Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Never braked from San Jose to palo alto with 55~65mph and end up with only 42MPG?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Anything makes the MPG tank in this car. You have to cross your fingers, take your foot off the gas/brakes, and then stars need to align to get 50+ results in the CVT from my experience. Even with the cruise.

Obviously tire pressure needs to be good, alignment good, and air filter. Then keep it 65 or less. Make sure you fill up at a 'good' gas station(I see a big difference at some). Likely the federals are knocking a few MPG off. Honestly I average somewhere around the same as you.

Intense city driving makes the MPG gauge nose dive. I am pretty sure it's still getting in the 30s but the gauge does not reflect it. I wouldn't be too upset with 42MPG. If I remember correct the optimal speed to MPG for this car was somewhere around 40MPH so maybe even slower could help.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mirageman38 For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-26-2020),poorman1 (02-25-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yes, you will see that many of us have fuel logs with occasional 50, 55, even 60mpg fuel ups, but the thing behind that is that MOST of those users are driving country bumpkin roads doing 45mph or so.

If I drive my 5MT with traffic, it will return me roughly 40mpg.
    If I drive my 5MT at 60mph, I can see high 40's.
    If I stick to roughly 50mph, I can squeek 60mpg out of a one way trip to work (100m drop over 40km)
    If I stick to 45mph (and get passed and honked at like crazy), I can return a 60mpg round trip tank.

It's NOT easy. Many of us have been fine tuning our driving styles for YEARS to be able to hit the numbers that we are hitting. These cars will not pass 45mpg if driven at flow of traffic on normal highways. They just won't.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nickels For This Useful Post:

Loren (02-25-2020),MetroMPG (02-25-2020),poorman1 (03-01-2020),Top_Fuel (02-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My first highway driving in my Mirage was into a headwind aiming for 60 mph which got me 42 mpg. After getting used to it and in favorable wind I made a similar trip getting 55 mpg. You have to attune your driving to the car if you want the best mileage. By coasting between lights to avoid needing to brake for reds I had a city mpg for a single trip over 80 mpg, and in the 70s reliably on days I had good luck with lights.

Driving style is the biggest impact you can make, and as others have said it takes time to get just right.

Not to mention, somehow Mirages get mileage at least on par with Metros despite being EPA rated several mpg worse (33, 41) vs (37, 44)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MacClyver For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-25-2020)

Quote Originally Posted by Fozziekyu View Post
    my Mirage got only "A", and it reset by itself
    All Mirages have 2 MPG gauges, A and B.

"A" resets automatically after 4 hours of inactivity.

"B" is driver-resettable. Good for tracking your tank MPG.

SEE:

Your Mirage has TWO fuel economy MPG gauges, (A & B) in the multi information display

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    If cruise control is going to do a better job of keeping your speed in the range that you want to be in, then it could help. But, if your goal is to drive 65 mph... whether you do it with your foot or the CC probably won't matter much.

I agree, your MPG is pretty normal for the way you're driving the car. If making time makes you money, then just accept it and move on.

For city driving, you MIGHT be able to improve your MPG without costing yourself any time. You've been on the road enough to know that no matter how fast you drive between the lights... you're still gonna get stopped at the lights. So, if you pace your acceleration, and think ahead enough, you can often COAST a lot more driving around town. Unless you're in traffic that keeps you STOPPED, you can possibly get your city mpg up considerably by playing those games.

If you've not looked into it already, there are "hypermiling techniques" that can help you get at least 10-20% better fuel economy. They'll be of more help in the city environment than they will at a constant speed on the highway where you're trying to make time at an average of 60+ mph.

I can see 52-55 mpg in my car pretty easily driving around town if the traffic is right and I'm not in a hurry. And I've seen over 60 mpg on about an hour long back road trip where I never went over 50 mph and was able to coast a lot. But, TYPICAL driving around in traffic nets me closer to 38-42 mpg. And TYPICAL cruising down the highway at 50-55 mph will net me 48 mpg. I'd say I roughly lose 1 mpg for every mph faster that I go beyond 50 mph.

50 mpg at 50 mph is probably a pretty easily achievable goal for most people in the Mirage on a typical highway. A little more if you go slower (especially if you can incorporate some coasting), and less as you go faster. I find that it gets depressingly bad as you get over 70 mph! Still better than most cars... but, uninspiring.

but how is it possibile to get higher MPG in city? per MITSUBISHI its 35 city/42 highway

I understand the ieda is that in city we have much less wind resistance, but with red lights, stop signs, random uber suddenly stop in front of you to drop off a PAX, and brake for right trun / left turn / speed bump then reacceleration... I always get 32~35mpg for city in the end

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Try gentle acceleration and air up your tires. I like to run mine at 50 psi, you could start with 40 psi.

I also recommend Techron fuel system cleaner. Stick to Top Tier fuels and avoid using cheap gas - it's not worth the savings if it causes problems.
    Last edited by Eggman; 02-25-2020 at 09:11 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

I haven't seen 40mpg in mine. I'm running slightly taller winter tires, burning crappy winter fuel, driving in snow, cold etc. I swear my fuel gauge drops faster when I carry some tools around. The best I've gotten was 38mpg twice. On the freeway I drive everyday the limit is 50mph/80km, I usually do 55mph/90-95km and just keep up with traffic because racecar. Rpm will usually drop to around 2000 or less at those speeds. I don't bag the crap out of mine but don't drive slow enough to piss off everyone around me either, I'm happy enough with the mileage I'm getting but would be nice to get a bit better. Will see how that goes once winter f's off.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I drive Uber too. How the hell you having to fill up twice in a day? You doing the full 12 hours? I do an 8 hour shift, anywhere from 150 to 200 miles a shift and still got half a tank of gas. What's gas prices out in Commiefornia? $4.50 a gallon? You dropping $80 a day in fuel? I hope your pay per mile is good. It's crap out here in Atlanta, but I pay $2.14 a gallon for gas.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozziekyu View Post
    but how is it possibile to get higher MPG in city? per MITSUBISHI its 35 city/42 highway

I understand the ieda is that in city we have much less wind resistance, but with red lights, stop signs, random uber suddenly stop in front of you to drop off a PAX, and brake for right trun / left turn / speed bump then reacceleration... I always get 32~35mpg for city in the end
    In general: Accelerate gently, minimize time spent stopped at idle, maximize time spent coasting.

When you see the random Uber in front of you, you EXPECT him to stop suddenly, so you increase your following distance so that you can more likely get through it with just a throttle lift and no braking.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...y-driving-tips

Remember that when you're coasting in gear, you're using ZERO fuel. It's free miles. Add a quarter mile or even just an eighth mile or a block of coasting here and there, it all adds up. So, if you can look and think further ahead and anticipate your stops, you can easily extend your coasts and get better city mileage. It's not always easy... and it's not always possible. City traffic is what it is.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I haven't seen 40mpg in mine. I'm running slightly taller winter tires, burning crappy winter fuel, driving in snow, cold etc. I swear my fuel gauge drops faster when I carry some tools around. The best I've gotten was 38mpg twice. On the freeway I drive everyday the limit is 50mph/80km, I usually do 55mph/90-95km and just keep up with traffic because racecar. Rpm will usually drop to around 2000 or less at those speeds. I don't bag the crap out of mine but don't drive slow enough to piss off everyone around me either, I'm happy enough with the mileage I'm getting but would be nice to get a bit better. Will see how that goes once winter f's off.
    Are you only using the mpg gauge on your dash?

I never look at the mpg indicator on my Mirage, but I gave it a look tonight on my drive home. The numbers I saw don't reflect anything I have ever seen. I surely wouldn't judge my Mirage's performance by the numbers I saw tonight on the dash.

If traveled 333.4 miles, & I pump 7.213 gallons of gas, my mpg would be 46.22 (333.4/7.213). I don't know what others do, but I punch my mileage on my smartphone calculator & then reset mileage for the next tank. When the gas pump kicks out, I divide that number into my mileage. I pretty much do this with every tank. If I am overstating the obvious, I apologize.

I just know looking at the gauge on my dash tonight was not an accurate reflection of anything in my opinion. I typically get somewhere between 40-45 mpg in the dead of winter. Summertime is more like 45-50 mpg. If I did averages, I would estimate about 42-43 winter mpg and around 47 summer mpg. I own a 2017 Mirage ES manual, & I just drive normal in my opinion.

If I judged my Mirage by what I saw on the dash tonight, I would be very disappointed in its performance.

Last edited by Mark; 02-26-2020 at 02:04 AM.