Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My water pump is dead, any advice?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    This poor guy just wanted a simple answer, not an interrogation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (02-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hard to tell from that pic where the leak is coming from...and where the body of the water pump is. Is the red arrow pointing to the water pump? If so...why does it look like the green crusties are above that level?
    Yes, the arrow is pointing to the water pump. My guess would be that the weep hole is near the top of the pump but I don't really know.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    This poor guy just wanted a simple answer, not an interrogation.
    Haha I don't mind, it's been good for me to learn related terminology and what else to look for when troubleshooting an issue like this. At this point I'm sure enough that it's the pump that I'm just going to order a new one and install it, if that doesn't fix the issue I'll see if I can get the shop to rediagnose it for free. Hopefully I'll have the part installed by mid next week or so!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMirage2015 View Post
    ...My guess would be that the weep hole is near the top of the pump but I don't really know.
    Hey I wasn't trying to bust your chops about this. I just wanted to make sure you were heading in the right direction.

The reason I posted the pic is because the weep hole is usually on the bottom of the water pump. But in this video the guy mentions newer water pumps having weep holes on the top?!? I haven't seen one like that, but it would make sense in your first pic if coolant is leaking down from the top of the pump.

Good luck with it and maybe post a pic or two of the replacement pump you decide to use.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-21-2020),poorman1 (02-23-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    Hey I wasn't trying to bust your chops about this. I just wanted to make sure you were heading in the right direction.

The reason I posted the pic is because the weep hole is usually on the bottom of the water pump. But in this video the guy mentions newer water pumps having weep holes on the top?!? I haven't seen one like that, but it would make sense in your first pic if coolant is leaking down from the top of the pump.

Good luck with it and maybe post a pic or two of the replacement pump you decide to use.
    Yeah no worries, you seemed a tad interrogative but it also seemed like there were good intentions behind it. No harm no foul! I'm considering doing a sort of tutorial post but I also just kind of want to get it fixed. We'll see how I'm feeling when the part arrives, though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to RavenMirage2015 For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (02-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For sure! I'm regularly stopping and checking the coolant level. It seems to be a relatively slow leak in normal operation, but I'm keeping an eye on that in case it suddenly changes.
    I hope you're not adding cheap auto store 50/50 mix to your cooling system - it will cause a chemical reaction turning your coolant to a gel.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Attachment 17162I just looked at an engine on the shelf. It's hard to tell from your pics but I wonder if it's possible it's leaking from somewhere else? I too have to wonder why the pump is dry. There are 2 places right behind the alternator that could be the problem too.

Sorry for kicking a dead horse!
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-21-2020 at 06:26 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-22-2020),Top_Fuel (02-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I hope you're not adding cheap auto store 50/50 mix to your cooling system - it will cause a chemical reaction turning your coolant to a gel.
    I have been using that, but isn't that only if you use the wrong type? It's the same chemicals (water and ethylene glycol) so there shouldn't be a reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I just looked at an engine on the shelf. It's hard to tell from your pics but I wonder if it's possible it's leaking from somewhere else? I too have to wonder why the pump is dry. There are 2 places right behind the alternator that could be the problem too.

Sorry for kicking a dead horse!
    Yeah, I'm not really sure. I'll have a look around as I'm replacing the pump, I should be able to see a bit more than I can currently. It's possible there's another leak but I'll start with the "known" problem and go from there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have been using that, but isn't that only if you use the wrong type? It's the same chemicals (water and ethylene glycol) so there shouldn't be a reaction.
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-t-get-screwed!!

see comment #4

"Definitely correct. Use of incorrect coolant type will cause corrosion, radiator leakage and premature water pump failure."

Also, I had to have my heater core replaced and the dealer said it was because someone put in the wrong coolant! Now, I don't know if they would have said that if they knew that they were the only ones who have touched my car at that point. Either way, it was covered under warranty so no need to push it.
    Last edited by 01-7700; 02-21-2020 at 07:56 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

RavenMirage2015 (02-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...lue-antifreeze

the correct coolant

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

RavenMirage2015 (02-21-2020)