ES with CVT for my wife about a week ago. Her car gave up the ghost a couple of weeks ago. I had already begun researching her new car. It had to be a hatch, good on gas, reliable and no more than a year or two old. She commutes to work in the city, runs errands on the weekends and uses highways when visiting family or friends. So a gas guzzling car or suv is not economical for what she needs.

!
    The gas mileage is insane, and the handling is above average for sure. Mirages feel like go carts, I have a 2014 so 6 years almost and at first there was a novelty to the car. Soon I will be buying a Subaru 5 speed manual base Impreza, or perhaps a Hyundai FWD 5 speed Venue small-cuv.

Not sure but leaning Subaru, even with their notorious engine reputation, not sure all true. Mirage is fun, but after 6 years I want a less puny car at 6'1 and maybe 149lbs myself I don't feel I fit in well in my Mirage. Maybe better than you would expect, but even with the seat all back, I can't get comfortable like in a 2019 Santa Fe for example, like a rental I had when traveling out West last year. Alberta but I chickened out out driving at the Alberta/BC border lol. Anyways not used to the mountains

I am near Sarnia but this is the internet lol

My friend is 6'6 and probably 330 lbs or so and he could barely fit in my Mirage when I first got it. I love my Mirage but I am tired of it. I was super skinny when I bought my Mirage when I was like 31 I think. So... I will keep my Mirage and customize as I want it is my plan. Gold rims and custom exhaust

It's just my rural commute almost needs a better car, as capable as my Mirage is in so many drives home in the snow at night with no traffic or snowplows and more falcons than cars.

You get the Grand Bend effect around here weather-wise, so I might go AWD, and sedan for once, I was always hatchback eh.
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-15-2020 at 07:08 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Hello 905mirage and welcome to the forum.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Welcome, 905mirage!

Congrats on the new Mirage. What was the GM model that was replaced?

Curious: did you consider a Micra? (Nissan has cancelled it --2019 is the last model year. But they've still got stock.)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Welcome

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Mirage is fun, but after 6 years I want a less puny car at 6'1 and maybe 149lbs myself I don't feel I fit in well in my Mirage. Maybe better than you would expect, but even with the seat all back, I can't get comfortable like in a 2019 Santa Fe for example
    Mirage to Sante Fe is definitely a night and day difference when it comes to size. My wife is 5'5, 130lbs, the mirage fits her like a glove and for the intended use, it's perfect. I don't find it too cramped at all but then again, taking it on an extended cross country road trip may prove different. I am already looking forward to customizing it for her. I bought an arm rest and had it delivered even before we picked up the car. It was funny walking into the dealership with the arm rest ready to go lol

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 905mirage For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-15-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Welcome, 905mirage!

Congrats on the new Mirage. What was the GM model that was replaced?

Curious: did you consider a Micra? (Nissan has cancelled it --2019 is the last model year. But they've still got stock.)
    Thanks, we're very happy with it so far. We replaced a 2006 Pontiac G6. The wife's had pretty much all GM's vehicles since she's been driving. All were pretty reliable, but the G6 always had something going wrong with it. Along with one major defect ( the bad electronic power steering module) would cut out without notice leaving the car almost impossible to steer. GM stepped up and extended the warranty on it for the life of the car and unlimited mileage but even with that, it was pretty dangerous. They replaced it once in 2010 and once in 2012. Luckily, she only had it happen 4 times at low speed and the only way to correct it was to muscle the car off the road, turn it off and on again and it would reset.

The final straw was the ECM went on it. Although I do all the work myself, jut wasn't worth it for 14 year old car. We did look at the Micra but the wife liked the mirage better in every way.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I am already looking forward to customizing it for her. I bought an arm rest and had it delivered even before we picked up the car. It was funny walking into the dealership with the arm rest ready to go lol
    Yea eh, nice. What arm rest did you buy?

The Santa Fe was a free upgrade at the car rental place at the Edmonton Airport. I liked that I sat up so much compared to my Mirage. Way more legroom and arm room. I got 8.3 L/100 km's fuel economy for my trip from Edmonton to Jasper and back. Pretty good, but not like my Mirage's record of 4.2L/ 100 km's over mackinaw bridge in Michigan.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Yea eh, nice. What arm rest did you buy?
    Actually, picked up the same one I found on this forum that others recommended lol
    This one here:

https://www.amazon.ca/Rotatable-Leat...1787509&sr=8-5

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 905mirage For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,683 Times in 2,102 Posts
    Hi everyone!

The car has been here for just over a week and she is just thrilled with the car. The gas mileage is insane on this little beast. By our guestimation, she will cut her gas consumption down to a 1/4 from her previous car that's incredible! Plus the warranty from Mitsubishi, we couldn't be happier with our decision. Looking forward to reading all the post on the forum and getting to know the mirage inside and out!
    Sounds your wife and you are happy new Mirage owners. After some research, a person finds out that the Mirage does check a lot of the right boxes, especially for the money.

Look forward to your future posts about your new Mirage. Welcome to the forum!