Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2017 Mirage SE turns over but won't start. (115k mi.)

I wouldn't doubt that. I've argued with thick headed brick walls about this in the past, but walk into an auto wrecker and ask them to give you an interchange on any random Mitsubishi and you'll likely get told they can't cause they don't have that info. For some stupid reason Mitsubishi doesn't share their parts info with like almost every other manufacturer that sells cars in North America.

As to why parts are so expensive, I don't know. Because they can charge whatever they want?

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting. Can you please share your sources for your claim that Mitsubishi has a large (massive?) presence worldwide?
    Well it is a part of the Alliance, which really doesn't mean much, right?

"The Renault–Nissan–Mitsubishi Alliance is a French-Japanese strategic partnership between the automobile manufacturers Renault (based in Boulogne-Billancourt, France), Nissan (based in Yokohama, Japan) and Mitsubishi Motors (based in Tokyo, Japan), which together sell more than 1 in 9 vehicles worldwide. Originally known as the Renault–Nissan Alliance, Renault and Nissan became strategic partners in 1999 and have nearly 450,000 employees and control ten major brands: Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi, Infiniti, Renault Samsung, Dacia, Alpine, Datsun, Venucia and Lada. The car group sold 10.6 million vehicles worldwide in 2017, making it the leading light vehicle manufacturing group in the world. The Alliance adopted its current name in September 2017, one year after Nissan acquired a controlling interest in Mitsubishi and subsequently made Mitsubishi an equal partner in the Alliance."

I've never heard of some of the 10 brands included in the Alliance. Renault is most likely using Nissan/Mitsubishi to have a share in the North American market. I've never heard a single person say Renault has made Nissan a better company since the merger, but I don't get out much sometimes!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    When mulling over trying to decide whether or not to buy a Mirage, a low-volume, cheap little city car, I knew going in that parts were going to be expensive. I saved money on the initial purchase, taking a gamble that it wouldn't let me down. In turn, I take care not to abuse it and try to make it last. That's pretty much the entirety of the equation for me, and I find no point in complaining about parts prices now.

If I wanted cheaper parts, I wouldn't have bought this economy car. But I sure saved a lot on the purchase, and as has been said it won't depreciate any more than that.

But that's just my take on the matter.

And by the way, I understand BMW parts are quite reasonably priced. This works for those who can take on car repairs.
    I share Eggman's opinion of the Mirage. I feel it was a bit of a gamble. Even with a good warranty, I still feel that way. I don't care for the nearest dealerships (65 miles from my home). If I felt this car needed dealership service, I would have bought something else. At this point, I have zero regrets. I suppose that could change some day.

I like doing what I can for service, & I feel blessed to know some very nice small town mechanics personally. I don't mind helping them stay in business doing some stuff for me. Working on a Mirage is easy, & that is a plus! If something major goes wrong, I do have the security of it probably being covered by Mitsubishi for quite some time yet. I have a lifetime/unlimited mileage powertrain coverage from the dealership, but they are 4 hours away. I don't count on that at all. It just sounds good! I'm sure it has loopholes.

The lack of quality dealerships in Wisconsin would be my biggest knock on the car, even more than marked up parts. If Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, or KIA had been selling small cars that got 40+ mpg for under $10,000 brand new, I would have gone that direction.

I say this a lot, but I wouldn't pay more than $10,000 for a Mirage. It needs to be a cheap, affordable economy car thats reliable for me to be interested in it. It's a nice beater car (daily driver). I sort of harp on the pricing of this car, but a brand new 2020 Mirage ES CVT shouldn't have a MSRP that's within $1510 of a 130 hp Honda LX CVT. If they sold for MSRP, Mitsubishi may as well close shop.

Having said all that, low mileage 2017+ Mirages can be found in that $8,000-10,000 price range. Even then a person needs to look at what $10,000 would buy you with another brand of small cars. Some might be happier with a slightly older/higher mileage used Civic or Corolla. I wouldn't be critical of that. I like small cars, but my friends/relatives don't appreciate them. That's why I hang with you guys here!

Madison has two excellent Honda dealerships. One has been in business since 1973. Mad City Mitsubishi in Madison was a used car dealership with a bad history. They took on the Mitsubishi brand about 4 years ago now. They are presently closed for 45 days due to an investigation of numerous violations by the Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicle. The comparison of dealerships (Honda/Toyota/Hyundai/KIA vs. Mitsubishi) would be a joke in my area.

In other areas, it's worst because dealerships just don't exist. 3000 GM dealerships selling Sparks verses 350 dealerships selling Mirages in the U.S. matters to many. My elderly parents rely on dealerships for service. I know that is why they are drawn to GM. Driving to a big city for something else is no longer appealing to them.

We are bit off topic here. The Mirage is a great car for me, but I don't expect it to be that for everyone else.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Simply Wikipedia it. 6th largest Japanese producer, 19th larhest producer in the world.
    Not sure what article you are using for this. One I found was using data that's nearly a decade old now. Why so out of date? The Mirage was still on the drawing board haha.

In any case, Mitsubishi Motors is a puny minnow in the big pond. And I'm so glad they sell their stuff here, and I'm so glad I got my Mirage, and I got it new, at a great price, and my dealer has taken good care of me even though I haven't visited them much they're still a great bunch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Not sure what article you are using for this. One I found was using data that's nearly a decade old now. Why so out of date? The Mirage was still on the drawing board haha.

In any case, Mitsubishi Motors is a puny minnow in the big pond. And I'm so glad they sell their stuff here, and I'm so glad I got my Mirage, and I got it new, at a great price, and my dealer has taken good care of me even though I haven't visited them much they're still a great bunch.
    A little more current -

Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi Alliance is not exactly a tiny fish in a big pond (world-wide) in my opinion.

"The car group sold 10.6 million vehicles worldwide in 2017, making it the leading light vehicle manufacturing group in the world. The Alliance adopted its current name in September 2017, one year after Nissan acquired a controlling interest in Mitsubishi and subsequently made Mitsubishi an equal partner in the Alliance."

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    A little more current -

Renault/Nissan/Mitsubishi Alliance is not exactly a tiny fish in a big pond (world-wide) in my opinion.

"The car group sold 10.6 million vehicles worldwide in 2017, making it the leading light vehicle manufacturing group in the world. The Alliance adopted its current name in September 2017, one year after Nissan acquired a controlling interest in Mitsubishi and subsequently made Mitsubishi an equal partner in the Alliance."
    Repetition aside, let's say that we stick with Mitsubishi since I'm not aware of any Alliance collaboration with this version of the Mirage.

Mitsubishi is still a small fish wanting to swim with the big guys. And I think it's great.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Repetition aside, let's say that we stick with Mitsubishi since I'm not aware of any Alliance collaboration with this version of the Mirage.

Mitsubishi is still a small fish wanting to swim with the big guys. And I think it's great.
    Eggman really likes his Mirage, & Dirk doesn't like Mitsubishi's prices on parts.

I don't anything can be said to change that! Next topic!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (04-06-2020)