Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ASC light came on - Solved (wrong bulb installed)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm a little confused. The bulb you referred to from Amazon looks to be a P21W which according to the 2015 owners manual should fit the back-up light and the turn signal light. This would be a single filament bulb. The owners manual says the brake lamp bulb should be a P21/5W which is a dual filament bulb and is used as the brake and tail lamp.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daleWV For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-11-2020),Fummins (03-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    I'm afraid to answer, I'm offending people without even trying lol.

But wth. Gotta be good at something.
    Who did you offend? Certainly not me.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Problem Solved

Quote Originally Posted by daleWV View Post
    I'm a little confused. The bulb you referred to from Amazon looks to be a P21W which according to the 2015 owners manual should fit the back-up light and the turn signal light. This would be a single filament bulb. The owners manual says the brake lamp bulb should be a P21/5W which is a dual filament bulb and is used as the brake and tail lamp.
    You are a true hero.

I went to Auto Zone, bought some P21/5W bulbs for $8, swapped those in, and voilá, the warning lights are now gone.

Thanks for your help, everyone! Why would using the wrong kind of bulbs affect the ASC and ABS sensors?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tbird89 For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-11-2020),Fummins (03-11-2020)

I didn't even look at the link or part number lol. When in doubt always go back to what you did last before the problem.

You needed a dual filament bulb but used a single. I don't have a socket in front of me but the proper bulb p215w bulb has 2 offset contacts on the bottom the p21w bulb has a single one in the center. It's possible the wrong bulb connected both terminals on the car side when the brake lights were on or the other way around. If it senses power in the brake light circuit when the brake switch isn't on it could go haywire. Someone else may have a better answer that makes more sense but that's all I got. Even running led bulbs can make it do odd things. I've seen brake warning lights come on the dash when both brake bulbs are burnt out too.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-11-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Putting a single filament bulb in a double filament socket can short out the two pins in the bulb socket. The single pin of the bulb fits neatly between the two pins of the socket, as Fummins said.

Modern cars with everything in the world being controlled through the CANBUS system can be freaked out by things like that.
    Simplify and add lightness.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

daleWV (03-11-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    How do you change your brake light bulbs? I can't find any info on here about it? Is it those two screws near the lights that you see when you open the hatch?

Smash the lense out with a hammer. You're welcome

Yeah, take out the 2 screws you see with the hatch open. Then slide the entire assembly rearwards/pull towards you. It's tight but'll slide back with some force. There is a clip on the outer side forward edge of the light(if that makes sense?) that the light slides into to keep it tight against the body. Easier said with pictures.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-11-2020 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Needed to hit the enter button some more.
    Mirage videos:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Dirk Diggler (03-11-2020),mohammad (12-11-2021)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Smash the lense out with a hammer. You're welcome

Yeah, take out the 2 screws you see with the hatch open. Then slide the entire assembly rearwards/pull towards you. It's tight but'll slide back with some force. There is a clip on the outer side forward edge of the light(if that makes sense?) that the light slides into to keep it tight against the body. Easier said with pictures.
    Thank you bro! And you said don't screw around with LED just get the normal halogens?

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    Thank you bro! And you said don't screw around with LED just get the normal halogens?
    Some work with these and some don't. I'm sure someone posted using leds for brake/tail lights? Can't go wrong regular incandescents. I'd gamble with wuhan leds cause I like to pointlessly throw money away.

Last edited by Fummins; 03-11-2020 at 10:25 PM. Reason: Damn, I thought my original post would be included in the quote:(
    Mirage videos: