Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Renew Rear Wiper Blade.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,683 Times in 2,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    We sell the rubber insert for $14.95, OE rubber, and we do the install for you. I don't remove anything, I flex the retainer bars beyond the lip, remove, swap, and reinstall the same way. Takes me about 15 seconds.

**if your car is in the shop, we do $25 with install. If a tech does it, gotta charge.
    Replacement rear wiper is about $10. If you bought all three wipers at once, free shipping would apply @ Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Trico-Exact-R.../dp/B001KS2PXQ

It takes longer to get the wiper blade out of the box than it takes to change it out. This is an example of dealership being really stupid in my opinion. They should do little items like this (installation) for free, because it's like free advertisement.

I can't tell you how many non-car people (sometime women, but not always) that I have sent to places like AutoZone, because they will test your battery, check engine codes, replace batteries/wipers, etc. for free. My elderly parents love places like these, too.

In my case, going to a dealership is a 130 mile round trip. Even if they gave out free wiper blades, I would probably find myself switching one out in my driveway or Walmart parking lot instead.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Replacement rear wiper is about $10. If you bought all three wipers at once, free shipping would apply @ Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Trico-Exact-R.../dp/B001KS2PXQ

It takes longer to get the wiper blade out of the box than it takes to change it out. This is an example of dealership being really stupid in my opinion. They should do little items like this (installation) for free, because it's like free advertisement.

I can't tell you how many non-car people (sometime women, but not always) that I have sent to places like AutoZone, because they will test your battery, check engine codes, replace batteries/wipers, etc. for free. My elderly parents love places like these, too.

In my case, going to a dealership is a 130 mile round trip. Even if they gave out free wiper blades, I would probably find myself switching one out in my driveway or Walmart parking lot instead.
    Well, my techs and I aren't working for free. We've already given you a full free piece of mind inspection, free battery test, advised you on all upcoming services, and you need a rear wiper blade to be road legal. That's not OUR fault. Prices are low enough as is on the menu priced items, better believe I'm charging you for wipers. I'm not working for negative pay, and my techs arent working for free.

People come to the dealer so that they can pay more for full, complete, and proper service by vehicle specific trained professionals. It's been proven by thousands of studies.

If you want a free wiper blade, you can do it yourself. If you dont want to pay $70 for an air filter, go to the parts counter and buy it yourself for $40. But, then you arent really a dealer customer, and you'll never be back anyway.
    Last edited by nickels; 02-22-2020 at 04:40 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    And I mean, I'm not stranger to giving people discounts where possible, but you came to me for a wiper blade, I'm not forcing anybodies hand.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Nobody here will come to you for a wiper blade with that attitude.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-22-2020),itschad (02-24-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    And I mean, I'm not stranger to giving people discounts where possible, but you came to me for a wiper blade, I'm not forcing anybodies hand.
    Apparently, I struck a nerve! I apologize for that. There's nothing wrong with a dealership charging $25 to replace a rear wiper blade. Likewise, there is nothing wrong with someone stating one can be bought for $10, & you can do it yourself in under a minute.

Little gestures cost very little & have a huge impact on customers. I see this all the time!

One of our local mechanics is wonderful. I had a brake light come on (my former 2000 Honda CRV) years ago. He topped of my brake fluid in his parking lot, problem solved, no charge. I was working on my daughters car one time, & I didn't have the right tool to get the job done. I drove over to his shop. He loaned me the right tool, & I fixed my daughter's car in his parking lot. These are just a few examples.

Our driving school has some major changes & we lost the mechanics that service our cars. Guess where I directed the owner of our driving school. My local mechanic now has access to all our vehicles. I just call him up, & he services the vehicles, charges it to my driving school credit card, & leaves the paid slip in the car back at school. I eventually mail to the slips to our main office located in another town. He picks up the cars at school & returns them when done. I do nothing. It's a win/win for both of us.

I'm sure some dealerships are better than others, & I was not trying to say your dealership was a bad one. I do think simple gestures are noticed, & it has a huge impact on customer satisfaction.

One last example - several forum members have expressed free TPMS service being done @ Discount Tires. If Discount Tires has the tires you want, some members may want to go there. I've taken note of that, even though I don't live near a Discount Tire store.

Dealerships do have a lot of overhead costs. Charging for shop rags when services is done is probably justified. If someone is ok with that, I have no problem with that. I also don't mind considering/expressing other options.

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    People come to the dealer so that they can pay more for full, complete, and proper service by vehicle specific trained professionals. It's been proven by thousands of studies.

Proven by thousands of studies? Horses%it. It's criminal the prices Mitsubishi charges for parts, denying warranty repairs left and right, fleecing already financially vulnerable consumers, etc. Your prices are on par with Jaguar and Land rover and you don't do anything special that Joe Blow the mechanic could not do. I understand a 20% markup to keep the overhead in check but the 50% to 60% markups yall charge is an unethical business practice. Toyota doesnt mark up like that and neither should Mitsubishi. Shady strategy, with shady employees. I hope you seethe whenever you read Fummin' s post about the staggering
    level of incompetence he's had to deal with from Mitsu techs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

itschad (02-24-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Mark is too nice Nickels, I am saying your store is a bad one, and not a single you know what is given.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I met my parents at a Mill's Fleet Farm (popular place in Wisconsin) today. We had lunch together & did some shopping. I checked their inventory of wiper blades. To my surprise they had the Trico 12-A along with the 12-B & other sizes that I don't typically see at a Walmart. The Trico 12-A is an exact fit for the Mirage, & I paid $10.99 for it. I figured that I would need it some day.

Later in the afternoon, I stopped to get gas. As I was cleaning my rear windshield, I noticed my rear wiper blade was about 1/3 torn. I was wrong about the box. It was very easy to open and remove the wiper blade. Took way less time than I would have estimated. It took 15 seconds to pull the old wiper off and snap on the new one. The Trico 12-A appears to be identical to the factory one. It's a perfect fit. The rear wiper actually has a better finished look to it compared to how the front wipers attach.

I drove a little over 4 hours today. I calculated 44.7 mpg on the one fill up, but some of that mileage included going to school & back this past week. Some of those mornings were more brutal (-10F or colder). Today felt like a heat wave.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post

Proven by thousands of studies? Horses%it. It's criminal the prices Mitsubishi charges for parts, denying warranty repairs left and right, fleecing already financially vulnerable consumers, etc. Your prices are on par with Jaguar and Land rover and you don't do anything special that Joe Blow the mechanic could not do. I understand a 20% markup to keep the overhead in check but the 50% to 60% markups yall charge is an unethical business practice. Toyota doesnt mark up like that and neither should Mitsubishi. Shady strategy, with shady employees. I hope you seethe whenever you read Fummin' s post about the staggering
    level of incompetence he's had to deal with from Mitsu techs.
    I consider that a true statement, but not necessarily unique to Mitsubishi. Over the years my observations have been that "economy" cars, e.g. Kia, Hyundai etc charge exorbitant prices for spares. My daughter-in-law had a Kia Picanto that had a well known issue with inferior keys, hers broke in the ignition, Kia quoted telephone numbers for a repair, eventually she found a place in Leeds a quarter of the price than at Kia. I've had small cheap cars that wanted a certain item that I couldn't believe the price.
    Sure dealerships have overheads, here the business rates can be crippling, but to charge a hefty mark up just for the bloody privilege of owning on of their offerings is unacceptable.
    Here's another example. I bought a rear wiper, Bosch H309 for £5.23 with free delivery I might add, a well known car parts retailer over here, Halfords, want £10 for the same thing and they'll fit it for £3.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (02-24-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Apparently, I struck a nerve! I apologize for that. There's nothing wrong with a dealership charging $25 to replace a rear wiper blade. Likewise, there is nothing wrong with someone stating one can be bought for $10, & you can do it yourself in under a minute.

Little gestures cost very little & have a huge impact on customers. I see this all the time!

One of our local mechanics is wonderful. I had a brake light come on (my former 2000 Honda CRV) years ago. He topped of my brake fluid in his parking lot, problem solved, no charge. I was working on my daughters car one time, & I didn't have the right tool to get the job done. I drove over to his shop. He loaned me the right tool, & I fixed my daughter's car in his parking lot. These are just a few examples.

Our driving school has some major changes & we lost the mechanics that service our cars. Guess where I directed the owner of our driving school. My local mechanic now has access to all our vehicles. I just call him up, & he services the vehicles, charges it to my driving school credit card, & leaves the paid slip in the car back at school. I eventually mail to the slips to our main office located in another town. He picks up the cars at school & returns them when done. I do nothing. It's a win/win for both of us.

I'm sure some dealerships are better than others, & I was not trying to say your dealership was a bad one. I do think simple gestures are noticed, & it has a huge impact on customer satisfaction.

One last example - several forum members have expressed free TPMS service being done @ Discount Tires. If Discount Tires has the tires you want, some members may want to go there. I've taken note of that, even though I don't live near a Discount Tire store.

Dealerships do have a lot of overhead costs. Charging for shop rags when services is done is probably justified. If someone is ok with that, I have no problem with that. I also don't mind considering/expressing other options.
    And if somebody is in for an actual service, I have no problem dropping the time on a wiper blade. We sell them for... $17.50 or so, install is supposed to pay .1 at $13.00, we do em for under $25. If somebody is here getting a few fluids flushed or is in for a major repair, I've got no issues dropping that .1. I feel like I have a few other comments to reply to... probably expand on this in the next one.