Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many miles is the MZ690072 (or 1230A105) filter good for?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

How many miles is the MZ690072 (or 1230A105) filter good for?

Since (as far as I know), the same Mitsubishi filter is used globally, and the European cars have 12,500 mile (20,000km) oci, can I reasonably assume the Mitsubishi (Denso) filters are good for at least 12,500 mile oil change intervals?
    Anyone in Europe able to confirm the part number of the filter that comes with a new Mirage?
    Just asking in the event that I try Mobil 1 EP. I like the Denso filters and always use them.
    Thanks.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Probably, though I am not sure the OEM filters have a 'rating' for maximum service life like an aftermarket filter might. I have used them for the last 100,000 miles, and just change them at 7,500 miles. They aren't all that expensive if you buy them 5-10 at a time.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The thought of a 20,000km oil change makes my bones chill.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    The thought of a 20,000km oil change makes my bones chill.
    I would also, if it were 10w40 Quaker State in a 70's car.
    Newer oils and filters are dramatically better than the stuff we used to use. I did a lot of reading and got lots of opinions before I was convinced extended oci and synthetic oils are fine.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomrad For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-25-2020),Mirageman38 (04-25-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomrad View Post
    Newer oils and filters are dramatically better than the stuff we used to use. I did a lot of reading and got lots of opinions before I was convinced extended oci and synthetic oils are fine.
    Keep in mind not everyone used the stuff 'we' used to use. Not judging anyone's age here hahaha.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So, my first question is on your 20,000km oil changes, how much time is spent in ambient temperatures under -20C, and how much time is spent above 40C?

That's what I do oil changes on time, well, that and the warranty.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 43.5 mpg (US) ... 18.5 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,820 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Since (as far as I know), the same Mitsubishi filter is used globally, and the European cars have 12,500 mile (20,000km) oci, can I reasonably assume the Mitsubishi (Denso) filters are good for at least 12,500 mile oil change intervals?
    Anyone in Europe able to confirm the part number of the filter that comes with a new Mirage?
    Just asking in the event that I try Mobil 1 EP. I like the Denso filters and always use them.
    Thanks.
    By the way there's lots of variables to take into account when judging filtration capacity. Shouldn't harsh conditions require more frequent filter changes? Like lots of cold starts, short runs, never warming up, hard driving habits - there's probably more for someone else to add but you probably get the point.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 2,121 Posts
    I done a lot of reading & research on all this, & I haven't come away with the same conclusion.

I still believe normal/regular maintenance trumps a company/product claim.

We can surely move past the days of 3,000 mile oil change intervals, but I am not buying the extreme claims of some products. Does a poor quality synthetic oil exist?

From some of the things I have seen, cheaper synthetic oils like Amazon Basics/Super Tech are right in the middle (compared side-by-side & additives added) of the pack.

If had to pick between two identical used vehicles (with the same mileage) -

Car 1: Owner used high mileage synthetic oil/high quality oil filters changed every 10,000-15,000 miles.

or

Car 2: Owner used Amazon Basics synthetic oil/good quality oil filter changed every 5,000 miles.

I would pick the car 2 car without thinking twice.

If someone was convinced that car 1 would be the better pick, that good, too! Somebody needs to buy the other one, because it wouldn't be me!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Does a poor quality synthetic oil exist?

No.

Any synthetic oil with the same SAE rating is just as good including any variant of Warren oil (Amazon Basics, SuperTech, Kirkland, etc...). Studies also show they can go to 10-15k miles (under normal conditions) unless the oil becomes contaminated.
    Last edited by Mirageman38; 04-25-2020 at 11:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nickels View Post
    So, my first question is on your 20,000km oil changes, how much time is spent in ambient temperatures under -20C, and how much time is spent above 40C?

That's what I do oil changes on time, well, that and the warranty.
    -20c? Never have driven it below -15. I have a 4x4 truck for winter, the car sits in the worst weather. No salt ever. I wait until a few rains and no salt on the roads.
    Have started and driven it rarely, as low as -7. And rarely above 35c.
    I drive approx. 45 miles each way to work, starts cold, runs a little over an hour, and same for the drive home. Paved roads (highways). I use the car for work almost 100% of the time, no short trips. ever. I keep rpm's below 3500 all the time, usually max. 2500-3k.
    But, I agree, following the mfr suggested oci is a safe bet.