Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rust on one of the detached head rests? Possible water leak ??

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Rust on one of the detached head rests? Possible water leak ??

I was doing some spring cleaning inside my Mirage earlier, and I noticed rust and wear on the two rods of my 1 head rest. The rear passenger ones I detach 99% of the time to save from having them cause big blindspots, so they just sit loose in my trunk.

I think there must be water coming in somewhere, I'm not sure how this could have happened?

Compare good and bad:
    Name:  good head rest.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  bad head rest.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  73.6 KB

**I didn't have my snow scraper in the trunk until today, so that wasn't the culprit.

Last edited by dspace9; 03-08-2020 at 09:20 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    I removed my rear headrests & rear cargo cover from day one, & they've been sitting on a shelf in a spare bedroom closet. I seldom have passengers in the back.

Hard to speculate another person's rusty part?

In my case, I haul bags of salt for my water softener at times. Wet boots have been thrown in the back. I carry snow shovels in the back quite often. Lots of things could create rust on a part like the headrest, & that is why mine are in my extra bedroom closet.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-09-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I removed my rear headrests & rear cargo cover from day one, & they've been sitting on a shelf in a spare bedroom closet. I seldom have passengers in the back.

Hard to speculate another person's rusty part?

In my case, I haul bags of salt for my water softener at times. Wet boots have been thrown in the back. I carry snow shovels in the back quite often. Lots of things could create rust on a part like the headrest, & that is why mine are in my extra bedroom closet.
    Yea sure eh, hard to speculate. But I find the rust surprising. I don't carry anything in the back that could cause rust. I have a spare toque and gloves in the back, and the headrests, that's about it. No salty boots, no shovels.

The past few months have seen some free lumber in the car, and also some 3 tab shingles. And weekly groceries. No salty stuff.

My winter boots cause lots of havoc up front, that's primarily why I was washing out my interior today.

Maybe my headrests should move indoors too.

I have taken my Mirage to Krown rust control since I bought it new, so most of the car looks to be in extremely good shape. I did a fairly thorough inspection today.

The piano black plastic interior is fading a bit now, and the driver's seat cloth has seen better days; natural wear and tear, and fading, and McDonald's takeout stains. Mayo on my french fries and a stick shift.
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-09-2020 at 05:42 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.2 mpg (US) ... 17.9 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Hey dspace9 that headrest looks like it got wet. I imagine once is all it would take for rust to take hold there.

I rarely take my rear seat headrests out as I occasionally carry passengers.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-10-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Water off your hair or coat? Excessive sweating?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pryme For This Useful Post:

dspace9 (03-10-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yea eh I dunno, I find it very strange that a big amount of rust would develop like that, in the trunk, where my sweaty armpits and wet hair and jacket never are.

I was wondering if water was coming into the trunk somehow? I carry lots of stuff in my Mirage, but it's generally dry stuff. I find this weird!
    Last edited by dspace9; 03-10-2020 at 05:28 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Looks like cheap metal/plating. Rust doesn't need salt or (liquid) water to occur. Simply being in a somewhat humid environment with dissimilar metals in contact with each other is enough to cause rust.

In this case, the plating on the spike was likely damaged, and then the latching mechanism (or a part thereof) in direct or indirect contact began to rust. Once it's started, it can continue even without contact until it's neutralized – you can see how it continued to rust under the plating, which has begun bubbling up and flaking off.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dspace9 View Post
    I was doing some spring cleaning inside my Mirage earlier, and I noticed rust and wear on the two rods of my 1 head rest. The rear passenger ones I detach 99% of the time to save from having them cause big blindspots, so they just sit loose in my trunk.

I think there must be water coming in somewhere, I'm not sure how this could have happened?

Compare good and bad:
    Name:  good head rest.jpg
Views: 875
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  bad head rest.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  73.6 KB

**I didn't have my snow scraper in the trunk until today, so that wasn't the culprit.
    I reckon they were rusty upon application. If there was water ingress it would naturally fall, check your boot (trunk) well where the spare wheel is, check footwells too. If all dry I'd suggest no leaking.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to itschad For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-12-2020)

I think you should file a complaint and demand a new car.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-12-2020),Pryme (03-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I think you should file a complaint and demand a new car.
    A fully loaded outlander too due to the mental stress this has caused, the mirage would just bring up too many bad memories of rusty headrest posts to endure.