Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Never braked from San Jose to palo alto with 55~65mph and end up with only 42MPG?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Are you only using the mpg gauge on your dash?

I never look at the mpg indicator on my Mirage, but I gave it a look tonight on my drive home. The numbers I saw don't reflect anything I have ever seen. I surely wouldn't judge my Mirage's performance by the numbers I saw tonight on the dash.
    Nope I have never seen 40mpg hand calculated. I've gotten close. I'm gonna try wearing some granny panties for the rest of this tank and see if that helps at all. I figured the weight saving from no longer having male genitalia(because cvt) would be enough to get me over 40 easily but nope.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Pryme (02-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Try airing up your tires instead.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Instead of what, Being bruce jenner? They're already at 44 or so. You can run 50 though I won't judge. This is the only vehicle I've owned that I actually checked the tire pressure more than once a year.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Nope I have never seen 40mpg hand calculated. I've gotten close. I'm gonna try wearing some granny panties for the rest of this tank and see if that helps at all. I figured the weight saving from no longer having male genitalia(because cvt) would be enough to get me over 40 easily but nope.
    That's one thing the Mitsubishi engineers didn't factor in for weight reduction....the enormous genitalia of your avg Mirage owner. Females probably get an extra 5mpg because of this.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    This is the only vehicle I've owned that I actually checked the tire pressure more than once a year.
    I know for a fact you are smarter than that... what is it pure laziness or idgaf disease?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-20-2020)

A combination of the two. I should rephrase that. It's the first vehicle I've checked the tire pressure more than once a year just for the sake of checking. I do check my truck and trailer usually before each trip. Otherwise I rarely bother to check pressure on my junk unless something feels off, looks low or is it's hissing at me.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozziekyu View Post
    I got a CVT... when I go from San Jose to Palo alto it seems to be totally flat for me, no hills

AC is on but cooler(snow icon) is off,so I assume compresser is off... and it was just me in a empty car

what's strange was when my car before 38000mi, I normally check MPG and its always about 41, so I haven't check it for a long time until I changed my tire(happened at 43000mi), it seems I lost a lot of MPG, maybe engine is worn out and getting older as well? I did not treat my mirage too good, cheap oil change from Walmat, cheap gas from circle K and 711...

doing Uber with a small gas tank making me fill my gas twice a day
    No one else touched on this but you're using the AC, it will cut down your mileage. The compressor cycles on and off to meet the demand of the temp you have it set to vs outside conditions. Nothing on your dash will tell you if the compressor is on or off. If your ac is on, you're going to reduce mileage.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-28-2020)

I didn't even think of the snowflake power reducer button.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I average high 30s on the way to work and low 50s on the way home, all level ground same traffic

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by poorman1 View Post
    I average high 30s on the way to work and low 50s on the way home, all level ground same traffic
    I don't take much stock in what my Mirage is doing at any given moment. I expect a small, lightweight economy car to get 40+ mpg/tank year round. Part of my driving is flat roads, but I am also climbing some hill roads where I find myself in 3rd gear by time I reach the top.

I filled up yesterday. I had a few miles on my last bar blinking (gas gauge). Trip odometer was 299.9 miles, & I added 7.033 gallons of gas. 299.9/7.033 = 42.64 mpg. I would say this is very typical for my 2017 ES manual during the winter months. Some mornings were still quite cold this past week. I don't let my car idle. I start up & go.

I reset my trip odometer with every fill, & I typically stop filling when the gas hose kicks off a second time. It may not be super precise, but my overall average can't be that far off. 42-43 mpg Wisconsin winter months & 46-48 during the summer months seems quite common for my Mirage.

Overall, I feel like I drive pretty normal & don't do anything special to increase mpg. I typically keep my tires around 40 psi. Presently, I have a pair of Nokian Nordman 7 tires up front, and a pair of Federal SS657 on the rear. As far as people complaining about the Mirage being slow, I find myself passing more people than people passing me.

I am very happy with the powertrain of the 5-speed manual Mirage.