Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlimited MPGs? Should I worry?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Question Unlimited MPGs? Should I worry?

Not sure if this is the right thread, but let's try.

Today, I had a short trip to make; about 10-15 minutes.
    It's below freezing and windy as ****, so I used the remote start for 5 or 10 minutes and went on my way. 50% City driving, 50% highway.

I noticed my MPGs were quite high when I got in the car, and thought maybe I've just been very economical today. However, as I continued on my trip I noticed my MPGs kept increasing. Thought that was weird, so I started to drive aggressively (hard Accel, etc) and still they kept going up. I imagine some sensor somewhere may be frozen, but I wanted to get an opinion from the group as to whether something may be awry. TIA!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhelinski View Post
    Not sure if this is the right thread, but let's try.

Today, I had a short trip to make; about 10-15 minutes.
    It's below freezing and windy as ****, so I used the remote start for 5 or 10 minutes and went on my way. 50% City driving, 50% highway.

I noticed my MPGs were quite high when I got in the car, and thought maybe I've just been very economical today. However, as I continued on my trip I noticed my MPGs kept increasing. Thought that was weird, so I started to drive aggressively (hard Accel, etc) and still they kept going up. I imagine some sensor somewhere may be frozen, but I wanted to get an opinion from the group as to whether something may be awry. TIA!

Make sure you're not on one of the trip odometers by accident.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (02-28-2020),Fummins (02-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you're on the trip meter that resets itself, then it starts at "zero", which displays as "----" or "incalculable". If you then idle for 5-10 minutes, you have a really STRONG zero (you've used a bit of fuel, and traveled zero miles).

If you then start driving, your average is going to increase RAPIDLY, and will likely continue to increase for quite some time until you get close to your actual average.

Experiment with it if you want to. Try doing what you did. Start the car and let it idle for 5 minutes, then go drive. See what the average does.

Then... do the same thing, but RESET the meter before you start driving. Your MPG will still increase as you drive, but without having to average out that long period of idling, it will settle in much more quickly.

Sounds like it's likely normal operation.
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Daox (02-28-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Name:  20200227_185147.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  80.9 KB
    No I get that much. I always have it on that meter/gauge. You're right, if I start it & let it idle it'll start at 0, hence my MPGs are usually kept in the 20s-30s (jealous of you guys' high mpg posts) that's why I was thinking something's wrong. It's still increasing, whether idle or driving, regardless of resetting it. I think I might only have one MPG gauge/meter that resets after a couple hours of not driving.

I might be wrong but that's probably just your trip meter that tells you how far you drive. The mpg should probably say avg at the top and mpg at the bottom. Keep pushing the button til you get to the right screen..
    I think they all reset the economy reading while on menu "a" after 4 hours of not driving. Or something like that. Use the advanced search bar thing to figure it out.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hm. Good to know!

Also, I just remembered I left out possibly a vital detail from the original post. Something was going on with the suspension or power steering. Car was vibrating, and steering had no resistance whatsoever, which I thought was odd. That's what originally brought me to the "must be broken" conclusion.

Can you give a better explanation.. Vibrating mirage, yep 3 cylinders vibrate. Little steering resistance, power steering will do that.
    Vibration while braking, driving, idling, cornering on ice, braking on ice? Brake pedal pulsing? Orange light on dash blinking?
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Vibrating while driving, resistance decreasing with speed

I'm surprised eggman hasn't asked you to make a garage entry yet.. I'm assuming you have a newer Mirage 2018+ or whenever they came out with that cluster. Is it safe to assume this may be your first car?

Might have a bent or out of balance wheel. The steel ones bend pretty easily. One of the aluminum ones on mine even has a nice wobble to it. These things have electric power steering that doesn't give very good road feel in my opinion and takes a little getting used to. The steering is usually pretty light, I assume you notice a difference while parked with the car running vs off?
    Mirage videos:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Your display in the photo is showing miles. Not average MPG. The only thing that mode can do is count up as you drive.

Simplify and add lightness.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Jhelinski (02-29-2020),MetroMPG (02-28-2020)