Thread: More interior plastic parts falling off, 3rd time.. with photos

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

More interior plastic parts falling off, 3rd time.. with photos

A plastic interior piece broke off randomly in my Mirage the other day. I just discovered this now. The cover for the passenger seat belt.

Not sure why, but maybe the extreme cold temperatures this week in Ontario. I have had other plastic interior pieces randomly fall off and unclip other winters, as well as my heat shield.

The other time something randomly broke off in my interior was the plastic part in the middle of the passenger area, where the one cupholder is, broke off also on its own.

Name:  interior piece.jpg
Views: 752
Size:  75.7 KB

The part I'm holding there above the floormat. Just snapped back into place with zero effort.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    That happens to me all the time with riders getting out of the backseat. Snaps right back on. Cheap plastic car, what can you do?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    That happens to me all the time with riders getting out of the backseat. Snaps right back on. Cheap plastic car, what can you do?
    I busted off a plastic part with my work boot the first day I owned my Mirage. It was a plastic piece on the front of driver's seat slide rail. My boot just snapped it off. I tossed it, & I haven't had a problem with it since.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-15-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ya eh right on cheap plastic car. No doubt. One thing though is I feel confident my Mirage has a high-quality engine. I can just tell. My Mirage makes 0 noise idling, where I hear my friends with 2013 Escapes that have such a rough idle and belts. It's just maybe I baby my Mirage and take care of my car, and/or the overall quality of the mechanics. Look at the fuel economy, saves you money plus the good fuel economy shows the engineering.

If the Mirage's i3 engine was a 6 cylinder, it'd be a 2.4 L 6 so that's crazy tiny pistons etc.

I was this close to buying a new Lancer, so I'm glad I went Mirage - though I want a bigger car and keep my Mirage for the summer.
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-15-2020 at 07:15 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    Ya eh right on cheap plastic car. No doubt. One thing though is I feel confident my Mirage has a high-quality engine. I can just tell. My Mirage makes 0 noise idling, where I hear my friends with 2013 Escapes that have such a rough idle and belts. It's just maybe I baby my Mirage and take care of my car, and/or the overall quality of the mechanics. Look at the fuel economy, saves you money plus the good fuel economy shows the engineering.

If the Mirage's i3 engine was a 6 cylinder, it'd be a 2.4 L 6 so that's crazy tiny pistons etc.

I was this close to buying a new Lancer, so I'm glad I went Mirage - though I want a bigger car and keep my Mirage for the summer.
    I especially like the powertrain of the manual Mirage, too. Personally, I don't find the car to be underpowered at all. Than again, my first car was a 1978 Honda Civic Wagon with 63 hp. Likewise, my former 1990 Ford Festiva was 63 hp. Those vehicles didn't have A/C taxing their engines, however. Thus, the little boost in hp is appreciated for that. I seldom use A/C, however. I also know your Mirage (base level) in Canada didn't have A/C prior to this year.

I don't think driving to work to work in a 130 hp Honda Fit would get me there any faster than my 78 hp Mirage. I like the thought of doing more with less. Filling up the gas tank next to most other vehicles @ the pump is also quite satisfying.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Plastic parts can become very brittle in the cold. I would wait until it gets warmer before clipping something back on.

Additionally, plastics have a high temperature coefficient, meaning it expands and contracts a lot depending on temperature.

I'm happy nothing has ever broken off on my 2014 model.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post

Thats always been Mitsu's way. Cheaper fit and finish than Honda, but good quality powertrain. It's how they're able to charge less for their cars.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The Mirage has a good powerband for sure, but it is tricky to find the sweet spot sometimes, and the Reverse on the manual has been sticky on my Mirage from day 1. Overall I would say that I especially like the way my car handles corners, and the small size for easy parking anywhere.

I should have waited to put the plastic part back on, but the thing did just snap into place perfectly. Now you would never know it that the plastic part fell off.

Honda makes a nice product, though I think Honda's and Toyota's are overrated, and Mitsubishi's underrated for their value in their powertrain quality above all else. I think Mitsubishis ride better than Civics, Nissan Sentras are smoother too.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I especially like the powertrain of the manual Mirage, too. Personally, I don't find the car to be underpowered at all. Than again, my first car was a 1978 Honda Civic Wagon with 63 hp. Likewise, my former 1990 Ford Festiva was 63 hp. Those vehicles didn't have A/C taxing their engines, however. Thus, the little boost in hp is appreciated for that. I seldom use A/C, however. I also know your Mirage (base level) in Canada didn't have A/C prior to this year.

I don't think driving to work to work in a 130 hp Honda Fit would get me there any faster than my 78 hp Mirage. I like the thought of doing more with less. Filling up the gas tank next to most other vehicles @ the pump is also quite satisfying.
    My commute to work takes the same in my mirage as it does in my nearly 400hp truck.

Yup, that's missing on both sides from mine too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)