Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used 2011 Ranger, loaded, low kms. $16,950

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Used 2011 Ranger, loaded, low kms. $16,950

Considering Ford priced the final production of 2011 Rangers, completely loaded BTW, @$11,750 seeing a used one nearly 10 years later and $5,000 over the factory invoice is dumbfounding.

I wish I had bought a dozen and parked them in my barn. Oh well, you never see these things coming.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-18-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    After seeing you own 3 5speed Mirages Wally, I'm going to have to insist your next one be the CVT version. It's only fair bro, lol.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    Considering Ford priced the final production of 2011 Rangers, completely loaded BTW, @$11,750 seeing a used one nearly 10 years later and $5,000 over the factory invoice is dumbfounding.

I wish I had bought a dozen and parked them in my barn. Oh well, you never see these things coming.
    I'm not sure 2011 Rangers with low km's are really worth that much, or going to be ever worth that much.

Cars are always a risky investment. But I am always shopping for different cars so I can know their prices. Investment wise, you are better off with a truly-mint, and super low miles, and stock Subaru WRX, or say a Mazda RX-7.

If I was going to invest in a truck, I'd get an 80s Bronco or Jimmy, or those Dodge Ram broncos. One of those Dodge Ram broncos in red would be the best.
    Last edited by dspace9; 02-18-2020 at 02:55 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts

I thought vehicles were more expensive in Canada? I don't remember new Ford Rangers being discounted to that level in the States.

"The 2011 Ford Ranger XL Regular Cab's Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) starts around $18,600, while the XLT trim with the six-foot bed starts closer to $20,000. The Ranger SuperCab XL starts just over $20,000, and a fully loaded four-wheel-drive Sport tops out around $29,000."

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

16950/11750 = 1.443
    1.4431/9 = 1.04159

An interest of 4.159% a year is a bit better that the same money on a bank account would have done, but I wouldn't consider it a good investment. And I don't think you could get that money if you didn't do some maintenance in that years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Space Star Cleartec Intense 1.0 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    compared to a 2020 Ranger that 2011 @ $17k is a bargain.

loaded 2020 Ranger @ $48,455 USD plus title, doc fees, taxes, blinker fluid, air in tires, etc.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

bad investment

I remember those new Rangers being sold at stupid low prices too. Was that the last year of production? Ford may have simply been trying to get rid of remaining stock.

I wish I had bought a dozen and parked them in my barn.
    You'd still have been WAAY further ahead by simply stuffing cash into an index fund. Not nearly as fun, though.

$11,750 put in the S&P 500 in January 2011 would be worth over $34ktoday! (Of course not at all a representative timeframe for average investing returns, but still.)

I thought vehicles were more expensive in Canada?
    Generally true! But sometimes there are oddballs. Especially in the "economy" segement.

EG: the price war between the base (no A/C) Spark and Micra (under $10k MSRP). Mirage was in the fight too, but only because the factory almost always offered a cash discount that put it at the same price.

I also remember in the mid-2000's Hyundai was selling 2-door Accent stripper hatchbacks for under $10k MSRP.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (02-19-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Ford was clearing the Canadian pipeline. I got my copy of the Toronto Sun at about 8am and when I finally got through to Tower Ford on the phone (I think it was Tower) a little after 8:30AM ALL their Rangers were sold. They had received nearly a hundred in the prior weeks. I knew this was going to happen, my mistake was not visiting Tower and dropping a deposit with them.

If only the body of my 80's Toyota extra cab 4x4 didn't rust to nothingness so quickly I'd still be driving it. I bent the front axle off-roading, which was a common problem, but once fixed the driveline was indestructible.

$50,000 for a Ranger? No surprise I guess when townhomes are now pushing $500,000 in Niagara Falls. It's really going to be a global mess if it all unwinds. 2008 will look like a glitch.

The Accent was always on my short list. It was getting better every year, it looked pretty good for a small car and i was unaware of the hyundai stalling issue. (I may have just been unlucky with the hyundai's in my life0
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    The Accent was always on my short list. It was getting better every year, it looked pretty good for a small car and i was unaware of the hyundai stalling issue. (I may have just been unlucky with the hyundai's in my life0
    Nope - it's not you, it's Hyundai. They stink.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I've had older fords randomly die, ignition module on distributor would crap out. Wait 10 mins and it'd start back up til it got hot again. Saw late 90's dodge truck randomly die after driving 20 mins on the highway. Turned out to be the fuel pump. Our amrada would die at random, replaced a cam sensor once it finally threw a trouble code and it never died again. None of those problems would make be avoid buying another.

But the one Nissan at work had me questioning why buy more. It would loose throttle at random, once every few weeks, then became more frequent, dealer changed throttle body, gas pedal and it was good for 1 year. Then it came back worse than ever. Van sat at the dealer for weeks while they tried to figure it out. Eventually they ordered a new engine wiring harness from Japan. No problems since. I wouldn't have wanted to be told to track that one down.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)