Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage SE turns over but won't start. (115k mi.)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    That's what it looks like when you reference these part numbers on Mitsubishi websites...

Attachment 17616

This is not surprising. A crank or cam sensor is nothing more than a magnetic pickup. They are also very easy to test. You can check out this video that explains how they work and how to test them.

Here's where these sensors are located in a Mirage...

Attachment 17617
    Wow, thats at least not an outrageous price for a sensor from Mitsubishi.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Wow, thats at least not an outrageous price for a sensor from Mitsubishi.
    Actually that is an expensive price, especially for what it is - a coil of wire.

Wikipedia:
    Crankshaft position sensor
    Inductive sensor

Compare its price to others:
    Automotive Replacement Crankshaft Position Sensors
    Automotive Replacement Camshaft Position Sensors

An inductive sensor is a simple device and not likely to fail. I doubt this is the cause of the problem. Without testing, replacement might be a waste of money. And it's a simple device to test.

Again, I suggest looking at the wiring harness, a known point of failure here on the forum.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-05-2020 at 12:36 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    I had to replace a crankshaft sensor for my old Subaru and I think it was like $80. So I was basing it off that. I dont understand how Mitsu is considered a value brand and yet charges BMW prices for parts. Does KIA do this?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had to replace a crankshaft sensor for my old Subaru and I think it was like $80. So I was basing it off that. I dont understand how Mitsu is considered a value brand and yet charges BMW prices for parts. Does KIA do this?
    When mulling over trying to decide whether or not to buy a Mirage, a low-volume, cheap little city car, I knew going in that parts were going to be expensive. I saved money on the initial purchase, taking a gamble that it wouldn't let me down. In turn, I take care not to abuse it and try to make it last. That's pretty much the entirety of the equation for me, and I find no point in complaining about parts prices now.

If I wanted cheaper parts, I wouldn't have bought this economy car. But I sure saved a lot on the purchase, and as has been said it won't depreciate any more than that.

But that's just my take on the matter.

And by the way, I understand BMW parts are quite reasonably priced. This works for those who can take on car repairs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (04-05-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    After a year on here though, I still havent found a legitimate answer to the expensive parts question. After 150k sold in the US after 6 years theres no reason more aftermarket solutions havent popped up. Im thinking Mitsu has alot to do with this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    After a year on here though, I still havent found a legitimate answer to the expensive parts question. After 150k sold in the US after 6 years theres no reason more aftermarket solutions havent popped up. Im thinking Mitsu has alot to do with this.
    Or Mitsubishi's position in the worldwide automotive market.

Is it not unusual for a small or new car maker to have expensive parts? My sister had a Kia minivan that had a seat switch fail. It was a simple, primitive part that Kia was charging a small fortune for. That has put me off Kias for a long time. Now that Kia sells more cars, maybe their parts are getting cheaper? I don't know.

Should I blame Kia America for their pricing? Their low purchase price got lots of their cars on American roads. It helped Japanese car manufacturers enter and build their position in the American market starting back in the 1960s and 1970s.

Too bad Mitsubishi isn't the company it once was, much less what Honda and Toyota have become. It's an interesting story to be sure. Still, it's good news that you take care of your Mirage and your Mirage is taking care of you.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-05-2020 at 09:41 PM. Reason: corrected spelling

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    And by the way, I understand BMW parts are quite reasonably priced. This works for those who can take on car repairs.
    This is true. Most aftermarket BMW parts are made by the very same companies that BMW subcontracts with for original parts (Mahle, Bosch, Mann, etc).

There is ZERO difference. These companies sell the same parts that you get at the BMW dealership...but without that expensive BMW box!

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Or Mitsubishi's position in the worldwide automotive market.

Is it not unusual for a small or new car maker to have expensive parts? My sister had a Kia minivan that had a seat switch fail. It was a simple, primitive part that Kia was charging a small fortune for. That has put me off Kias for a long time. Now that Kia sells more cars, maybe their parts are getting cheaper? I don't know.

Should I blame Kia America for their pricing? Their low purchase price got lots of their cars on American roads. It helped Japanese car manufacturers enter and build their position in the American market starting back in the 1960s and 1970s.

Too bad Mitsubishi isn't the company it once was, much less what Honda and Toyota have become. It's an interesting story to be sure. Still, it's good news that you take care of your Mirage and your Mirage is taking care of you.
    Mitsubishi is massive in the worldwide market though. That only should mean a huge after market parts selection overseas. Mitsu sells alot of cars in China, India, Indo-China, Australia, South America, etc. complete opposite of their NA market. So BMW parts are cheaper than Mitsu? At this point, nothing surprises me. Im still looking for a definitive reason why Mitsu charges 50% markups. Someone please tell me their parts are of a higher quality than say, a Nissan.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mitsubishi is massive in the worldwide market though. That only should mean a huge after market parts selection overseas. Mitsu sells alot of cars in China, India, Indo-China, Australia, South America, etc. complete opposite of their NA market. So BMW parts are cheaper than Mitsu? At this point, nothing surprises me. Im still looking for a definitive reason why Mitsu charges 50% markups. Someone please tell me their parts are of a higher quality than say, a Nissan.
    Interesting. Can you please share your sources for your claim that Mitsubishi has a large (massive?) presence worldwide? I just looked at the video posted by inuvik in the COVID-19 Discussion thread. In that video was a chart listing the car makes in the Indian market and of all the companies listed Mitsubishi wasn't even on the list.

Here's the video:

Mitsubishi may be in a lot of markets but I wouldn't call their worldwide market massive.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-06-2020 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Embedded video link.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Simply Wikipedia it. 6th largest Japanese producer, 19th larhest producer in the world. That all adds up to millions of vehicles sold world wide. How many Mirages sold worldwide warrants that a big aftermarket selection should be available. I think its patents filed by Mitsu that prevents this.