Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2021 Mirage - changes to manual gear ratios?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Hello ProDigit and welcome to the forum. Please make an introductory post and tell us more about yourself and your Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    But if by some miraculous reason, it does lug, give it a squirt of graphite in the engine oil!
    Interesting. I wonder why more engine oil manufacturers don't include graphite in their blend? I wonder if it poisons catalytic converters.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Hello ProDigit and welcome to the forum. Please make an introductory post and tell us more about yourself and your Mirage.

Interesting. I wonder why more engine oil manufacturers don't include graphite in their blend? I wonder if it poisons catalytic converters.
    Good question!
    I ran it in my car for a bit, seems to improve low end torque, MPG, engine smoothness, engine oil life, and costs about $1 per squirt (the $8 bottle has a good 8 squirts, at 1 squirt per oil change).

I would think it wouldn't harm the Cat., because it remains contained (trapped/suspended) in the engine oil, unless the engine is burning oil.
    Aside from that, it helps lubricate piston and cylinder walls, helps debris from forming on the valves, helps cool the engine (and turbos), does not increase oil weight...

By adding it to the end of my oil life (6k miles) it added another 3k miles of range (engine wasn't vibrating during idle) before I noticed it was time for an oil change.

They do sell bottles with this stuff mixed with oil, but it's $20 for a bottle that contains less than this!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
    Good question!
    I ran it in my car for a bit, seems to improve low end torque, MPG, engine smoothness, engine oil life, and costs about $1 per squirt (the $8 bottle has a good 8 squirts, at 1 squirt per oil change).

I would think it wouldn't harm the Cat., because it remains contained (trapped/suspended) in the engine oil, unless the engine is burning oil.
    Aside from that, it helps lubricate piston and cylinder walls, helps debris from forming on the valves, helps cool the engine (and turbos), does not increase oil weight...

By adding it to the end of my oil life (6k miles) it added another 3k miles of range (engine wasn't vibrating during idle) before I noticed it was time for an oil change.

They do sell bottles with this stuff mixed with oil, but it's $20 for a bottle that contains less than this!
    First I've heard of graphite for engines. I've used graphite lubricants and I hate 'em. Graphite gums stuff up. No way would I recommend that as a good thing. But I'd have to learn more about this. If you say it's good, and its manufacturers say it's good, then it must be good and that sure says something.

Fun reading!
    What happened to Arco graphite motor oil?
    Anybody heard of Krex Graphite engine lubricant?

That aside, you'll have to tell us about your Mirage.
    Last edited by Eggman; 04-10-2020 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Added BITOG info

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    First I've heard of graphite for engines. I've used graphite lubricants and I hate 'em. Graphite gums stuff up. No way would I recommend that as a good thing. But I'd have to learn more about this. If you say it's good, and its manufacturers say it's good, then it must be good and that sure says something.

Fun reading!
    What happened to Arco graphite motor oil?
    Anybody heard of Krex Graphite engine lubricant?

That aside, you'll have to tell us about your Mirage.
    I don't know if it gums up things, I don't think so.
    It's a fine, 20-30 micron powder, that fully diffuses in oil.
    That's finer than the carbon and debris floating around in the engine oil.
    It doesn't stick to itself when mixed with oil, and can't burn by itself inside engine temps.
    Not sure what happens at the hotter parts of the engine, but at the valves, they seem to actually remove any carbon buildup.
    It coats metal, gives it strength and corrosion resistance, by forming a layer on top of it.
    I've seen it happen in my coffee grinder (trying to grind this stuff).

great for bearings, cogs, ...

I'm still trying to figure out it's Achilles heel, and why it never became famous.
    There must be a reason, but all I could find online, is potentially contaminate used oil (meaning, it makes it harder for them to recycle used oil; which is good, because you don't really want recycled oil anyway).

Last edited by ProDigit; 04-10-2020 at 11:21 AM.