Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ASC light came on - Solved (wrong bulb installed)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Maybe the break switch (on the master cylinder) is tied into those systems, and when the bulb is on without the switch being pressed, it puts a voltage on those systems which they don't expect?

Otherwise, I'd guess it was programmed into the software as a safety feature to keep people from driving with their brake lights effectively disabled (because they only have one intensity, and never turn off?)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.3 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tbird89 View Post
    My 2015 DE is just under 100,000 miles. Last night, the ASC light came on while driving. It stays lit up until the car turns off. It returns about 2 or 3 minutes into every drive.

This might be totally unrelated, but this started happening immediately after I replaced the brake light bulbs. I'm wondering if I inadvertently bumped a sensor while doing that.

Thoughts?
    For the record, these are the bulbs I installed into my brake lights: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    You are a true hero.

I went to Auto Zone, bought some P21/5W bulbs for $8, swapped those in, and voilá, the warning lights are now gone.

Thanks for your help, everyone! Why would using the wrong kind of bulbs affect the ASC and ABS sensors?
    Thanks tbird89 for updating us on the solution. I've updated the thread title to note the fix.

The P21/5W has offset mounting pins while the P21W does not. I'll bet the P21W was difficult to install and remove in that socket, possibly damaging the socket.

Here's a bulb chart for reference:
    Last edited by Eggman; 03-12-2020 at 08:54 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-12-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Lol, wish I had seen this thread sooner. Back in the day I had a '92 Mercury Capri with this same problem. When I bought it the dash lights would come on whenever I stepped on the brakes. Took me a while to figure it out!

Somebody had put the wrong bulb in one of the taillights.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Thanks for this thread. My ASC, ASC OFF, and ABS lights came on today (2015 Mirage ES) and after reading this I came to realize both of my brake light bulbs had burned out (I already knew one was out but didn't know about the other). I had already ordered LED replacement bulbs. Replacement was easy and the warning lights are gone!