Thread: 2013 Mirage 3 Failed to start

Country
    UK
    Thanks

2013 Mirage 3 Failed to start

Pushing the Start button lights up the dash normally, but there is no engine cranking.

Attempted to diagnose the problem to be either north or south of the starter relay. The relay (bottom right of the relay box in the engine bay) was removed and tested - contacts and coil all good. Relay reinserted, and added two small wires across the coil contacts, coupled to an LED, to indicate coil power. On the next attempt to start, the LED lit and the engine started normally.

I can only conclude the relay is slightly sticky. No signs of corrosion anywhere electrical. I guess it might also be the clutch switch, but there isn't a fault to find at the moment.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Is there a security key warning lamp blinking or otherwise illuminated on your dashboard when trying to start?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    No - dash lights normal. Key battery recently changed.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Start with the relay.

Here in Canada there are a multitude of relays known to fail by MMNA. We check and replace at every vehicles service, new ones have been released in the last few years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Its a Panasonic relay so I might invest in a few of the different types. Thanks for the advice.

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    I have two Mirage 3s, same year 2013. A couple of years ago one failed to crank on pushing the start button. I removed the starter motor - seemed OK. Cleaned it up and replaced it on the vehicle. All OK since. At the time I put the failure down to an oversize mat obstructing the clutch pedal and preventing the lower switch from operating.

About six months ago the second Mirage also failed to crank in the same way. Starter motor removed, but this time I noticed some corrosion of the faston terminal connected to the solenoid. Cleaning and replacing the starter motor as before resulted in no further problems.

So now my thoughts are that the problem is due to oxidation of the exposed faston terminal that connects to the solenoid. Just removing and replacing the terminal is enough to bust through the oxide layer and make it function again. That theory sort of rings true as both cars failed at a similar age. I added a contact grease to the terminal to inhibit corrosion, just in case I still have the cars for another 10 years....

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoundAdvice For This Useful Post:

Fummins (06-07-2023),inuvik (06-07-2023)