Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New owner down in Louisiana

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

New owner down in Louisiana

Hey, how's everybody?

Just finished a purchase of a 2017 Mirage ES (cvt) with 51k miles, looking forward to driving it on my ~40mi round trip to/from work.

With +50k mi, what kind of work should I expect it to need soon? I would think shocks are good, but how about the breaks, timing belt, trans fluid, etc?

Definitely considering Deox's rear sway bar, but I want to drive it around a bit before I decide for sure. I have a few questions about that specifically, but I'll post them in the relevant thread.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Nobu; 03-15-2020 at 12:56 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Hello Nobu and welcome to the forum. I'm sure you'll get lots of insight here.

The Mirage excels as an economy car. I bought one to save money for other things - I'm not fond of giving my money away to a dealer, and I have a hard time justifying a big, expensive car just to get back and forth to work.

That being said, you can take your Mirage as is, keep up with regular maintenance and keep your money in your pocket. Or, you can spend your cash on a bunch of modifications (keep in mind some mods can pay you back.) Trouble is, because there aren't many here stateside, there's not much of an aftermarket for the Mirage.

Consider changing out your CVT fluid to help extend the life of your transmission.

Again, welcome.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Buy the Daox rear sway bar (I'll be ordering more when I have a bit of extra money) and change the trans fluid. Otherwise it should be good to go!
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-19-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Don't bother with your rear drums until 80k miles or so, unless you hear/feel something. There expensive and don't do much for the CVT Mirage. Just do your front pads, which are cheap, as needed. For me it the fronts were done at 50k miles.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Dirk Diggler For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks guys!

Got my dash cover from rockauto today. Looks good, but definitely not suede. Should be called "Brushed Suede Velour" (or whatever it is). lol

Still, I suppose $32 isn't bad for a dash cover fabric pattern...just going to have to disassemble it and make my own suede dash, with a thin wool pad, I guess. Shouldn't cost more than $150 for the materials, if that...maybe.

Edit: Found "Sport mode" ("Ds"). I don't understand why reviewers rate the car so poorly...just bump it over to "Ds" when you need the fast response, and bump it back to "D" when you're cruising. It's got plenty of zip, more than enough for lugging people or cargo around, and have a little fun while you're at it. :shrug:
    Last edited by Nobu; 03-13-2020 at 10:02 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobu For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (03-19-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Attached photos to OP. Liking it so far, doesn't seem to lean nearly as badly as people make it out to – it's not as bad as my Accord, although the accord does corner better (probably due to it's wider wheelbase and lower center of gravity).

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nobu For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,713 Times in 2,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    Attached photos to OP. Liking it so far, doesn't seem to lean nearly as badly as people make it out to – it's not as bad as my Accord, although the accord does corner better (probably due to it's wider wheelbase and lower center of gravity).
    Glad to hear that you are liking your Mirage. I have the same year/color, but manual. I’ve never driven a 2014-15 Mirage, but the 2017+ Mirages may handle slightly better. I bought a Daox sway bar about 8 months after my Mirage purchase. In my case, Daox was still designing them & taking orders. I bought one of his leftovers after others were saying positive things about it. I like the added stability of the sway bar, especially on windy days.

He’s improved the sway bar twice since then.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-15-2020)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobu View Post
    I would think shocks are good, but how about the breaks, timing belt, trans fluid, etc?
    As a bonus, we have a timing chain, so the only belt to service is the alternator drive belt
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-15-2020 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Fixed quotation BB code.
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

15. The Following User Says Thank You to klroger For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-15-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    As a bonus, we have a timing chain, so the only belt to service is the alternator drive belt
    I was actually wondering about that, but forgot to ask. That's great to know.

Welcome, Nobu!

Glad to hear you're enjoying your Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Nobu (03-19-2020)