Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CVT Cold start til about 10 Minutes

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

CVT Cold start til about 10 Minutes

Anyone notice or experience on the CVT's how rough the CVT acts when it's cold from below zero (f) to maybe 20 (f)? Spent a lot of time driving once it warms it seems normal. Fluid level perfect changing the CVT fluid this spring and it should be at the perfect mileage everyone recommends on the forum.

When the updated version arrives thinking about purchasing another Mirage but there's a part of me that doesn't want another CVT. We have a family member who only drives automatic so we need one vehicle that's automatic,

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Let that green oil light go out and idle for 5 mins after that and the CVT gets all the kinks out in my opinion and I got the janky 2014 CVT7 version. 5 speed is always better, especially in a econocrapbox, unless you live in a conjested area.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Anyone notice or experience on the CVT's how rough the CVT acts when it's cold from below zero (f) to maybe 20 (f)? Spent a lot of time driving once it warms it seems normal. Fluid level perfect changing the CVT fluid this spring and it should be at the perfect mileage everyone recommends on the forum.

When the updated version arrives thinking about purchasing another Mirage but there's a part of me that doesn't want another CVT. We have a family member who only drives automatic so we need one vehicle that's automatic,
    The owners manual specifically describes your driving experience in cold weather. It states temperatures below 25F (-4C) you should idle a few minutes before driving to warm the CVT up.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not just the CVT but any automatic car when it's that cold will shift not that great until it warms up some. The old 3 speed autos in my older Chrysler's shift all sorts of goofy when they're cold... holding gears and slamming into the next gear.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I’ve owned both a 5-speed and 2 CVTs a 2014 & my current 2017. In my experience unless that green light is out, the car really doesn’t like to be driven. I found it to underperform. I wait in both winter and summer seasons to be on the safe side. Again that’s just me personally.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 40.7 mpg (US) ... 17.3 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Nerdling For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-20-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    And dont be overly concerned if you hear funny noises every once and awhile either. These little 3cylinders are throaty at initial start up in cold weather occasionally. More often times than not, it's nothing but kinks. I just had a master mechanic with 50 years experience explain this to me last week when I took mine in because I heard a short screech when I cranked it. 20 mins later my fiance in her G4 heard the exact same sound. Consistently wet days will produce weird engine noises sometimes in our little simple engines. And don't think 70 mph at 3000 rpms is too high for the A392 engine either, it purrs at that level with the CVT.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdling View Post
    I’ve owned both a 5-speed and 2 CVTs a 2014 & my current 2017. In my experience unless that green light is out, the car really doesn’t like to be driven. I found it to underperform. I wait in both winter and summer seasons to be on the safe side. Again that’s just me personally.
    Not a bad practice.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdling View Post
    I see no reason to give a car more than 30 seconds to warm up. Anything more is a waste of gas. Electronic ignitions are designed to handle this, & driving the car helps it warm up faster.

"Auto experts today say that you should warm up the car no more than 30 seconds before you start driving in winter. "The engine will warm up faster being driven," the EPA and DOE explain. Indeed, it is better to turn your engine off and start it again than to leave it idling.Dec 29, 2014"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

yujinius (02-20-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I see no reason to give a car more than 30 seconds to warm up. Anything more is a waste of gas. Electronic ignitions are designed to handle this, & driving the car helps it warm up faster.

"Auto experts today say that you should warm up the car no more than 30 seconds before you start driving in winter. "The engine will warm up faster being driven," the EPA and DOE explain. Indeed, it is better to turn your engine off and start it again than to leave it idling.Dec 29, 2014"
    Maybe yours is tougher because its a stick? Manual states let the car idle for a few minutes for the CVT version, but you could be right too? I just read on here the CVT7 doesnt like cold fluid or working with a cold engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Maybe yours is tougher because its a stick? Manual states let the car idle for a few minutes for the CVT version, but you could be right too? I just read on here the CVT7 doesnt like cold fluid or working with a cold engine.
    Why would someone wait to warm up a manual transmission? I don't floor my car, but I am surely on my way.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-harms-engine/

This is why I don't understand remote restarters. I can't imagine using one.