Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage SE turns over but won't start. (115k mi.)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2017 Mirage SE turns over but won't start. (115k mi.)

Greetings, I have a 2017 Mirage SE with the CVT trans. About a 2 weeks ago I was making a turn onto a city street going about 20mph when my car, without warning just shut off. I put it into park and tried to start it and it started for about 5 seconds and it hasn't started since. When I mean won't start, I mean the dash lights come on, the car turns over like it should with no sounds our of the ordinary, like engine damage or anything, it sounds like it always does when I crank over the engine.
    Now here is what I done to isolate the cause so far.

Ran a code scan and two codes came up. P0069 that said something to do with MAP and a second code P1590 which when I looked it up said something to do with the ABS but U have also been told by two Mechanics that it was related to the PCM not talking to the TCM

What I have checked so far is the main relay and swapped it with another known good relay of the same part # I used the one for the Air Con. But no Start. Of course checked all of the fuses inside and under the hood. I removed one of the spark plugs to see what it looked like, it's was beautiful, and see if there was spark, there was none. Then I tested each coil pack connector to see if there was power, ground and pulse power for the plugs to spark, there was no pulse.
    I also checked the injector connectors and found the two wires both had power, with on wire reading about 12.8 v and the other reading about 2 or 3 volts. But I didn't try turning it over to see if there was injector pulse.
    After doing these test an Online Mechanic said that I needed to see if the wire going from the Crankcase Position Sensor to the PCM was damaged and if it wasn't to check to see if there was continuity in the wire and was told if the wire was fine since there wasn't any code for the CKP sensor thrown, then it probably was good and the PCM was bad.
    Thinking the PCM couldn't be going out after only 115,000 was able to speak with a Mitsubishi dealer Mechanic about it . ( I live 238 miles away from the nearest dealer and no cellphone service where I live for 2 miles ) So it's has been a challenge to get any help.
    The two Mitsubishi Mechanics I spoke to, both said it was highly unlikely that the PCM is bad
    One of them said it was related to my key fob battery, which both Fobs having low batteries and the key warning light that has been lit up on the dash for about a month. But as soon as I replaced both batteries the light on the dash went out and both Fobs do lock and unlock the doors and I did the procedure where you put the Fob into that slot floor console, that's suppose to re- establish communication with the PCM. But I'm not sure if I did this correctly.
    The Other Mitsubishi Mechanic seem to think it was Rats eating the wires , which after taking a simple look over have not seen and evidence of wire damage.
    So that is where I at with still no solution as to the cause and that's why I asking anyone on this forum if they know why it won't start?
    Oh one thing I forgot to mention, when the ignition is pushed to the on position before you put your foot on the brake and crank it I'm hearing this high pitched buzzing sound coming from the front of the engine area, that I never remember hearing before.

I really need this solved as I have my own crappy little business that U haven't been able to do without my car and less than $200 right now. I need someone to tell me it's something silly that needs resetting or a less than $200 part

Lastly if it turns out to be a PCM or ECM and Mitsubishi Mechanics says it's highly unlikely to have failed with only 115,000 on it. Even though it's 15 k out of warranty wouldn't Mitsubishi likely replace it as a courtesy and so that they don't look bad having a major component go bad just after the warranty is expired.
    Also read that the Fed Gov. Would possibly back me up on something like this going bad in less than 3 years.

Thanks for your help. J.O.

Last edited by MetroMPG; 02-21-2020 at 12:34 PM. Reason: (added info to title)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Honestly, the first thing I would try is disconnecting the battery for about an hour to see if you can do some kind of 'hard' reset on the PCM.

There was also a thread here about damage to the wiring harness because of a zip tie that was too tight. It is the zip tie right on the front of the engine near the alternator. The wiring was damaged under the insulation, and it could not be seen without removing the tie and peeling back the wrapping on the harness.

It has to be something stupid...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Netwerkjim View Post
    Oh one thing I forgot to mention, when the ignition is pushed to the on position before you put your foot on the brake and crank it I'm hearing this high pitched buzzing sound coming from the front of the engine area, that I never remember hearing before.
    Hello Netwerkjim and welcome to the forum.

Forgive my short response as I have to be on my way.

You have spark so you got that going for you.

Fuel pumps are not that expensive, and I recall a case or two (not many) of problematic pumps. That and faulty fuel level sensors.

Cheap gas can cause many problems. Either stick to Top Tier fuels or run Techron fuel system cleaner on a regular basis.

Access to the fuel pump is easy. Lift the rear seat cushion and remove a few screws. Check your screen and get back to us. This will also let you see exactly how much gasoline is in your tank. Sure hope it's not empty - wouldn't that be funny?

Oh and be careful working around gasoline and don't blow anything up.

That's my 2¢. A shot in the dark from miles away over the internet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Bummer of a reason to have to join the forum, Netwerkjim. But welcome.

I don't have any suggestions, but I do have a special request: regardless of whether you solve the problem from info shared here or found elsewhere, please let us know what the solution was.

We've had a few people join asking for (and getting) good advice from members.... and then we never found out how it was resolved!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

I had a Mirage that would stall at random, it would usually re start until it didn't. I Unplugged and re connected a bunch of connectors around the fuse box under the lh side of the dash and it's been good since. At least I think that's what I did to that car. Wiring is stupid finicky on these things. Otherwise the 17's had a tsb for some of the relays under the hood causing the car not to start, might be worth a shot switching a few around.

I'd say take a look at the connectors behind the drivers kick panel and see if they're corroded at all but if you don't get lots of snow or water splashing around in your car that might not be the case. But anything's possible.

READ THIS PART FIRST******* Do you have anything plugged into the obdII port while the car died or when trying to start it? We used plug in gps trackers that caused all kinds of problems, 1 being the 1590 communication error code along with a bunch of others causing driveability problems. Some other guy signed up swearing about how his car was a pos and everyone was stupid cause his car kept stalling. He had some verizon wifi hotspot thing that plugged into the obdII port. I assume that was the problem with his car. After having a good laugh we never heard back from the guy lol.

Edit: There was another guy from California that had some stalling or no start problems I thought. Can't remember what the deal was with that one?
    Last edited by Fummins; 02-21-2020 at 02:21 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    READ THIS PART FIRST******* Do you have anything plugged into the obdII port while the car died or when trying to start it?
    That should probably be the #1 item on any Mirage troubleshooting chart!

PCM failures are extremely rare...so don't go down that rabbit hole just yet.

How about doing a couple of really simple tests first. The engine cranks but won't fire, right? So it either doesn't have spark or fuel. Shoot some starting fluid into the throttle body and then try to start it. If it sputters on a blast of starting fluid, then the engine isn't getting fuel. If it doesn't fire on starting fluid, grab a spark tester and see if your ignition system is working.
    Last edited by Top_Fuel; 02-21-2020 at 02:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I misread his post - there is no spark. That's what I get for reading in a hurry.

Never mind...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I missed that part too lol

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,532 Times in 1,467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    there is no spark. That's what I get for reading in a hurry.
    Missed that, too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This guy is a mole planted to test us...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-21-2020)