Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: My water pump is dead, any advice?

The op probably realized the leak was actually condensation dripping from the heater/ac box and is too embarrassed to admit it. Like the guy with the wifi hotspot dongle gps tracker thingy.

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This forum never ceases to amaze me. Incidentally, the water pump recently went out on my 2007 Camry. It was so bad, that as you poured coolant in the radiator, you could see an equal amount come out from below the water pump.

This isn't rocket science people. I first noticed I had a water pump issue while I was driving. The vehicle started over heating so I pulled over and waited for a tow truck to come get me.

While waiting for the tow truck, I went on Rock Auto and ordered a new belt and water pump. Total cost was about $20. No forum posts required.

This past Friday, I removed the belt and water pump.

Hint: It is really nice to have one of those serpentine belt removal tools from Harbor Freight. I hate serpentine belts and having the right tool makes it so much easier.

I then replaced the water pump and belt. I then filled the Toyota back up with Prestone Green 50/50 Coolant. I already flushed the car and "converted" it to Prestone a year or so ago so there was no fear of mixing coolant.

I then had a nice weekend driving around in the car. Its not rocket science.

Incidentally, I had a weird water pump failure. I'm used to just having a leak from the weep hole. In this case, the whole bearing was wobbly. It a miracle the serpentine belt was able to stay on the pulley as was so loose.

Anyway, thats the end of my story.

Those belt tools make life way easier. I've yet to see any leaks on a Mirage to this day though. I was surprised to hear someone say the water pump leaks. You do you.

Great job diagnosing your water pump problem all by yourself! Not everyone could figure that one out all by themselves. If only there was a place people could post problems and have others try to help...... Sounds ridiculous and kinda stupid to me though.
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-22-2020 at 01:39 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Those belt tools make life way easier. I've yet to see any leaks on a Mirage to this day though. I was surprised to hear someone say the water pump leaks. You do you.
    Exactly.

I wouldn't be surprised if my water pump fails soon, but I have over 300k miles on my car.

I can't remember if I've been running Prestone coolant for 100k miles or 200k miles, but according to people on this forum, my car should have exploded the moment I switched over to Prestone. Oh well.

My reasons for switching to Prestone are very simple. Convenience, convenience, convenience. I currently have four vehicles. I'm not about to go nuts keeping track of four different brands of coolant.

When the water pump on my Toyota failed, I didn't have to go nuts looking for Toyota coolant. I didn't have to worry about special ordering it or it being in stock. I simply replace my water pump, filled the radiator and I was done. No nonsense required.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Oh and before people go nuts saying the Prestone coolant killed the Toyota water pump, the car is 13 years old and has 210,000 miles on it. I'd say it was time for a replacement.

I have no comment on coolant you use. I'm supposed to use mfg recommended stuff at work. My own junk gets whatever fits in the hole.
    I have no idea how many different types there are. 15 years ago I knew of green and orange, now I'd have to take off my shoes to count. The other dumb thing is the Mitsu coolant(blue import) is pre mixed. I haven't been able to find it any other way and it's not as cheap as universal concentrated coolant. The worst coolant problems I've seen were in gm's using dexacool. Swollen hoses, cracked plastic, and sludge. But I don't see a wide variety of makes like I used to. It'd be nice if mfg could just use universal shat from new and save a lot of headaches. And money. Could you imagine if mfg required you use their own fuel lol
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Not everyone could figure that one out all by themselves. If only there was a place people could post problems and have others try to help...... Sounds ridiculous and kinda stupid to me though.
    I believe the original post on this thread was something along the lines of "my water pump is dead, any advice?"

The simplest advice would be to replace it. We are at 60+ posts, several days later and has the water pump even been removed yet?

Maybe we'll find out at post #70 or #100? Together we could make this the longest thread about nothing!
    Mirage videos:

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-23-2020)

I'm aiming for #120.

WHO'S WITH ME??!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Attachment 18372

Mirage videos: