Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: I might have out-cheaped the cheap! (Cheapest roadworthy used Mirage?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's really clacky when it's cold. I'll have to get it off of my old phone. More so when you're accelerating versus it just sitting there.

-Karl B. No Mirages currently...

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge Aries K View Post
    Car goes in Monday up to Mad City to get it's engine replaced. They have a skeleton crew working in the shop while they're closed down so that works for me. Mirage will be happy to have nice new engine.
    That's good news! I am glad that is working out for you!

I know you have owned both the 2014-15 models and the 2017+ models. Have you sensed much of a difference in engines?

If I recall right, your 1st one was a manual. It may be hard to compare the engines of the manual vs CVT? Rather than changing the variable of a 74 hp & 78 hp engine, you are also changing the transmission.

No matter what, I would be very happy about all this if I were you. I may have to back off on my slamming Mad City, too!
    Last edited by Mark; 04-02-2020 at 03:54 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I currently own two 2015's (one stick and one auto) and a 2019 which is a auto. My wife has a 2020 but it's also an auto. Comparing the auto 2015 to the auto 2019 or 2020 it's definitely slower but I'll have to see after it has a new engine without the defects and not rental car abused hahaha.

As for Mad City, don't back off slamming them. Their sales department is trash. I mean they got closed down because of their garbage. Their service people are decent though.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    It's really clacky when it's cold. I'll have to get it off of my old phone. More so when you're accelerating versus it just sitting there.
    Mine shows the same symptoms, and getting worse. Once warmed up, the symptoms go away.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Sounds like mine too. Now that the wife stays home I may try to take mine to the stealership one of these days and see what they say? So, you didn't need to provide any maintenance history?

The dealer nearby denied warranty on one of our cvt's cause we didn't have proof of 2 cvt fluid "flushes".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I popped the hood on the demo Mirage I drove back in 2014, the same day I ordered my own Mirage. The thing sounded tinny and clacky brand new like a big sewing machine while it was idling, this is normal for the Mirage and the 3 cylinder style engine. That's all it is, I'm sure it could be something else in some cases, but my own 2014 Mirage is smooth when you drive it, but not always and even your rear view mirror can shake downshifting.

Cold winter night starting at 3 F outside, and ya it's gonna struggle a bit and start a bit rough. Gummy shifts that feel like molasses, for 10 minutes.
    Last edited by dspace9; 04-02-2020 at 07:13 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

I respectfully disagree. I've driven at least 40 different Mirages...Karl has owned 3-4? Out of all the ones we have at work only one sounds knocky like mine. Most of them are a little noisy when cold but mine is all the time, unlike every single 15-19 I am around daily(except 1). I find huge differences in the way these things drive. I drove a 17' the other day with 220k km, it had tons of power and throttle response was way better than mine. I drove a 17' with 140k kms today and it was a dog in comparison, similar to mine lol. Both 17's have been maintained by me since new.

Besides there a tsb that says replace the engine if a reflash doesn't fix it. Aparently my car had the ecu reflashed a few years ago.

"During cold start, the engine ECU may order inappropriate fuel amounts which may cause engine noise.
    This campaign bulletin instructs dealers to reprogram the ECM with new software on all affected vehicles.
    In rare cases, if the vehicle exhibits an engine knocking noise, the engine may need to be replaced.
    AFFECTED VEHICLES
    Certain 2014 - 2015 Mirage vehicles built before February 18, 2015 "

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...03104-0335.pdf

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    So, you didn't need to provide any maintenance history?
    Man this car started off it's life as a RENTAL/FLEET CAR and they're still changing it hahaha. And yes, there's currently four Mirages at my house. My first one I traded back in for my Outlander Sport.

As for the noise, the other Mirages didn't make the same sound. It's a piston slap kind of sound I'm used to from old Chrysler 2.0/2.2/2.4/2.5 4 cylinders hahaha. However, Mitsubishi doesn't think piston slap is okay and is replacing the engine because of it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Got little red back home today. Nice new engine. Nice and quiet. I checked over quite a bit of the car before I left the dealer but it seems like they did a good job. I had them balance the wheels too so now it's smooth and good.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (04-11-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I have no idea if I need this because I dont know what engine slap sounds like? As for the G4, I thought the engine sounded rougher at 75 mph and quiets down alot at 70 mph. I listen to podcasts sometimes and I had a harder time hearing it at 75 mph. This wasnt the case 6 months ago. All the same variables too, speed, sound, etc. My trusted mechanic said he couldn't tell any differences. So I trust him, but considering the engine was replaced and the currrent one is only a year old, I had to get it checked out.