Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22

Thread: Rust on one of the detached head rests? Possible water leak ??

  1. #11
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,314
    Thanks
    772
    Thanked 209 Times in 170 Posts
    I looked under the boot, itschad, and I don't see any evidence of water damage. The cardboard cover over the spare seems intact, no evidence of water. Cardboard cover?!?

    Pryme and Fummins, I'm pretty sure I'm banned from my local Mitsubishi dealer. I milked them good.

    Nobu, it's cheap metal cladding and yea she's starting to bubble underneath.

    In conclusion, I love my Mirage but it is a cheap car.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dspace9 For This Useful Post:

    Eggman (03-12-2020),itschad (03-13-2020)

  3. #12
    Senior Member itschad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire England
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 154 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I looked under the boot, itschad, and I don't see any evidence of water damage. The cardboard cover over the spare seems intact, no evidence of water. Cardboard cover?!?

    Pryme and Fummins, I'm pretty sure I'm banned from my local Mitsubishi dealer. I milked them good.

    Nobu, it's cheap metal cladding and yea she's starting to bubble underneath.

    In conclusion, I love my Mirage but it is a cheap car.
    Then I suggest dear sir that there is no water ingress but do check rear footwells too to make certain. I'm scared sh?tless now to remove mine I've removed my head restraint simply because I wear a hat and the restraint interferes with my hat and I ain't having that.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (03-13-2020)

  5. #13
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,314
    Thanks
    772
    Thanked 209 Times in 170 Posts
    That must be some hat!

    I will check the rear footwells, and the carpet for any wetness. I left the one rear window open a crack accidentally for a few days last November, because they're rear roll down windows in my Mirage, and power front, so you forget about the back if it's open just a crack.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  6. #14
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,711
    Thanks
    3,514
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I left the one rear window open a crack accidentally for a few days last November
    That'll do it. Can't blame Mitsubishi for that.

    Should we update the thread title with the cause?

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.5 mpg (US) ... 21.0 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.4 mpg (Imp)


  7. #15
    Senior Member dspace9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Canada
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    1,314
    Thanks
    772
    Thanked 209 Times in 170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    That'll do it. Can't blame Mitsubishi for that.

    Should we update the thread title with the cause?
    No please don't change the title, any car should be rust-free inside with the windows open occasionally.

    Otherwise why have windows that open and close?

    This thread is pretty clear that the rust "could" have been my fault, but isn't necessarily. What title are you thinking? Clarity is king for me as well, so maybe we can figure it out. Honestly my car jack under the driver's side also has surface rust, so I feel people might want to know what chinzy measures by Mitsubishi lead to for their Mirages, as much as they're pretty good cars.
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-13-2020 at 08:04 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 214 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 39.8 mpg (US) ... 16.9 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 47.8 mpg (Imp)


  8. #16
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,711
    Thanks
    3,514
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    No please don't change the title, any car should be rust-free inside with the windows open occasionally.

    Otherwise why have windows that open and close?

    This thread is pretty clear that the rust "could" have been my fault, but isn't necessarily. What title are you thinking? Clarity is king for me as well, so maybe we can figure it out. Honestly my car jack under the driver's side also has surface rust, so I feel people might want to know what chinzy measures by Mitsubishi lead to for their Mirages, as much as they're pretty good cars.
    Interesting. The phrase 'Possible water leak ??' made me think of a design failure, not an operator error.

    My jack also has surface rust, but I attribute that to road salt tracked in by my footwear. Again, I can't blame Mitsubishi for that. Which brings up a question - does anyone outside of snowbelt / road salt areas have rust-free interior components?

    It just struck me that you probably have more rust inside your Mirage than outside haha.
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-13-2020 at 08:41 PM.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.5 mpg (US) ... 21.0 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.4 mpg (Imp)


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (03-13-2020)

  10. #17
    ****CAPTAIN FANTASTIC**** Fummins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Alberta
    Country
    Canada
    Posts
    3,612
    Thanks
    1,459
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 1,082 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Interesting. The phrase 'Possible water leak ??' made me think of a design failure, not an operator error.

    My jack also has surface rust, but I attribute that to road salt tracked in by my footwear. Again, I can't blame Mitsubishi for that. Which brings up a question - does anyone outside of snowbelt / road salt areas have rust-free interior components?

    It just struck me that you probably have more rust inside your Mirage than outside haha.
    Name:  +_bb84cc70bdf84e8d8357a8a48580a8de.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  49.9 KB
    My mom says I'm cool

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 35.5 mpg (US) ... 15.1 km/L ... 6.6 L/100 km ... 42.6 mpg (Imp)


  11. #18
    Moderator Eggman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    7,711
    Thanks
    3,514
    Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Lol. Again, I don't know where or how you get these pictures of me.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.5 mpg (US) ... 21.0 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.4 mpg (Imp)


  12. #19
    Senior Member itschad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire England
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 154 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    That must be some hat!

    I will check the rear footwells, and the carpet for any wetness. I left the one rear window open a crack accidentally for a few days last November, because they're rear roll down windows in my Mirage, and power front, so you forget about the back if it's open just a crack.
    Hat? I was going to say that I have a hat for every day of the year..........but I have more than one.
    Two short as my son has borrowed them, I wonder if i'll get 'em back.

    Name:  IMG_20200314_134003.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  97.2 KB

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

    dspace9 (03-14-2020)

  14. #20
    Senior Member itschad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Location
    West Yorkshire England
    Country
    UK
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    168
    Thanked 154 Times in 117 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I think you should file a complaint and demand a new car.
    Yeah, for another rusty one,



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •