Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirage Land Speed Car? (Don't laugh too hard)

Senior Member Subcompact Culture's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Mirage Land Speed Car? (Don't laugh too hard)

Name:  491798275_6ed69587d3_o.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  70.5 KB

I have this fascination with the slower cars of the Bonneville Salt Flats, particularly the record-setting Subaru Justy that did 123.224 mph in 1989 (pictured above). The car was a de-stroked 1.2-liter three cylinder (sound familiar?) that was extensively modified to set the record. You can read all about it here: https://www.autoweek.com/news/a21070...salted-scooby/

Name:  20180908_122100_HDR.jpg
Views: 532
Size:  102.5 KB
    (Hey, at least I got the look right!)

I often wonder what it'd take to best this record in a modern vehicle? I know 123 doesn't sound that fast. But running at Bonneville isn't like simply blasting down the highway. It's a whole other animal.

I do wonder what it'd take to get a 1.0-liter A390 to go this fast on salt? Probably a ton of work I'd think. But I have this odd fascination about bringing a "lowly" Mirage to Bonneville and besting that Justy record!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think you could do it with some suspension mods and maybe some stripping.

But more importantly, where'd you get those rims?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    I think you could do it with some suspension mods and maybe some stripping.

But more importantly, where'd you get those rims?
    eBay.

Surely suspension will increase top speed. Who needs areodynamics or power. It has to look fast to be fast. I think striping would make it faster though. And stickers. Lots of stickers. Oh and a hood scoop and chrome exhaust tip.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

mohammad (01-21-2022),Nobu (04-28-2020),timw4mail (04-30-2020)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Gotta keep the rubber on the road.

And everyone knows stripes add power.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You guys bring up good points. Look at the stickers on the Justy? If it was PAINT? No wonder it went so fast.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Don't be too quick to overlook the power of Mobil 1.

That and shorts to shave weight.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subcompact Culture View Post
    You guys bring up good points. Look at the stickers on the Justy? If it was PAINT? No wonder it went so fast.
    If you dig a little, you can see some parallels between the Justy & Mirage. The Justy had a 3-cylinder 1.0L or 1.2L engine option. According to some sources, it was one of the first CVT cars sold in America, too.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ys-cool-257084

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Justy

I believe one of my first cousins had a Justy. In the end, I remember my uncle adding some 2"x4" boards under the driver's seat. It kept the driver's seat from falling through the rusty bottom of the car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    If you dig a little, you can see some parallels between the Justy & Mirage. The Justy had a 3-cylinder 1.0L or 1.2L engine option. According to some sources, it was one of the first CVT cars sold in America, too.

https://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...ys-cool-257084

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Justy

I believe one of my first cousins had a Justy. In the end, I remember my uncle adding some 2"x4" boards under the driver's seat. It kept the driver's seat from falling through the rusty bottom of the car.
    I had an '89 Justy. No AWD or anything, 5 speed. It was and still is one of the best cars I have ever owned. I think it had a 1bbl carb on it..LOL I am hoping my Mirage will be as good as that Justy was....but I love I3 engines so I am sure it will.
    2018 Mirage SE CVT "ColorLine"

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJ18CVT View Post
    I had an '89 Justy. No AWD or anything, 5 speed. It was and still is one of the best cars I have ever owned. I think it had a 1bbl carb on it..LOL I am hoping my Mirage will be as good as that Justy was....but I love I3 engines so I am sure it will.
    That was near the end of the carburetor era. I drove a 1990 Ford Festiva (designed by Mazda, built by KIA, sold by Ford) for 14 years. The 1988-89 Festiva had a carburetor, & the 1990-93 were fuel injected. We traded in an old Plymouth Horizon (which had carburetor issues during cold weather) for the fuel injected Festiva. The Festiva wasn't a 3-cylinder, however. It had a 1.3L 4 cylinder engine (63 hp). If they sold those cars today, I would have bought another one. Even my base level Mirage is a luxury hatchback by comparison.