Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Just bought a 2015 Mirage with only 9500 miles

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    You talking to me?

I'm not sure what you mean. Do you have a printout from an alignment machine you can post...showing the current alignment specs of all 4 wheels?
    I never thought to ask for one as I've never been given one in the past. He didn't say it failed but showed me with a tape measure how the distance from the tire to the tire well on the passenger side measured closer than the driver side.

BTW, I do have the original tires on the rear.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    A prematurely worn out pair of tires is often the first sign a Mirage has a serious alignment problem. This might be the reason your 9K mile Mirage has a new pair of tires. It could also be completely unrelated to an alignment issue...but you need to find out.

A fair number of Mirages also have rear axles with alignment problems (see this for more info). If your car is still under warranty, you may be entitled to a new rear axle if your car needs one.

I'm not getting a warm fuzzy feeling when you say...

...the control arm seemed a little off and also recommended replacement of the strut
    It sounds like this car was cosmetically repaired by the previous owner...but maybe the mechanicals were over-looked?

I'd take this car to a good alignment shop and have a 4-wheel alignment check done soon. Be sure to get a printout of the results. Post the alignment numbers here if you aren't sure what you're looking at.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-18-2020)

Good advice.

I just replaced the entire rf suspension on a car the other day. Car was hit right in the wheel, broke the spindle where it bolts to the strut. Control arm looked okay but replaced it anyways.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It did have a front end accident resulting in replacement of the right headlight and fender. The guy said he replaced the control arm(I'm thinking either from a junkyard or he bent it back). The strut still has the label from the factory equipment but it doesn't look as straight as it should (hence the tire being a little close to the well). The dealer is taking care of a recall Friday, I'll see about that 4 wheel alignment check.

Attachment 17110 Bent strut=bad time
    If it's bent I'd just source some used parts from car-part.com 2014-2019 will all interchange for the control arm and spindle. The struts have different dampening or spring rate for the 2017 and newer models but any year(2014-2019(and 2020?) will bolt on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Forcelov (02-19-2020),Top_Fuel (02-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I talked to the guy I bought it from and technically he doesn't have to do anything for me but he said he'll replace the strut. I'm wondering if I should wait til the dealer looks at it and sees the original parts to possibly take care of it under warranty or just let this guy change it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Forcelov View Post
    I talked to the guy I bought it from...he said he'll replace the strut.
    I'd take him up on that offer. He may not know this, but there are no inexpensive aftermarket struts available for the Mirage (if that has changed...someone speak up). His best option is a used strut as Fummins mentioned or a new one from Mitsubishi for $230+...

Name:  struts.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  58.1 KB

I'm wondering if I should wait til the dealer looks at it and sees the original parts to possibly take care of it under warranty or just let this guy change it.
    A bent strut won't be covered by the warranty. If the strut is bent, it's most likely bent from the collision. So get the new strut on and then have a 4-wheel alignment performed.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How in the hell did the AC go out in a car with only 9500 miles? Also one used Mirage buyer to another, dont hold your breath on a Mitsu dealer doing any kind of warranty work for a subsequent owner. We're pretty much persona non grata to Mitsubishi in my experience. Slightly out of spec rear axle, warranty denied, bent heater core tube, warranty denied, another out of spec rear axle on a G4, warranty denied. But hey, they did install a new rear wiper blade and didn't charge me for labor! Your in the same boat as me being a used owner, just avoid Mitsubishi all together honestly with their Mercedes like pricing for parts. I wish someone on here would draw up a comparative chart of parts costs of Nissan vs Mitsubishi. I would but I'd probably just have a panic attack lol.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Attachment 17110 Bent strut=bad time
    If it's bent I'd just source some used parts from car-part.com 2014-2019 will all interchange for the control arm and spindle. The struts have different dampening or spring rate for the 2017 and newer models but any year(2014-2019(and 2020?) will bolt on.
    For a second I thought that strut was laying on your bare chest and you took a selfie lololol.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    How in the hell did the AC go out in a car with only 9500 miles? Also one used Mirage buyer to another, dont hold your breath on a Mitsu dealer doing any kind of warranty work for a subsequent owner. We're pretty much persona non grata to Mitsubishi in my experience. Slightly out of spec rear axle, warranty denied, bent heater core tube, warranty denied, another out of spec rear axle on a G4, warranty denied. But hey, they did install a new rear wiper blade and didn't charge me for labor! Your in the same boat as me being a used owner, just avoid Mitsubishi all together honestly with their Mercedes like pricing for parts. I wish someone on here would draw up a comparative chart of parts costs of Nissan vs Mitsubishi. I would but I'd probably just have a panic attack lol.
    That's what I was wondering about the A/C. The car sat for a while and everything was working when I initially tested it. Wondering if something broke during the few days I've driven it or if maybe it needs a shot of R-134a.