Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never braked from San Jose to palo alto with 55~65mph and end up with only 42MPG?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Never braked from San Jose to palo alto with 55~65mph and end up with only 42MPG?

Hi everyone, I finally decided to register an account and ask questions

I am a uber driver in Bay Area with my 2015 mitsubishi mirage current at 48000mi

I noticed it seems my MPG are lower then everyone else in here, when I doing uber with combined city/freeway ,I got only 32~35MPG

and I tried San Jose to palo alto with 55~65mph with lightfoot and no never braked ,but it endup with only 42mpg, I also noticed if I go 70~75mpg, it will drop MPG to as low as 35, very sensitive
    to wind resistance

it seems so low to me, I saw post in here people could reach ~50mpg in this situation

I am trying to find out whats the cause of this , I feel I lose some MPG after replaced my tire from original to federal 165/65r14, could that be reason?

Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozziekyu View Post
    ...I feel I lose some MPG after replaced my tire from original to federal 165/65r14, could that be reason?
    The different tires could be part of the explanation.

Nothing has less rolling resistance than a worn out Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tire. So at the point your original tires needed to be replaced, they were actually producing the least amount of rolling resistance...and the highest fuel mileage.

Even if you replaced them with the original style of tire, you would see a slight drop in mileage because the new tires have more tread (and more rolling resistance). You installed new tires...but you also changed to tires that were not low rolling resistance.

So from a tire standpoint, you went from the least rolling resistance (a worn out LRR tire) to the most resistance (a new non-LRR tire). In real terms...that one change might have cost you as much as 3-4 mpg.

...I tried San Jose to palo alto with 55~65mph with lightfoot and never braked ,but it endup with only 42mpg, I also noticed if I go 70~75mpg, it will drop MPG to as low as 35, very sensitive
    There are lots of variables involved. And you are right...this car is sensitive to certain changes in driving conditions. I'll toss out a few ideas...

Is that a drive with a lot of hills? If so, that could account for some of it. This car doesn't like to climb hills. If you were climbing hills with the cruise control on, that would be even worse.

Were you running the air conditioning? That really kills your mileage.

70-75mph? Forget about it...that's a mileage killer, too. The good mileage starts to fade above 60mph.

Do you have a CVT or a 5-speed? The 5-speed is going to be slightly better for fuel mileage.

Have the temperatures been cooler than usual out there? If so, that can also reduce your mileage.

Are you Ubering around with 3 400-pound passengers?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I got a CVT... when I go from San Jose to Palo alto it seems to be totally flat for me, no hills

AC is on but cooler(snow icon) is off,so I assume compresser is off... and it was just me in a empty car

what's strange was when my car before 38000mi, I normally check MPG and its always about 41, so I haven't check it for a long time until I changed my tire(happened at 43000mi), it seems I lost a lot of MPG, maybe engine is worn out and getting older as well? I did not treat my mirage too good, cheap oil change from Walmat, cheap gas from circle K and 711...

doing Uber with a small gas tank making me fill my gas twice a day

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I got a CVT... when I go from San Jose to Palo alto it seems to be totally flat for me, no hills

AC is on but cooler(snow icon) is off,so I assume compresser is off... and it was just me in a empty car

what's strange was when my car before 38000mi, I normally check MPG and its always about 41, so I haven't check it for a long time until I changed my tire(happened at 43000mi), it seems I lost a lot of MPG, maybe engine is worn out and getting older as well? I did not treat my mirage too good, cheap oil change from Walmat, cheap gas from circle K and 711...

doing Uber with a small gas tank making me fill my gas twice a day
    You don’t have that many miles on your Mirage and a cheap oil change from Walmart is fine as long as they aren’t using the cheapy Fram filter with the cardboard innards. Have you ran a bottle of Techron through your Mirage? Wallyworld sells it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    You don’t have that many miles on your Mirage and a cheap oil change from Walmart is fine as long as they aren’t using the cheapy Fram filter with the cardboard innards. Have you ran a bottle of Techron through your Mirage? Wallyworld sells it.

never used products like that, I will check it out, thanks

how do you make fuel logs? my Mirage got only "A", and it reset by itself, did you make someting to post MPG logs automatically?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    never used products like that, I will check it out, thanks
    We’ve had a few members that have reported better drivability after running a bottle of Techron through. It doesn’t have to be Techron but it should not be the cheapo DollarTree variety. I think a 12 Oz bottle of Techron runs about $8-10 US.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    We’ve had a few members that have reported better drivability after running a bottle of Techron through. It doesn’t have to be Techron but it should not be the cheapo DollarTree variety. I think a 12 Oz bottle of Techron runs about $8-10 US.
    already found it on Amazon.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Shift your target speed from 55-65 to 50-60 and you'll get a LOT closer to 50 mpg. The time you're spending at >60 mph is what's killing you. I've found that below 55, my car will get 50-52 mpg or more. As soon as I start getting up to 60 and over, it dives.

As mentioned above... 70 mph? Forget it. You're doing well to get over 35 mpg at that kind of speed. Which is sad, because I remember setting the cruise control at 80 on my Z4 coupe and seeing 31 mpg without thinking about it.

City driving is going to be all about how you accelerate, how much you can coast, timing traffic lights, etc. You'll usually be at the mercy of traffic in that instance, and if you spend a lot of time stopped, your city mpg could be down around 32.

50 mpg takes a particular set of circumstances to achieve. If your typical drive doesn't fit those circumstances, you won't see it.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Shift your target speed from 55-65 to 50-60 and you'll get a LOT closer to 50 mpg. The time you're spending at >60 mph is what's killing you. I've found that below 55, my car will get 50-52 mpg or more. As soon as I start getting up to 60 and over, it dives.

As mentioned above... 70 mph? Forget it. You're doing well to get over 35 mpg at that kind of speed. Which is sad, because I remember setting the cruise control at 80 on my Z4 coupe and seeing 31 mpg without thinking about it.

City driving is going to be all about how you accelerate, how much you can coast, timing traffic lights, etc. You'll usually be at the mercy of traffic in that instance, and if you spend a lot of time stopped, your city mpg could be down around 32.

50 mpg takes a particular set of circumstances to achieve. If your typical drive doesn't fit those circumstances, you won't see it.

I see, maybe my MPG are normal, for uber its not worth it to slow down... always more profitable to go faster

do you think if I install a cruise control will it save more gas?

https://www.amazon.com/Rostra-250-96.../dp/B011ITZZE2

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If cruise control is going to do a better job of keeping your speed in the range that you want to be in, then it could help. But, if your goal is to drive 65 mph... whether you do it with your foot or the CC probably won't matter much.

I agree, your MPG is pretty normal for the way you're driving the car. If making time makes you money, then just accept it and move on.

For city driving, you MIGHT be able to improve your MPG without costing yourself any time. You've been on the road enough to know that no matter how fast you drive between the lights... you're still gonna get stopped at the lights. So, if you pace your acceleration, and think ahead enough, you can often COAST a lot more driving around town. Unless you're in traffic that keeps you STOPPED, you can possibly get your city mpg up considerably by playing those games.

If you've not looked into it already, there are "hypermiling techniques" that can help you get at least 10-20% better fuel economy. They'll be of more help in the city environment than they will at a constant speed on the highway where you're trying to make time at an average of 60+ mph.

I can see 52-55 mpg in my car pretty easily driving around town if the traffic is right and I'm not in a hurry. And I've seen over 60 mpg on about an hour long back road trip where I never went over 50 mph and was able to coast a lot. But, TYPICAL driving around in traffic nets me closer to 38-42 mpg. And TYPICAL cruising down the highway at 50-55 mph will net me 48 mpg. I'd say I roughly lose 1 mpg for every mph faster that I go beyond 50 mph.

50 mpg at 50 mph is probably a pretty easily achievable goal for most people in the Mirage on a typical highway. A little more if you go slower (especially if you can incorporate some coasting), and less as you go faster. I find that it gets depressingly bad as you get over 70 mph! Still better than most cars... but, uninspiring.

Simplify and add lightness.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-25-2020),Top_Fuel (02-25-2020)