Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CVT Cold start til about 10 Minutes

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Why would someone wait to warm up a manual transmission? I don't floor my car, but I am surely on my way.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...-harms-engine/

This is why I don't understand remote restarters. I can't imagine using one.
    Well, if you’ve ever had to start your car when it’s -20 outside remote starters are a thing of beauty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Well, if you’ve ever had to start your car when it’s -20 outside remote starters are a thing of beauty.
    I live in Wisconsin. It will be under zero in the morning. I have had several below -20F starts. I see no value in remote starts. I will start my car no different on a cold day vs a warm one.

Some people just like being comfortable. I prefer to get into a warm car and not stand outside like a chump scraping windows in -30c them get into a frozen cok stiff car and drive away with the engine hammering away as the windows fog up from the inside.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-20-2020 at 01:19 PM. Reason: don't want to upset scotty

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I unplug my block heater and start the car at 6:40 every morning, crank the heat, set it to recirc, and leave it for 15 minutes at -20. At -10, its 10 minutes. Near freezing, 5 minutes.

Above 5degrees, its 30 seconds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-20-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    I unplug my block heater and start the car at 6:40 every morning, crank the heat, set it to recirc, and leave it for 15 minutes at -20. At -10, its 10 minutes. Near freezing, 5 minutes.

Above 5degrees, its 30 seconds.
    I will use my engine block heater on days under 0F. Today was about -10F. I unplugged the heater, backed the car out the garage (only have it part way in due to other toys that fill my garage), closed my garage door, & was off. The green engine temperature light went out in half the distance of a normal day, and that was due to the engine block heater being used. On a typical day, the light goes out in about 1-1.5 miles. Overall, I would say it takes about an extra .5 mile over my Subaru. The Subaru, however, has twice the engine (2.5 L), & it may have a different temperature setting.

I would never let my Mirage idle for 10 minutes at any temperature. Of all the manuals I have owned, it's the easiest shifting car in the cold that I have ever had. I credit that to the thinner transmission oil maybe?

I never let a car warm up, unless I have windows to scrap off (like my driver's education vehicle parked at school). I don't race the car, but I also don't let it sit there & idle. I have a 3 mile rural road (curves & hills) drive before I hit the state highway (relatively flat) that takes me to town.

I would rather sleep an extra 10-15 minutes, but that's me! I seldom see my mpg/tank be under 40 mpg, & I just drive the car normal. Summer is about 5 mpg better/tank, however.

I'll admit when it's -30 I don't let mine warm up at all in the mornings. Just start it and go. None of this plugging in and dragging snow snakes around after forgetting to unplug it. I highly recommend a heated garage, great place to drink beer, look busy and avoid being nagged at. Oh and it's nice to be able to park a car in it too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    After I posted this thread communities in my vincity are creating anti-idling laws that they plan to enforce. So the CVT may need to get up and go.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    After I posted this thread communities in my vincity are creating anti-idling laws that they plan to enforce. So the CVT may need to get up and go.
    Anti idling laws? Oh wait your in NYC, you cant even get a can of coke out of a machine there now. lol

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-05-2020)

What a bunch of losers! Unless there are tons of straight piped diesels pissing everyone off I don’t see the point.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DottandDolores View Post
    It's like adding remote start to a vehicle that has auto stop-start technology. It makes me scratch my head & wonder why?