Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Help! Locked out of car while engine was warming up?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirageman38 View Post
    It better let me lock the doors while the car is running. Too many seedy areas near me where I click the lock button by instinct. My brother had a guy try to jump in his car at a traffic light once!
    My Mirage lets me lock the doors while it's running. I don't see why your Mirage would be any different.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Do you have a spare key to unlock doors but not start the car?

This might be a useful feature. You can leave your car running & lock the doors. A spare key kept in your pocket can be used to unlock the door using the door lock. The spare key wouldn't need the remote lock/unlock buttons or a transponder programmed to start your Mirage. Just a simple key to get you in.
    I do have a spare key to get in thank god, but the question is why did it lock with the key in the ignition and the car warming up? This has never happened to me before. There's supposed to be no way the car door will lock if I open the door and get out and close the door right?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Hypothetical: car is running and you can lock if all the doors are closed just like any car but the second you open the door it automatically unlocks and door opens. I'm just trying to figure out what set of circumstances happened for me to be locked out this morning. I must of done something?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Lately I lock my Mirage when I get out by using the door lock button. I keep my F.A.S.T. key in my pocket, where it's supposed to be, open the door, step out, get whatever things out of the back, hit the door lock button on the driver's side door, then close the door. Speck will stay locked.

Can't remember for sure because I haven't done this for a while, but I recall that if I leave my F.A.S.T. key inside the car then try to lock the doors, they will immediately unlock. My pushbutton start system works a little different from the standard system.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I don't have fast key, just key with built in fob.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    This morning I was getting ready for my uber driving shift and something happened that never happened before. I started the engine to warm up, exited my car, came back after 5 mins and I was locked out while the car was running! Luckily I was at home and had a spare set of keys, but the spare fob wouldnt unlock the car, I had to manually turn the knob to get in. I thought it was impossible for this to happen if the key was in the ignition? I did notice when I cranked it the overhead dome light dimmed lower. I hope this isnt an alternator issue?
    I can't seem to replicate the situation that happened to you either, & I just went outside to test it again. I have chipped keys like you with keyless remotes that allow you to lock & unlock your Mirage.

I started my car (left my driver's window open to test). When I hit the lock button on driver's door, it locks & immediately unlocks the driver's door in an instant. It will not allow you to lock the driver's door (while the door is open) with the key in the ignition (engine running or not). Once the door is closed, you can lock the door with the car running or not. I even did from the outside through the window, and the car locked. With the door open, however, no luck. It will not lock with the key in the ignition. I like that, too! If I hop out of the car to get the mail or something, I don't worry about accidentally locking myself out while the car is running.

Automatic locks have always made me a bit paranoid. The only car that I never worried about locking myself out of was my first one. My 1978 Honda Civic Wagon had manual locks. Inserting the key from the outside with the driver's door closed was the only way you could lock the door. It would not allow you manually lock the door any other way. Sort of a pain to do, but you never locked your keys in the car that way. I can't say the same for other manual locking cars that I had owned. I usually hid a key on those cars, because locking yourself out was way more common.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-16-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I'm just hoping it was a one time glitch and not future electrical issues to deal with. That was nice of you to test out your system on my account. I think from now on Ill just have to be mindful to have window down or door ajar.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    You live in Atlanta...what are you warming up your car for anyway?!? Stop wasting gas!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Basic (02-17-2020),MetroMPG (02-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'm just hoping it was a one time glitch and not future electrical issues to deal with. That was nice of you to test out your system on my account. I think from now on Ill just have to be mindful to have window down or door ajar.
    I don't trust automatic locks. Sometimes, I will start my car at school & then remember I left something in my classroom. If I leave the car running, I will leave a window open. If I am getting my mail (rural mailbox) no big deal, I am near my extra key.

I seen it happen a few times. Teachers go outside to warm up their cars, & lock their keys inside while it's running. If they live a distance from school, it becomes a real pain for them.

I'm more of a start & go type of guy. Remote starter seem like a waste of gas to me. I did, however, use my engine block heater the other morning when it was -15F. That does make a difference on cold morning. I can tell by the engine temperature light kicking out earlier than normal going down the road.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Anybody have any ideas? Maybe the fuse is blown? It worked fine all day today driving. I'm out of ideas.