Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: using my little Mirage as a camping power source

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm not sure I understand the environment you're trying to operate in. Maybe this is just a bad idea all around?

Simplify and add lightness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I'll say this again. Leave San Fran! No town is that cool where you have justify living in a Mirage just because you think the area code is posh. Problem solved. Move to Oregon or something.

well there is many factor to consider... I rented out my house where located in a low cost area, I dont really know why I did it, but I was feeling bad on my life, maybe dont want to "end-up" there? maybe its a boring city with no good restaurants? so I took the adventure and moved to SF two month ago, this is the place where (I assume) the only place Uber driver could hit $30/hr..

soon I realized rent is just too much to spent, $1200-1400 a month? that's enough to pay for 3 mortages of brand new prius ! if I have so much money to spent, why can I find a better way to spent it? so I end up with this ieda.

after I get a van, I can enjoy living in front of those 2 million houses and enjoy their community resources without paying a penny on the property tax , sounds fun

just kidding, so far my goal is not get comfortable and waiting to die... I am trying to save and earn money , going the hard way and hopefully one day I had my financial freedom then I can move to a cheaper state and start my real life....

(I am also started to eat $1.5 hotdog in Costco now! image you only need $60 a month on food, that's even less then most developing country!)

I picture a guy parked in front of my house/your house/anyone’s house with a uhaul and a mirage walking back and forth with an extension cord and Jerry can at night. Then I see cops, tow truck, youtube........some yelling crying dog barking laughing, cheering, fireworks.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-07-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the environment you're trying to operate in. Maybe this is just a bad idea all around?

well my environment it's just SF or SSF ,Daly City or Redword city etc, that are all just in the 20 mintues away...

it might be a bed ieda though , that's why I planning on start with uhaul van so I could exit easier.

but at least so far in laws, only SF city prohibits people from inhabiting cars from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m.. and offenders can face a $1,000 fine or six months in jail.

and Redwood City it is prohibited within the city limits of Redwood City for anyone to sleep in, cook in, or use for any other living purposes an automobile, trailer, house trailer, camper, van, truck, pickup truck, recreational vehicle, boat or other vehicle. (RCC 14.72 N)

but I dont think all citys around SF banned living in a car, so I am not really required to "not to be noticed".

it's just to feel safer,and better to keep stealthed

- if people know you live here , they will know you have assets here, more likely to break-in,

- neighbors feel uncomfortable as are paying so much tax and rent to build the city and we live in "free"

- they would worry if they tolerate me living here, then more homeless people will start living on this street, it will ended with trashs, unusual objects on streets, crimes and finally damage their property value.

those are may not be the case, it's just I dont want people talking bad about me and look at me like a homeless(but I am!)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I picture a guy parked in front of my house/your house/anyone’s house with a uhaul and a mirage walking back and forth with an extension cord and Jerry can at night. Then I see cops, tow truck, youtube........some yelling crying dog barking laughing, cheering, fireworks.
    actually I think it's better to park on park / industry area , I always noted a few spot in the middle of no where but allowed to park, spot where no one cares and around in the night should be best, parking in front of a house definitely piss of people, but I dont think it's illegal
    Last edited by Fozziekyu; 03-07-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fozziekyu View Post
    do you think if your generator is placed inside of mirage with window closed( I will keep fan on ,ofc), does people walk close by could notice it?

I guess the big difference between noise of a generator and a idle car engine is our brain learned to ignore common noises , at least for me, I never pay extra attention to noticed a car near me is running, do you think a generator could cause more unusual noise that making people curious?
    It's not a good idea to run a generator inside your vehicle. Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill a person. Don't rely on your Mirage fan to provide proper ventilation.

This whole situation strikes me as a bad idea in many ways, and the suggestion of running a generator inside an enclosed space kinda seals the deal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (03-07-2020),Dirk Diggler (03-07-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    (I am also started to eat $1.5 hotdog in Costco now! image you only need $60 a month on food, that's even less then most developing country!)
    You may want to look into some vitamins & fiber.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    It's not a good idea to run a generator inside your vehicle. Carbon monoxide poisoning can kill a person. Don't rely on your Mirage fan to provide proper ventilation.

This whole situation strikes me as a bad idea in many ways, and the suggestion of running a generator inside an enclosed space kinda seals the deal.
    The way this guy has given up on life Carbon Monoxide might be the way to go? I kid.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (03-07-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    actually I think it's better to park on park / industry area , I always noted a few spot in the middle of no where but allowed to park, spot where no one cares and around in the night should be best, parking in front of a house definitely piss of people, but I dont think it's illegal
    It's so funny to me how San Francisco likes to flaunt how progressive and open it is buy yet when it comes to things like affordable housing the IT community just look the other way. Such hypocrisy from the Sunshine State. Dude, move to Sacramento or Bakersfield.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,821 Times in 2,127 Posts
    Hey Fozziekyu any updates?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)