Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CVT Cold start til about 10 Minutes

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I don't follow your logic....Mufflers absorb pollution?
    A cybertruck might tow better than an f-150 but so can an f250....But until they start selling the magical cybertruck they can make any claim and promise they want to. When is the tesla semi coming out again???? I won't consider a tesla until the range is better and prices come down, or atleast replacement batteries become affordable.
    I would consider a hyundai ioniq though if I were to get something newer and less prone to dying in.
    I wasn't saying they absorb pollution, just that cars and trucks that have more emissions due to them being designed to outrun Godzilla or an earthquake aren't really good for the environment.

So they should have less emissions control on them? I agree Don't need no stinking catalytic convertor on my truck I tells you what! Besides crack heads are stealing the things like crazy out here lately. Stupid crack heads.

I agree though, nobody really needs more than 100hp to drive to work, school, or the welfare office. It took me a while to figure that one out but if buddy in his amg mercedes wants to blow past me at twice the speed limit I don't care. I might catch up at the next red light in my welfare wagon lol.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (12-01-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didn't say they should have less emissions control. They should emit less by not being manufactured to have that many horsepower.

I also do mind most of the time when they zip past me because the exhaust prevents me from keeping my window open in the warm weather. That and 2nd hand smoke.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Sometimes I leave at 4 am and the first few miles of my travels work the transmission the hardest. I dont want to be idiling and wasting time at 4am so the cvt can warm and function properly. I've been in 100000lb trucks up to 20 speeds under load that are smoother then dotts cvt when cold. Granted its fine after 5 to 10 minutes. A few days I grabbed our pickup I lose 25 mpg but after 30 seconds it runs the same at
    10 degrees or 100. So we have efficent cars and most of us on the forum have much in common on why we like our Mirages. So technically i'm using a larger vehicle that is more polluting and less efficent cause my efficent vehicle needs 10 minutes giving me 0mpg to operate normal.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Sometimes I leave at 4 am and the first few miles of my travels work the transmission the hardest. I dont want to be idiling and wasting time at 4am so the cvt can warm and function properly. I've been in 100000lb trucks up to 20 speeds under load that are smoother then dotts cvt when cold. Granted its fine after 5 to 10 minutes. A few days I grabbed our pickup I lose 25 mpg but after 30 seconds it runs the same at
    10 degrees or 100. So we have efficent cars and most of us on the forum have much in common on why we like our Mirages. So technically i'm using a larger vehicle that is more polluting and less efficent cause my efficent vehicle needs 10 minutes giving me 0mpg to operate normal.
    I agree that it is a detriment to have to wait. If there is any concrete evidence showing that driving 20-30 miles an hour after just 30 seconds has little effect on the wear and tear of the transmission/engine in cold weather as opposed to waiting 5-10 minutes, then I feel better waiting only 30 seconds. There is conflicting information, even from what is claimed to be official manufacturer info- some guidance is as broad as "go easy" and other guidance is to wait til the light goes off. So I am not sure if the manufacturer recommends keeping the car in Park til the light goes off or recommends driving after 30 seconds at the latest. Because I read that the fuel can clog the engine for idling too long- though I imagine it's not much different than idling at a red light. So which is the true ideal? https://e3sparkplugs.com/blog/idling...lugs-and-more/

I am leaning towards driving earlier rather than later. The only thing is the first road I turn onto when I start driving has a speed limit of 45mph. So I am hesitant to go from 0-45mph in 10 seconds. I prefer it to be 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    Sometimes I leave at 4 am and the first few miles of my travels work the transmission the hardest. I dont want to be idiling and wasting time at 4am so the cvt can warm and function properly. I've been in 100000lb trucks up to 20 speeds under load that are smoother then dotts cvt when cold. Granted its fine after 5 to 10 minutes.
    Mine functions properly when cold, above -30 I haven't had problems. It was a little surgey a few times at low speed but nothing that made me want to pull over and sit for 10 mins. I just get in and drive.
    What's going on with yours? Or did I miss that a few pages back? I got derailed a little.

Quote Originally Posted by highwire View Post
    Because I read that the fuel can clog the engine for idling too long- though I imagine it's not much different than idling at a red light. So which is the true ideal? https://e3sparkplugs.com/blog/idling...lugs-and-more/
    I stopped reading that article after the first paragraph. The company is based out of Florida. I'm not saying you gotta idle your junk for 10 mins in -30c but hoping in and hammering on it 30 seconds later won't be too bright. Common sense goes a long ways. Like most topics this could go on for months with everyone having their own opinion.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Mine functions properly when cold, above -30 I haven't had problems. It was a little surgey a few times at low speed but nothing that made me want to pull over and sit for 10 mins. I just get in and drive.
    What's going on with yours? Or did I miss that a few pages back? I got derailed a little.

I stopped reading that article after the first paragraph. The company is based out of Florida. I'm not saying you gotta idle your junk for 10 mins in -30c but hoping in and hammering on it 30 seconds later won't be too bright. Common sense goes a long ways. Like most topics this could go on for months with everyone having their own opinion.
    I didn't think the article was terrible. I also use common sense when driving. I never floor the gas ever. Rather, I drive maybe 30 mph on a 45 mile speed limit (when warming up). The only issue with that is cars behind me tend to pass me and even cross the dashed lines just to keep their speed. Granted they might be tolerant while I pick up speed but my acceleration is really slow since I guage the sounds of the rpm before I use more gas. Keeping the RPM under 2,000 usually results in the smoothest warmup. Pressing on the gas for short bursts is also fine, but going above 3000 for an extended amount of time doesn't seem the best on the engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    "Auto experts today say that you should warm up the car no more than 30 seconds before you start driving in winter. "The engine will warm up faster being driven," the EPA and DOE explain. Indeed, it is better to turn your engine off and start it again than to leave it idling."

"Myth: To improve performance, particularly in cold weather, allow the engine to run for a few minutes before driving.
    Fact: Start the engine and allow it to idle only for the time it takes you to fasten your seat belt. This ensures that lubricating oil gets to all of the engine's vital parts. Driving the car normally and avoiding hard acceleration brings the engine to a warmer temperature faster, and also reduces wear and exhaust emissions. Naturally, a little longer idle time is ok in winter while you clear snow and ice from the windshield and other car parts."

I think commonsense works the best here. I drive about 3 miles (part dead road end & part county road) before hitting the state highway that takes me to town/work. I park my Mirage half-way in the garage during the winter months. I do that to avoid having to scrap the windshield in the morning. My Forester takes one side of the garage, and the Mirage shares space with a UTV & ATV/snow plow parked up front. I live in rural Wisconsin on a dead end road. I pull my garage down after I back out & then go.

Even on the coldest of mornings, my engine temperature light is off long before I reach the state highway & really take off.

If I lived next to the interstate & knew I would be going 70+ mph almost immediately, I may consider a couple minutes of warm up. I do find myself scraping my windshield at work sometimes. I coach a lot and game days can be long. I may have my Mirage run a couple minutes while clearing the windshield, but that's about it.

I have to believe 0W-20 oil doesn't take long to start flowing well in any engine. If you live in a cold climate, I believe an engine block heater is a cheaper/better investment than a remote starter. I understand some people like remote starters, but its not something I would waste money on. Everyone's situation is different, however.

Last edited by Mark; 03-05-2020 at 11:56 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-06-2020),highwire (03-06-2020)