Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When should we honestly change those pain in the butt rear drum shoes?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts

When should we honestly change those pain in the butt rear drum shoes?

Hi fellas. Wanted your opinion on something. The last time I got my brakes done the front pads were a cinch. Easy to find aftermarket pads, easy installation. The rear shoes were a whole other matter. My independent shop, had to order 3 different sets that their system said matched, but none of them did. They were just barely off and the owner ended up having to go to a Mitsu dealer, pay out the butt for them and measure them there! Mitsu made a barely slight size difference so aftermarkets wouldn't fit! So, in light of this and the fact the front pads do almost all the work. How often should we replace the rears? My shop guy said, 80k to 100k because of the low weight and the fact the rears don't do much. Just stay on top of the front pads as needed, like every 30 to 40k miles. Your thoughts?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    My shop guy said, 80k to 100k because of the low weight and the fact the rears don't do much. Just stay on top of the front pads as needed, like every 30 to 40k miles. Your thoughts?
    I had my rear drums cleaned once around 75,000 km mark, when I replaced my front discs.

Now I have 130,000 km's on my Mirage, with the 2nd front discs still on, and the rear drums are original. So that's what 80,000 miles on my drums as of today.

I think I should replace my drums by now, but they didn't need replacing at the 75k mark. I think that's like 40,000 miles. They don't scratch shreik like they were before they were cleaned, but they can make noise when it's damp and rainy outside. My Mirage is also parked outside all the time, in all weather conditions.

I was hoping my local Ford dealer could order the drums!? My "local" Mitsubishi dealer is sketchy, so I won't go there anymore. Ford just wants me to do frequent oil changes, but they charge 50% less than Mitsubishi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-08-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Your thoughts?
    Replace brake pads and shoes when they are worn.

Mileage is a good schedule for checking and noting their condition but not for replacement due to varying operating conditions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-08-2020),poorman1 (03-08-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,172 Times in 675 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Replace brake pads and shoes when they are worn.

Mileage is a good schedule for checking and noting their condition but not for replacement due to varying operating conditions.
    Agreed!

Rear linings are very much dependant on driving style!
    If you drive like 50mpg or better they will last very long.
    Mine have around 75% remaining after about 90 000km.
    If I drove like most folks, they might have worn out already.
    Last edited by foama; 03-08-2020 at 02:25 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Hi fellas. Wanted your opinion on something. The last time I got my brakes done the front pads were a cinch. Easy to find aftermarket pads, easy installation. The rear shoes were a whole other matter. My independent shop, had to order 3 different sets that their system said matched, but none of them did. They were just barely off and the owner ended up having to go to a Mitsu dealer, pay out the butt for them and measure them there! Mitsu made a barely slight size difference so aftermarkets wouldn't fit! So, in light of this and the fact the front pads do almost all the work. How often should we replace the rears? My shop guy said, 80k to 100k because of the low weight and the fact the rears don't do much. Just stay on top of the front pads as needed, like every 30 to 40k miles. Your thoughts?
    I searched how long rear drum brakes should last & this is the first thing that came up -

"about 200,000 miles
    The brake drums on your car are built to last for about 200,000 miles. In some cases, the drums will wear out sooner due to worn out internal components that put more strain on the drum. As your brake drums begin to wear down, they will actually become smaller." Jan 14, 2016

I agree with Eggman on this one. You replace your brakes when they need replacing & mileage isn't a good indicator of that. Someone who does a lot of highway miles is not going to go through brakes as fast someone who does a lot of stop and go city driving. One person may need brakes @ 30,000 miles while another may go well beyond 100,000 miles.

My 2000 Honda CR-V was rear ended (totaled) in 2013. It had 154,000 miles on it at the time, & it still had zero brake work done to it. Even the front brakes were original. Not trusting my own evaluation of them, & I would ask my local mechanic to look them over at times, and he would tell what percentage they had left.

When you drive a manual, you rely on your rear brakes (parking) more. Almost every day, I am setting my parking brake on a slight slope while my car is neutral to get the mail. Setting your parking brake, however, isn't what causes wear to your brakes. I just know they are still holding well when I do this.

My 2011 Subaru Forester (replaced my CR-V) hasn't done as well with brakes. The fronts were replaced around 70,000 miles and the rear disk (not drums) were replaced around 80,000 miles.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about your rear drum brakes. I even question them being replaced already.
    Last edited by Mark; 03-09-2020 at 02:52 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Mine made it to 80,000 miles. I changed them at 84,000 miles.

https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...n-introduction
    Last edited by Cobrajet; 03-09-2020 at 01:02 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

2of9 (03-09-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Just replacing the brake shoes shouldnt be that expensive right? Only if you have to replace the entire drum? Similar to how replacing just the pads and not the rotors too isnt too costly?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Just replacing the brake shoes shouldnt be that expensive right? Only if you have to replace the entire drum? Similar to how replacing just the pads and not the rotors too isnt too costly?
    The shoes are cheap, but fiddly to install. Drums should not be necessary unless you fcuk up and let them go too long like I did. I paid $26 for the shoes on Ebay.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-09-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I last inspected my drum brakes somewhere around 200k miles. They had plenty of life left in them. I will inspect them again at 300k miles. Car currently has 290k miles on it.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to stevedmc For This Useful Post:

TJ18CVT (07-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had to change the rear shoes on my black 2015 after I purchased it with 74K on it. They were shot. Had the drums turned, put new shoes (and spring kit) on, and now it's happy.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...