Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine RPM's increasing when going downhill

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Engine RPM's increasing when going downhill

Is this normal? I hadn't noticed it before, but lately, when I'm going downhill and I take my foot off of the accelerator pedal, I notice the engine rpms increasing. Is this something like Nissan's Downhill Assist feature?

I did get the recent CVT reprogramming: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...e-Transmission

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    If that was downhill assist, then wouldn't the CVT be slowing down the car, and the rpm's go up in the lower gear?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Is this normal? I hadn't noticed it before, but lately, when I'm going downhill and I take my foot off of the accelerator pedal, I notice the engine rpms increasing. Is this something like Nissan's Downhill Assist feature?

I did get the recent CVT reprogramming: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...e-Transmission
    With an automatic transmission, when in gear, the drive wheels are connected to the engine via the transmission. So, even if you take your foot off the accelerator, with enough decline, gravity and momentum may increase the speed of your car, which on turn will increase the speed of your engine and tachometer. Try it on the same hill in neutral and see what happens. And yes, I know its illegal in some places to put your car in neutral and coast. But this is science, damn it. Just this once...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (03-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    If that was downhill assist, then wouldn't the CVT be slowing down the car, and the rpm's go up in the lower gear?
    I don't know, which is why I'm asking. I didn't notice this behavior before the CVT reprogramming.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    With an automatic transmission, when in gear, the drive wheels are connected to the engine via the transmission. So, even if you take your foot off the accelerator, with enough decline, gravity and momentum may increase the speed of your car, which on turn will increase the speed of your engine and tachometer. Try it on the same hill in neutral and see what happens. And yes, I know its illegal in some places to put your car in neutral and coast. But this is science, damn it. Just this once...
    If I put it into neutral, the rpm's drop to 1000 and stays there while the car coasts downhill.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    If I put it into neutral, the rpm's drop to 1000 and stays there while the car coasts downhill.

So, now you know what's causing the increased RPM's going downhill with your foot off the gas!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

Rockabilly Manta (03-06-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And yes, I know its illegal in some places to put your car in neutral and coast. But this is science, damn it. Just this once...
    Just explain the gravity of the situation to the officer...
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to 01-7700 For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk
    yes, I know its illegal in some places to put your car in neutral and coast.
    Yes, well, speeding is illegal too... You really think it's that obvious ? When going downhill do you hit the brakes to avoid 46 in a 45, lol.

I'm trying to enable the reverse gear downhill assist abs traction control stability take over anti roll over descent management assist system that my neighbor's friend told me he hear from his brother in laws's cousin that read about it on the internet. Wonder if that's the same thing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Mark (03-02-2020),poorman1 (03-02-2020),Rockabilly Manta (03-06-2020),ThunderG (03-03-2020),Top_Fuel (03-02-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So, now you know what's causing the increased RPM's going downhill with your foot off the gas!
    Not really, since I didn't see this behavior before the CVT reprogramming. I'm surprised if they changed its behavior that much.