Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RCR Mirage review (Regular Car Reviews G4 5 speed)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I didn't care for it. It came across to me as another whiner who is trying to get something going reviewing cars, whining about an economy car (easy picking, low hanging fruit.)
    If you've watched a lot of other "Regular Car Reviews", you pick up on his style. He's been at this a lot longer than you might think. He grabs hold of the stereotype that surrounds a particular car, and... he has fun with it... relentlessly. But, he DOES get past it. In this case, he addressed both sides in pretty good detail. He hit on the pros of the Mirage and why people buy them quite thoroughly and accurately. He hit on the fuel economy conundrum that most of us are WELL aware of, namely that you ONLY get that excellent fuel economy if you keep speeds below 60ish. Beyond that, you might as well be driving a _____ (just about anything that gets better than 30 mpg hwy).

Yeah, he picked on some things in what might be seen as a whiny way... but, that's just the way he presents things. He's a little harsh sometimes, and even a bit crude sometimes... but, it's hard to say that he's WRONG most of the time.

He's taken the time to review a LOT of obscure cars, as well as some well-loved favorites. None of them are immune to some good-natured ribbing, and they all get a relatively honest and fair shake.

Here'e the classic "track day, bro!" Miata review:

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

2of9 (02-25-2020),MetroMPG (02-26-2020),Top_Fuel (02-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    I really like Mr. Regular's reviews. For those who think he is being harsh on the Mirage, he has actually been much harsher on cars that many car enthusiasts find desirable.

I think his appraisal of the Mirage is pretty accurate....it's just a car. And that is the same point I have always made about it. The Mirage is a 21st century Chevy Chevette. It is a Toyota Tercel. It is a Geo Metro. And that is all it is meant to be.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,781 Times in 2,100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    If you've watched a lot of other "Regular Car Reviews", you pick up on his style.
    Good point. But I don't spend a lot of time watching car reviews on Youtube. And when I do, I hope to get an honest appraisal of a model. I still don't see this review as an honest appraisal as I find it lacks detailed information about the Mirage but instead focuses on the presenter's opinion. And of course he's entitled to his opinion - I'm not knocking that - I just think it's not worth the time spent watching it if say someone was using the video to discern whether or not to buy one.

Again, I get tired of all the Mirage-bashing videos out there. I don't think I'm alone in that regard.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    The comments are ridiculous in this one. I won't get into the "my moped is faster than this, I'd rather walk" or "the 90's called and wants their car back" comments. I can understand these. Not everyone wants an econobox and I can respect that opinion.

What really shows the intelligence of these people is when they make comments about the lack of reliability. There isn't enough on or in this car to warrant such a claim. No one brings up any examples concerning what component "fails". I know Mitsubishi isn't the most reliable brand on the planet, but to dismiss every single model of vehicle under a manufacturer as unreliable, is just plain stupidity.
    Maybe it's just that I was born in the 90s, but I feel that decade hit a lot of sweet spots for cars.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 33.6 mpg (US) ... 14.3 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.4 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I absolutely agree and I like his reviews alot better than some of the other guys. He seems to have alot of fun with it and gives all sides.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I have two Mirages in the shop right now waiting on long blocks through warranty to be fully replaced.

Quote Originally Posted by precisionxt View Post
    The comments are ridiculous in this one. I won't get into the "my moped is faster than this, I'd rather walk" or "the 90's called and wants their car back" comments. I can understand these. Not everyone wants an econobox and I can respect that opinion.

What really shows the intelligence of these people is when they make comments about the lack of reliability. There isn't enough on or in this car to warrant such a claim. No one brings up any examples concerning what component "fails". I know Mitsubishi isn't the most reliable brand on the planet, but to dismiss every single model of vehicle under a manufacturer as unreliable, is just plain stupidity.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Do you have any more info on them? I haven't had to replace one yet.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff151 View Post
    Ill leave a link, what do you guys think of this review?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peZ8AQsZabI
    Unique review, fairly honest. That said, I found the reviewer to be a bit pretentious. All the "clever" asides.. aren't really all that clever. No need to be showy.

That said, it piqued my interest, so I will check out other reviews. Thanks for the share!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I didn't care for it. It came across to me as another whiner who is trying to get something going reviewing cars, whining about an economy car (easy picking, low hanging fruit.)

I guess the temptation to bash the Mirage just like all the other whiny Mirage bashers was too great to resist. Sad part is, it works. The more it gets viewed, the more they get paid for their work - even if we Mirage owners are the ones watching it.

So, just how many more Mirage-bashing Youtube videos do we need posted here? Sorry, I get tired of it.
    I watched a minute and a half, stopped it, gave it a thumbs down, and then wrote a lengthy comment as an ACTUAL OWNER. I get sick of the bashing of this car too, it is 100% undeserved. Don't like it? Fine, move on.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage G4 ES 1.2 automatic: 32.5 mpg (US) ... 13.8 km/L ... 7.2 L/100 km ... 39.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Go4th View Post
    I watched a minute and a half, stopped it, gave it a thumbs down, and then wrote a lengthy comment as an ACTUAL OWNER. I get sick of the bashing of this car too, it is 100% undeserved. Don't like it? Fine, move on.
    Loren touched on this as well, his style is to go against the gain. I have been watching the channel for years. While he does pick on it a bit this in my own opinion as an owner feels correct. To bad the dodge avenger video is no longer on youtube.. that was a bad review