Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help! Locked out of car while engine was warming up?

I’ve had drivers lock the keys in mirages a bunch of times. Only way I can figure it happened was they hit the lock button on the key before putting it in the ignition as it’s impossible to lock the door while it’s open and the key all the way in the ignition.

On most imports I’ve had you had to lock the door normally and lift the outer door handle while closing it otherwise it’d unlock.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,711 Times in 2,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Anybody have any ideas? Maybe the fuse is blown? It worked fine all day today driving. I'm out of ideas.
    If a fuse was blown, I don't think the electric door locks would not work period. Your car would remain unlocked, unless you manually locked each door on the car. The only key slot is on the driver's door, and it only manipulates that door.

If a fuse was blown & my electric locks weren't working, I could manually push each door lock closed. I don't know how I would lock the hatch, however? Some hatches I've had in the past had some type of manual locking lever, but I don't see one on a Mirage.
    Last edited by Mark; 02-16-2020 at 08:20 PM.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I’ve had drivers lock the keys in mirages a bunch of times. Only way I can figure it happened was they hit the lock button on the key before putting it in the ignition as it’s impossible to lock the door while it’s open and the key all the way in the ignition.

On most imports I’ve had you had to lock the door normally and lift the outer door handle while closing it otherwise it’d unlock.
    I'm going to test that out. Get in car hit lock on the fob then put in ignition and crank. Then check to see if door doesnt automatically unlock when I open the door.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post

I think Fummins has solved the mystery. The only way I can lock my keys in the ignition is -

Open the driver's door & accidentally hit the door lock button. The car is now entirely locked with driver's door still open. I put the keys in the ignition & start the car while still having the locked driver's door open, because I know that I am just starting it to warm up. The car starts, and I now slam the locked door shut as I leave it. I have just now locked my keys in a running Mirage.

You can accidentally lock the driver's door before putting the keys in the ignition, & the driver's door will remain locked. If you just started your car without actually closing/reopening the driver's door (which would unlock it again), you have just accomplished the impossible! Make sense?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-16-2020),MetroMPG (02-18-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm going to test that out. Get in car hit lock on the fob then put in ignition and crank. Then check to see if door doesnt automatically unlock when I open the door.
    That's not it I don't believe. Did you start your car while your driver's door was still open? If you accidentally locked the driver's door, & then put the keys in the ignition/started the car, the open driver's door remains locked. When you slam it shut, you have just locked up your car with the keys in the ignition.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-16-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That's not it I don't believe. Did you start your car while your driver's door was still open? If you accidentally locked the driver's door, & then put the keys in the ignition/started the car, the open driver's door remains locked. When you slam it shut, you have just locked up your car with the keys in the ignition.
    Thats it! Mark and Fummins, your geniuses. I always start my car with the door open because I go back inside for a minute. That's what happened!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Mitsu tried to make the locking system idiot proof. Well they ain't meet Dirk Diggler, the ultimate idiot!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-16-2020)

Don’t feel dumb. That’s nothing, Someone at work did the same thing twice in one week. Others who have been driving mirages for years call me in a panic saying there’s a green thermometer light on the dash that’s never came on before.
    Idiot proof the world and they’ll invent a better idiot lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-16-2020),MetroMPG (02-18-2020),poorman1 (02-16-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsu tried to make the locking system idiot proof. Well they ain't meet Dirk Diggler, the ultimate idiot!
    It's was a good lesson for all us, because we all have our idiot moments.

If you start your Mirage with you door open, make sure the car is unlocked. I even find myself doing that at times with a clutch. I slip my right foot in to push in the clutch and start the car with the door open.

Good lesson for all of us today!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Maybe you could get a job with Mitsubishi product testing; cvt division, of course.