Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel to the right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    There's a few head-scratching things going on here. I'm giving up trying to figure out your front end. Let's talk about your rear numbers. I assume your latest alignment printout is from a Mitsubishi dealer?

As the owner of a 2015, one thing that jumps out is the rear toe specification on your latest alignment sheet. It says the valid range is 0 to .20 degrees...

Name:  new-specs.jpg
Views: 406
Size:  23.8 KB

That is a tighter range than Mitsubishi has been using since 2014 (a good thing in my opinion).

The rear toe range for 2014-2015 was wider: -.03 to .28 degrees....

Name:  old toe specs.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  21.9 KB

Based on the "new" specs on your alignment sheet, my rear axle is now out-of range!

...their test started at 0.25 and 0 and ended at 0.20 and 0.05. Not sure what is up with that. Shouldn't this NOT be changing?
    You are correct when you look at your rear toe numbers. It was toed in by .25 on the left side when they first hooked up the alignment heads. Someone leaned on the car or breathed on the alignment machine and somehow the final left side reading became .20 degrees and is suddenly within spec.

Name:  toe-dealer.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  14.5 KB

You are in a bit of a pickle. Unless the guys at Pep Boys are completely incompetent (certainly possible), how did they come up with that .34 degree left rear toe reading?

Name:  toe-pepboys.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  16.5 KB

The left rear toe reading of .34 from Pep Boys is a problem.
    The left rear toe reading of .20 from the dealer is OK.
    So which reading is accurate?

If this was my car, I'd seek out another shop (a good independent place) and get a third opinion on the rear axle numbers. If you don't want to mess with it, then just keep an eye on how that left rear tire is wearing. You have 50,000 miles to get a replacement axle if you need one.

FYI...

My left rear wheel has a positive toe reading of 0.23 degrees. I have 80K miles on one set of tires that have been regularly rotated. So you don't have to have a perfect rear alignment...but it certainly helps.

Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-26-2020 at 08:24 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The dealer contracts this out to another shop because they don't have an alignment machine. This is whoever they paid to do it. I probably paid more to have it done this way but I wanted to get the rear axle results from their place to try to prove it.

You should have seen their reaction when I stated that as a potential concern. They instantly were like "why would you think it is THAT" and very negative about the whole thing. IDK if they were just upset a young person was telling them what could potentially be wrong or they are a bit sleazy but either way they didn't really want to entertain that idea. Honestly not surprised strange things were going on in that reading.

I will say my dash cam footage I got of this alignment is comedy gold. I should crop it and upload.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 02-26-2020 at 11:57 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    I will say my dash cam footage I got of this alignment is comedy gold. I should crop it and upload.
    Looking forward to it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have not been driving much lately due to COVID. Had to go out to do some essential stuff last night and a hit a slight pothole on the NJ turnpike. Very soon after my wheel is back to the left 15 degrees again

I just don't understand. I have never had a car that gets misaligned so easily. I can't imagine spending another $100+ for this to happen again in a few months. I suppose you could blame me for accidentally hitting this pothole but it's not like I am going down some shady street this is the highway! I spend much of my time actively avoiding potholes as some streets are notoriously bad. In my Grand Cherokee you could hit moon craters and the alignment was fine.

At this point I am not even sure what to do? 1. Pay another $100+ for another alignment. 2. Live with it off center. 3. Bring it back to the dealer and complain it keeps coming out of alignment easily. Is this something that should be tightened better? I had absolutely no wheel/tire problems.

What do you guys think?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The oddball thing is the rear in their test started at 0.25 and 0 and ended at 0.20 and 0.05. Not sure what is up with that. Shouldn't this NOT be changing? Also it is pretty far off from my last results.
    It's actually pretty darned good that it was that close. They probably just shifted the "thrust angle" a little bit while they were turning wrenches. Notice that the total rear toe is the same. That's an indication that nothing changed back there.

And .05 degrees of toe converted to inches that you could measure at the tire tread is about .02 inches. It's damn near nothing. Notice that the tolerance for total rear toe is 0.5 degrees? That's a total tolerance of 0.2 inches.

Factory alignment tolerances are typically pretty wide. Why is that? Because the exact numbers aren't that critical. As long as you're not at the ragged edge of the tolerance. (unless that's where you WANT to be for some reason... like motorsports competition)

I'd be more concerned about what's causing your front toe to suddenly go out like that. Clearly, all they did with your alignment was to adjust the front toe. And I don't blame them, everything else was pretty much in spec, and front toe is really easy to adjust.

But, maybe you've got strut mounting bolts that aren't quite tight enough and are allowing the camber adjustment to slip a little bit when you smack a bump the wrong way? Any adjustment to camber causes a corresponding toe change, which can throw the steering wheel off.

If you've got more than 20-30k miles on the car, it's remotely possible that you could have a blown strut or shock that's causing some kind of a ride height issue. Most likely in the front, but even a blown rear shock could cause the car to sit crooked... if one corner goes down, the opposite corner goes up. The way suspension works, ANY change in ride height will cause a slight change in camber... which causes a slight change in toe.

Lots to think about, eh?
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    I agree with Loren. If it were my car, I would be happy the way it is. I have not much idea what the roads are like in your area, but according to your description they must be like in rural Africa or Siberia!
    At six years old my car has all the original hub caps, no bent rims, and never ever has a bump or pothole messed up anything. In fact, the last pothole I saw must have been years ago. My job gets me to drive to extremely remote places and areas. Partly through closed-off roads in the sticks in the montains of natural reserves, and so on, even in winter.

There are many myths and strange beliefs concerning front camber adjustment on these cars!
    Front camber is easily adjustable in a range of nearly 1° on the car as it comes from the factory. If you install a camber bolt, there is practically no limit.

I have done all alignment on my cars by myself for decades. To do that, you need a 100% flat surface for parking, a laser spirit level, and an accurate vertical angle indicator.

There is one thread each in this forum about how to check and correct toe-in, camber, and how to check caster.
    Last edited by foama; 04-27-2020 at 10:18 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Loren (04-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have not been driving much lately due to COVID. Had to go out to do some essential stuff last night and a hit a slight pothole on the NJ turnpike. Very soon after my wheel is back to the left 15 degrees again

I just don't understand. I have never had a car that gets misaligned so easily. I can't imagine spending another $100+ for this to happen again in a few months. I suppose you could blame me for accidentally hitting this pothole but it's not like I am going down some shady street this is the highway! I spend much of my time actively avoiding potholes as some streets are notoriously bad. In my Grand Cherokee you could hit moon craters and the alignment was fine.

At this point I am not even sure what to do? 1. Pay another $100+ for another alignment. 2. Live with it off center. 3. Bring it back to the dealer and complain it keeps coming out of alignment easily. Is this something that should be tightened better? I had absolutely no wheel/tire problems.

What do you guys think?
    All service and adjustments are covered for the first year of ownership for the original owner. I think you should take it back to your dealer and see what they say, and don't let them charge you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The adjustments is 12-mos/12,000 miles. I am beyond the 12,000 miles so alignments are not covered under warranty. I am at 16.6k miles so nothing should be going wrong yet.

NJ has some terrible roads. Problems arise because some roads are owned by three different agencies and they can't agree where one starts and the other stops.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 04-27-2020 at 10:42 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (04-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The adjustments is 12-mos/12,000 miles. I am beyond the 12,000 miles so alignments are not covered under warranty. I am at 16.6k miles so nothing should be going wrong yet.

NJ has some terrible roads. Problems arise because some roads are owned by three difference agencies and they can't agree where one starts and the other stops.
    Wouldn't hurt to ask. Your call.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  hmm.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  65.8 KB

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (04-28-2020),Loren (04-28-2020),poorman1 (04-28-2020)