Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Help! Locked out of car while engine was warming up?

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    Maybe you could get a job with Mitsubishi product testing; cvt division, of course.
    I'd just go in the board room and beg them to build a new Zero fighter. I always thought that'd be a cool name for a Mitsu model.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'd just go in the board room and beg them to build a new Zero fighter. I always thought that'd be a cool name for a Mitsu model.
    One of the old guys at work was going on about Zeros for some reason during a meeting a few weeks ago. Like planted in conversation about something else. Just goes to show, they are so famous/infamous. Mirage is a fighter plane's name from a 1980s or 90s fighterjet, and so is "G4," so you're on to something already.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    One of the old guys at work was going on about Zeros for some reason during a meeting a few weeks ago. Like planted in conversation about something else. Just goes to show, they are so famous/infamous. Mirage is a fighter plane's name from a 1980s or 90s fighterjet, and so is "G4," so you're on to something already.

The first G4...long range, fuel efficient due to light weight, lack of armor. Sound familiar?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    OK, now it all makes sense!

We don't want Renault to just add a turbo to the Mirage. We want the French to sell us an affordable Dassault Mirage! I'm sure it would come with a boost in power!

https://www.google.com/search?q=dass...h=573&biw=1194

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Does this thread qualify for being off topic yet?

Since it was started by Dirk today, I know that's ok!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Does this thread qualify for being off topic yet?

Since it was started by Dirk today, I know that's ok!
    Dirk's middle name is "off topic"; that or Melvin, I forget which...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    The first G4...long range, fuel efficient due to light weight, lack of armor. Sound familiar?
    Ya I am familiar with this plane, about the size of the B-24, but not nearly as big as a B27, or 29. Funny that Germany also had a lot of mid-range bombers, but lacked the long-range planes the Allies had. Tank-wise, World War 2 was a different story. The Germans had the best tanks at the start of the war. And I suppose the Zero was the best fighter plane in the world at one point, too.

Then came the T34 tank, then came the B29 with the pressurized cabin and mechanical gun turrets. Far cry from the Zero or Spitfire, both built with lots of wood I believe. Fire in the sky for a lot of doomed pilots.

Then you have the naval war, The U-boats had an 80% casualty rate I believe. you could go on all day about this stuff.

***I say long range vs mid-range, but I am more comparing plane sizes and bomb capacity. I know the Zero had great range also. Sorry
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-17-2020 at 01:34 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Japan in the beginning of the Pacific War, had the most sophisticated Navy, especially embracing the aircraft carrier. Nazi Germany got their capital ships knocked out early in the war and only had an effective Uboat design to keep the Battle of the Atlantic going. Now the Japanese Army was the opposite, their soldiers were still fighting with WW1 era weaponry while their Navy was cutting edge. It wasnt until after Midway American manufacturing outpaced the Japanese. Hell we had to drop 2 nukes on the Japanese because we knew invading the home islands was going to cost a million American lives. That's respect in my opinion. My grandpa, who was already a veteran of the New Caledonia and Okinawa campaigns, was on a transport ship heading to Kyoto before they dropped the nukes. He always said he knew he would of perished if he had to be apart of an invasion and I've would of never existed. The Imperial high command knew the Zeros at that point couldnt go toe to toe with the new US fighters, so they marshalled hundreds of them to flown by very green volunteers to effectively be smart middles against the oncoming invasion. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, none of these manufacturers have the history or provenance of Mitsubishi. Check out the new stealth fighter that Mitsubishi is developing with Lockheed Martin, the Shin Shin. I dont see Toyota doing that!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Japan in the beginning of the Pacific War, had the most sophisticated Navy, especially embracing the aircraft carrier. Nazi Germany got their capital ships knocked out early in the war and only had an effective Uboat design to keep the Battle of the Atlantic going. Now the Japanese Army was the opposite, their soldiers were still fighting with WW1 era weaponry while their Navy was cutting edge. It wasnt until after Midway American manufacturing outpaced the Japanese. Hell we had to drop 2 nukes on the Japanese because we knew invading the home islands was going to cost a million American lives. That's respect in my opinion. My grandpa, who was already a veteran of the New Caledonia and Okinawa campaigns, was on a transport ship heading to Kyoto before they dropped the nukes. He always said he knew he would of perished if he had to be apart of an invasion and I've would of never existed. The Imperial high command knew the Zeros at that point couldnt go toe to toe with the new US fighters, so they marshalled hundreds of them to flown by very green volunteers to effectively be smart middles against the oncoming invasion. Honda, Toyota, Nissan, none of these manufacturers have the history or provenance of Mitsubishi. Check out the new stealth fighter that Mitsubishi is developing with Lockheed Martin, the Shin Shin. I dont see Toyota doing that!

, but GM (made home appliances for 60 years) owned Frigidaire between 1919 to 1979.

Actually, GM did way more than that. "During World War II, GM led the largest commercial-to-military war production effort in American history. In 1942, the company converted all of factories to produce $12 billion worth of airplanes, trucks, tanks, guns, and shells for the US military." Nov 24, 2008

Not having lived through that time period, it hard to imagine the impact World War I & II had on our country & world.

People like your grandfather Dirk are the real heroes! Thanks for sharing all that!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    , but GM (made home appliances for 60 years) owned Frigidaire between 1919 to 1979.

Actually, GM did way more than that. "During World War II, GM led the largest commercial-to-military war production effort in American history. In 1942, the company converted all of factories to produce $12 billion worth of airplanes, trucks, tanks, guns, and shells for the US military." Nov 24, 2008

Not having lived through that time period, it hard to imagine the impact World War I & II had on our country & world.

People like your grandfather Dirk are the real heroes! Thanks for sharing all that!
    Oh yes indeed on the American end, every big manufacturer had a big role to play. It's funny to think the Jeeps made back then are more reliable than the ones they make today lol.