Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I might have out-cheaped the cheap! (Cheapest roadworthy used Mirage?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    Don't count on that free engine too hard. The 100k warranty is only good to the orignial purchaser. Second owner gets the 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, but not the 100k.

But, if you need an engine, they can be had for $500-800 pretty easily. Even if you had to do that, it's still a pretty solid deal!
    It's a 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty that transfers, but that isn't of any help either. I believe Karl was joking about the free engine. Unless I lost count, this is Karl's 4th Mirage that he has bought in the past year.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-01-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    $850 is a steal. I'd say you got your money's worth, even with the the cleanup you had to do. Body and interior look to be in great condition.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's a 5-year/60,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty that transfers
    I always get that wrong.

I'm still under warranty for another 11k miles. Woot!

Should probably take it in and get some service bulletins and stuff done. But, then I'd have to go there. Meh.
    Simplify and add lightness.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The engine replacement is part of a recall, not the warranty. My other 15 Mirage had the engine replaced out of warranty as well before I bought it.

The car runs just fine, but it qualifies for the replacement program so may as well take advantage of it! I'll be taking it in this coming week I believe so I'll keep you all informed if they actually replace the engine or not.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    The engine replacement is part of a recall, not the warranty. My other 15 Mirage had the engine replaced out of warranty as well before I bought it.

The car runs just fine, but it qualifies for the replacement program so may as well take advantage of it! I'll be taking it in this coming week I believe so I'll keep you all informed if they actually replace the engine or not.
    How do I know if I qualify for the replacement program? Would Mitsu alert me? I don't think I'm having any engine problems? What should I look for?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's two parts. First, go on Mitsubishi's website and out in your vin to see if the car needs the service done. If so, bring it in. They'll reprogram the ecu first. If the engine makes noise still when it's cold it gets new engine.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-01-2020),Dirk Diggler (03-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,120 Posts
    It's two parts. First, go on Mitsubishi's website and out in your vin to see if the car needs the service done. If so, bring it in. They'll reprogram the ecu first. If the engine makes noise still when it's cold it gets new engine.
    Whether your engine checks out to be OK or it gets replaced with a new one, you have done well. Under $1,000 for a car doesn't buy much these days. New engine or not, Mirage owners like us know you have done well with this purchase. If the new free engine does happen, getting all this for under $1,000 is quite amazing!

I'm sure you'll keep us posted!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Went in today and had the reflash performed. They told me to let them know if the engine makes noise when it's cold or not so we'll go from there. Paid to have the transmission TSB reflash done, the transmission seems to like that. Have to go back for the SRS recall because they had to order parts so I'll be doing that once they call me and let me know when that stuff is there.

Asked if/when they replace the engine if the transmission comes out with it and they said that the transmission remains in the vehicle. Drat. I was tempted to pick up a three digit mileage trans from the yard and have them slap it in there since the labor would basically be free if the trans came out with the motor. Oh well haha. I went and got the cartridge filter from the Nissan dealer so I'll be changing the transmission fluid on it sometime soon. Got it a new cabin filter as it was plugged solid and nasty. Going to pick up new spark plugs, air filter, and a serpentine belt since they're all in questionable condition. Figure if they replace the motor they can use those new parts on the new one. If they don't, then it needs them anyway.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Hold up... what recall?
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...03105-0335.pdf
    This one!

Didn't change the side filter but did change out the trans fluid. Man was it NASTY. I'll be doing it again in a few weeks and I'll change the filter at that point. Try to get as much clean juice in that thing as possible. I also replaced the plugs which were original, air filter which was probably also original, and cleaned the nasty throttle body. I also popped out the dent that was in the driver door so it looks way better now.
    Name:  Red Mirage Door.jpg
Views: 432
Size:  91.1 KB

Last edited by Dodge Aries K; 03-04-2020 at 05:42 AM.