Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel to the right?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Steering Wheel to the right?

Last edited by Mirageman38; 06-22-2020 at 09:49 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    ...steering wheel is slightly to the right
    ...doesn't pull at all
    ...passed the alignment check
    ...ideas?
    If the steering wheel isn't centered while a front-end alignment is performed, you end up with a perfectly aligned front end...but the steering wheel is slightly off to one side. My Mirage has been like this since day 1. They just don't spend a lot of time lining these things up at the factory. I just never realized it until after I had the front end aligned under warranty.

This is easily corrected if you let the alignment guys know before they start the alignment (it's just a simple tie-rod adjustment on both sides). Most alignment tech's don't notice the wheel being slightly off-center when they pull the car in on a rack. They are supposed to make sure the steering wheel is centered before they start the alignment process, but many times they overlook this step.

There may even be a Mitsubishi TSB for this?!?

Here is a Mazda TSB that explains the fix. Again, this is common for alignment techs to do this.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-15-2020 at 07:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-27-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Since you are driving a 2019 model year Mirage, all adjustments (will/should) be covered under the first year warranty. Take it to your dealer for resolution, and be sure to make note of the steering wheel orientation during operation.

I did this and my dealer found my rear axle out of alignment (just barely.) My rear axle was replaced under warranty at no cost to me.

I hope you didn't pay for that alignment. I wouldn't send you back to that Pep Boys shop for any further work unless you have no other choice.

And thanks for making a forum Garage entry. It was easy to see what model year you have.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-16-2020 at 11:39 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Ha no I just did the free alignment check. I figured they would be happy to make money on anything possibly wrong. As for the warranty I am beyond 12,000 miles so while it is less than a year I don't qualify for the adjustment period. It showed up right after 12,000 and I am at about 14,400 now.

Little bit of garbage how the adjustments are about "manufacturing deficiencies" but they won't give you longer... if all this needs is a better alignment I might be better off going elsewhere. With coupons you can get $130 lifetime alignments and it seems 2 alignments over the life of the car makes it pay for itself.
    Have you spoken with your dealer about this? I'm curious to know if your dealer has denied coverage. They should at least check it for you and give a quote.

I had a free alignment check at an NTB, but it didn't include adjustment - just a check.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    They said it passed the alignment check.
    Just curious... Did they give you a print-out showing your current alignment readings? If they did, post it so we can see the numbers.

Kinda strange as I know for a fact this was not like this from the factory.
    I don't have an explanation for why this would suddenly start happening. But know that you are not the first Mirage owner to have a good alignment...but an off-center steering wheel.

...you can get $130 lifetime alignments and it seems 2 alignments over the life of the car makes it pay for itself.
    If you are keeping your car for the long run, $130 for lifetime alignments is a good deal. It will definitely pay for itself. Just pick a shop that has a good reputation. I'm not sure if I would put Pep Boys in that category.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The alignment check is 4 sensors slapped on wheels and read by a head. The check is not even done on an alignment machine.

You get partial results, front total toe (not each wheel), and steering angle is not factored in at all (in fact if both wheelspoint left, most machines make you "centre" the steering wheel but they don't care what the actual wheel does, they just want a front end wheel average.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I did another alignment check today. The guy said the rear left wheel was out of spec. I don't remember ever hitting anything with the left rear. What do I do now since that is not adjustable?

I still plan do bring it to the dealer this weekend but it seems like this might be the rear alignment problems showing up late? I just hope the warranty cover this because I don't want to drive with a crooked wheel or shell out $1000+ on a car that is 6 months old.

I would ask the dealership to check the alignment again. Whether you tell them what you already know is up to you.

If the rear wheel is out of alignment, that should be covered by your bumper-to-bumper warranty. Plus this -

In addition to the warranties listed above, every new Mitsubishi also comes with Restraint System coverage for seat belts and airbags of 5 years or 60,000 miles under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, along with 12 months/12,000 miles coverage for adjustments; if required as a result of a manufacturing defect.

Dealing with this issue early on is probably best!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did another alignment check today. The guy said the rear left wheel was out of spec.
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record...did they give you a print-out of your alignment readings? If so, post them here. It's hard to say what's going on without seeing the actual values from your car.

What do I do now...
    Start by taking 5 minutes to read this: Rear Alignment Problem FAQ

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    At the risk of sounding like a broken record...did they give you a print-out of your alignment readings? If so, post them here. It's hard to say what's going on without seeing the actual values from your car.

Start by taking 5 minutes to read this: Rear Alignment Problem FAQ
    I know I know lol sorry about the printouts. For some reason none of these places either want to give them to me or their printer is broken. I will make the dealer print it out no matter what next time.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Check out this video. If your rear axle alignment is really out of whack, this could explain why your steering wheel is not centered...