Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My water pump is dead, any advice?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...-t-get-screwed!!

see comment #4

"Definitely correct. Use of incorrect coolant type will cause corrosion, radiator leakage and premature water pump failure."

Also, I had to have my heater core replaced and the dealer said it was because someone put in the wrong coolant!
    That's good to know, I just went with the one AutoZone recommended. I'll do a drain and flush when I replace the pump and fill it with the proper stuff. What should I use instead?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMirage2015 View Post
    Yeah, I'm not really sure. I'll have a look around as I'm replacing the pump, I should be able to see a bit more than I can currently. It's possible there's another leak but I'll start with the "known" problem and go from there.
    Please take good pics of the old pump inside and out as you remove it.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's good to know, I just went with the one AutoZone recommended. I'll do a drain and flush when I replace the pump and fill it with the proper stuff. What should I use instead?
    see comment #30
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yeah sorry, it didn't show that before I replied. I don't think I had added any of the incorrect coolant when I first noticed the overheating, but I got this car used and I have no idea what the maintenance was like before that so it's possible it's been running on the wrong coolant for a while. Either way, thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to take at least a few pictures as I go.

Just to stir the pot, I'm pretty sure stevedmc has a billion miles on his car and just runs green prestone. K maybe not a billion but likely the highest on this forum and *quite possibly the highest mileage Mirage...... IN THE WORLD!!! *Spoken in Jeremy Clarkson voice*

Thanks for being a good sport and taking the harassment about a water pump so good lol.

The factory coolant is blue and I've only been able to find it in premixed jugs. I say to each their own as far as that goes. I use the blue stuff in the fleet cars at work. My own has the factory stuff, if it ain't broke...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-22-2020),RavenMirage2015 (02-21-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Just to stir the pot, I'm pretty sure stevedmc has a billion miles on his car and just runs green prestone. K maybe not a billion but likely the highest on this forum and *quite possibly the highest mileage Mirage...... IN THE WORLD!!! *Spoken in Jeremy Clarkson voice*

Thanks for being a good sport and taking the harassment about a water pump so good lol.

The factory coolant is blue and I've only been able to find it in premixed jugs. I say to each their own as far as that goes. I use the blue stuff in the fleet cars at work. My own has the factory stuff, if it ain't broke...
    The one I've got is "Peak" for Asian models. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but at the least I think it's still a good idea to flush the system so I know exactly what brand and everything I'm putting in going forward, and if I'm doing a flush I may as well get the good stuff.

It's definitely been a bit much but everyone's just trying to help, so I'm not gonna get upset about that. I did ask for it, after all

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RavenMirage2015 For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-22-2020),Eggman (02-21-2020)

Consider yourself initiated. Lesser men would have taken their ball and gone home after page 2.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Consider yourself initiated. Lesser men would have taken their ball and gone home after page 2.
    Good thing I'm not a man then haha. And thanks to everyone for the replies, it was way more helpful than I'd hoped and I've learned a ton! I'm excited to stick around Once I get the current issues taken care of (this isn't the only one, it's just the only one that's this critical to fix) I've got some fun mods planned, and I'm pretty excited to share how they go

12. The Following User Says Thank You to RavenMirage2015 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (06-22-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Yup, splittin hair is what we do.

It might be helpful to know that this group of owners grew from wanting to learn more and more about these little cars when they first hit the market as the automotive press was pretty harsh on it. But as more owners shared their experience, the fear mongering fell away.

It's a pretty good car for what it is, so long as expectations are in line with a cheap city car.

When you can, make a forum Garage entry.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,684 Times in 2,103 Posts
    If I was just draining the radiator & engine block, I would use the same blue coolant. Someone quite some time ago discovered Walmart carries the correct Asian blue coolant made by Valvoline. At that price, I see no need to use something different.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Valvoline...llon/801754735

If needed, I bought a jug to top off my radiator reservoir. I have no desire to mix different types, even though some companies claim that is ok.

Not all coolants are the same these days. I would use what is recommended for a Mirage engine.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-23-2020)