Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My water pump is dead, any advice?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    When I first got my Mirage I remember poking around under the hood just to see where all of the major components were. I was pleased to note that the water pump looked like about a 30 minute job! And $550 for an OEM water pump? Hell no...this isn't a Ferrari.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-22-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    BTW, Its the same water pump as on most SMARTFORFOUR.
    Last edited by foama; 02-21-2020 at 12:40 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMirage2015 View Post
    I'll order the parts tomorrow and update when they arrive if I have any questions. You all rock!
    Hello RavenMirage and welcome to the forum.

Before you order any parts, there's some questions I would like to pose here:

1. Have you or your mechanic performed a pressure test and visually spotted the source of the leak?

2. Does anyone here recall a water pump failure?

3. What does your engine oil look like?

Because in my recollection here on the forum, I recall more head gasket failures than water pump failures.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello RavenMirage and welcome to the forum.

Before you order any parts, there's some questions I would like to pose here:

1. Have you or your mechanic performed a pressure test and visually spotted the source of the leak?

2. Does anyone here recall a water pump failure?

3. What does your engine oil look like?

Because in my recollection here on the forum, I recall more head gasket failures than water pump failures.
    1. They said they visually confirmed the leak was from the pump with a camera, I'm not sure if that included a pressure test though. I can call them when they open later today.
    2. I didn't see many results for water pump failures on this forum when I was doing my initial search, but knowing me, I'll always get the weird/uncommon issues. It happens with every device I own, mechanical or electronic, so this is just par for the course for me It's part of why I'm wanting to start learning how to do my own repairs.
    3. It looks about what I'd expect for 5k miles plus significant idle time; it's a golden color with a slight brown tinge. No traces of coolant or other contamination, if that's what you're looking for specifically.

It might be related or it might not, but I had the OBD codes pulled at an AutoZone the other day and the only one found was P0171 - Bank 1 too lean. I'm pretty sure that's triggering when I try and start the engine while it's too hot and it fails; that's the only time I've seen the service engine light come on and if it doesn't fail to start for a while after, the service engine light turns off again.

Are there any other things I can check to confirm it's the pump before I order the new one?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RavenMirage2015 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-21-2020)

This would be the first time I've heard of one going on these things. The only coolant leak I've seen so far has been the rads leaking from the front after taking a rock.

The shop probably said there aren't any available cause that's likely what their supplier said. Not every supplier carries every product line known to man.
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-21-2020 at 02:37 PM. Reason: forgot to read again
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (11-12-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenMirage2015 View Post
    ...I have a 2015 Mirage and I've been having overheating issues when idling as well as a slow coolant leak.
    The water pump wouldn't cause an overheating condition unless the impeller isn't turning or the vanes have corroded and completely disintegrated (both extremely unlikely).

It sounds like your car overheated because it was low on coolant. These things only have a coolant capacity of around 1 gallon...so even a small leak could cause problems.

I'm assuming they are condemning the water pump because that's where the leak is coming from?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I just called the shop, they said they did a pressure test and confirmed with the camera that it was leaking out of the weep hole. Here's a picture of what I can see with my phone camera.
    Name:  IMG_20200221_085217.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  97.7 KB

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RavenMirage2015 For This Useful Post:

Adam - UK (02-22-2020),daleWV (02-21-2020),Fummins (02-21-2020),Top_Fuel (02-21-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Before its fixed, just make very sure you don't drive without enough coolant! That could easily kill the engine.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Before its fixed, just make very sure you don't drive without enough coolant! That could easily kill the engine.
    For sure! I'm regularly stopping and checking the coolant level. It seems to be a relatively slow leak in normal operation, but I'm keeping an eye on that in case it suddenly changes.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Hard to tell from that pic where the leak is coming from...and where the body of the water pump is. Is the red arrow pointing to the water pump? If so...why does it look like the green crusties are above that level?

Name:  pump1.jpg
Views: 766
Size:  85.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-23-2020)