Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Car Insurance.

Country
    UK
    Thanks

Car Insurance.

Ain't been interfering of late but been reading some threads and I came across car insurance costs over there. Christ, I was astonished at the cost, particularly in the US. Example, DD pays $75 per month for car insurance with breakdown included, without breakdown its $65, that's $780 per annum for a Mirage that even I can run faster than it can.

I don't pay monthly I pay annually, my annual cost (last year) was £225 which equates to $288 US dollars.
    What the hell? I always thought it was only over here we got tucked up. Are these figures for insurance typical for the US?

If I was still living at the marital address in Harrogate, North Yorkshire my annual insurance would be £164 ($210)
    'kin hell, if that was a realistic figure from Dirk Diggler I'll be forced to contribute to all your (car) insurance renewals.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sounds about right. My premium is about $470 every 6 months here in Texas (no accidents in 8+ years). It was $40 more expensive to fully insure the Mirage vs my 09' BMW 128i. That was a surprise. Since the Mirage is generally driven by higher-risk teens, insurance is higher come to find out. It makes no sense to gauge insurance cost based on model of car, but here we are.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 41.5 mpg (US) ... 17.7 km/L ... 5.7 L/100 km ... 49.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Get ready to sh*t your pantaloons! lol
    In Canada, just outside the Toronto area my wife pays $1900/Year (full coverage) for her 2019 ES.

....and you think you're getting hosed lol

No accidents, no tickets, 30 years driving and her insurance went up $600 from her previous 13 year old car. Auto Insurance is robbery in Canada.
    Last edited by 905mirage; 03-11-2020 at 08:23 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Insurance rates vary wildly depending on which insurance company you choose (some are more preferential to different demographics) and how long you've been with them, where you live, how old you are, your driving record, your CREDIT rating, what you drive, what coverages you choose, and probably the phases of the moon.

What you drive is a factor, but not always for the reasons you might think. The replacement cost of the car is a factor, as is repair cost. But, they also look at the demographics of who typically owns a car and how likely they are to crash. That's why cars that are attractive to younger buyers tend to have crazy insurance rates. That applies to things like Mustangs and Camaros because they're cool and fun... it also applies to things like Kia Rios and Mitsubishi Mirages because they're cheap to buy.

And my 1997 Chevy S10... if I had full coverage on it... would cost more to insure than my wife's 2015 Miata. Why? Because the typical S10 owner is more likely to crash. The typical 2015 Miata owner is expected to be more mature and less crashy. (the Miata is also less likely to crash by virtue of better technology, being newer and in a better state of repair, etc, etc) It's all based on statistics.

If you're under 25, you're screwed. Beyond that... you might have a chance.

I'm 52 with a fairly clean driving record (last speeding ticked was 4-5 years ago, last crash/claim was 20+ years ago) and excellent credit. I live in a bad place for insurance rates (urban Florida). I have a multi-car discount, and discounts for being with Progressive for 15+ years. I'm a homeowner, which is also a factor. I'm married, which is also a factor.

I just renewed my insurance. It was something like $830 for 6 months. That's for four vehicles. An S10 pickup, two Miatas and the Mirage. The Mirage is the most expensive to insure, go figure.

Since it's all online and easy to look up...

On the Mirage:

$65 Property Damage Liability
    $81 Bodily Injury Liability
    $49 Uninsured Motorist
    $38 Personal Injury
    $12 Comprehensive
    $41 Collision

Lots of $1,000 deductibles. Minimal coverages. ($50k... really should do more these days)

That's a total of $286 for 6 months on a 2015 Mirage.

My wife's 2015 Miata has exactly the same coverages and it's $215. I think she has a 20% "snapshot" discount from driving around with a monitor on her car for a couple months a few years ago. That might be why hers is lower.

Here are all the discounts applied to our account:
    Anti-Lock Brakes
    Continuous Insurance Discount - Diamond
    Driver and Passenger-side Airbag
    Driver-side Airbag
    Five Year Accident Free
    Five Year Claim Free
    Homeowner
    Multi-Vehicle
    Online Quote
    Paid in Full
    Paperless
    Passive Anti-Theft Device
    Snapshot®
    Three Year Safe Driving

Trying to figure out what your insurance rates are, or should be, is nearly impossible!

What sucks is that I'm paying almost $400/year to keep minimum insurance on my S10... that I might drive once every 2 months. I really need to sell that thing!
    Simplify and add lightness.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Loren For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-11-2020),itschad (03-12-2020),Top_Fuel (03-12-2020)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I switched to All State from Geico because I was scared Geico would drop me or cancel my policy if they found out I was doing Uber on my private non-commercial policy. All State has an Uber driver add on to protect me but my monthly payment went from $75 to $120 a month. Even though my car was paid off and I only wanted basic liability All State said I had to have collusion insurance because I do ride share on the side. I dont mind though, at least I have the piece of mind knowing if I do get in a wreck I won't get my policy cancelled, that's worse than getting a DUI for insurance companies.

Over here in the blockade destroying part of Canada I pay $850 for the mirage with no collision but fire/theft. Rates are going up this year after rate cap removal so now it'll be almost $1000/year. I might have to take my empties in.

For comparison, my 05 1 ton truck is $750 and the wifes 20' Sorento is $1300 with full coverage. Oh and gas is cheap too.

I figured $850 was high, $1900 is a lot to pay just so you can drive a cheap a$$ car around lol.

I blame mirage rates higher because you're way more likely to be killed or seriously injured in as well as the fact that these things are written off if you lean against them too hard.
    Last edited by Fummins; 03-11-2020 at 09:08 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    About $600 a year for basic insurance. About every discount Geico offers. Coming from a 2003 Grand Cherokee my insurance also jumped a little with the mirage.

UK is much different than America though. Max speed limit is 70, in America it goes up to 85 in some places Many people do 85 in a 65. Average miles driven in America by men per year is 16,000 vs 7,000 in UK. US has 4 million miles of road while UK has 262k. US has 12.5 deaths per billion vehicle miles while UK is at 5.38. All of these things probably contribute.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2019 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 38.8 mpg (US) ... 16.5 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I shop insurance every other year - it pays to check out the competition. I'm paying $184 /yr for the Mirage and $165 /yr for the F150 - liability only with 100k/300k limits - also paying $110 /yr for a motorcycle and scooter.
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I switched to All State from Geico because I was scared Geico would drop me or cancel my policy if they found out I was doing Uber on my private non-commercial policy. All State has an Uber driver add on to protect me but my monthly payment went from $75 to $120 a month. Even though my car was paid off and I only wanted basic liability All State said I had to have collusion insurance because I do ride share on the side. I dont mind though, at least I have the piece of mind knowing if I do get in a wreck I won't get my policy cancelled, that's worse than getting a DUI for insurance companies.
    smart move - not only would they cancel, they would refuse to pay your damages if you violate the policy conditions
    Skills: Cage fighting, computer chatting, making sweet moula

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 01-7700 View Post
    I shop insurance every other year - it pays to check out the competition. I'm paying $184 /yr for the Mirage and $165 /yr for the F150 - liability only with 100k/300k limits - also paying $110 /yr for a motorcycle and scooter.
    Your paying $15 a month for basic liability? Jesus, were you driving a chariot, accident free, for 400 years before you got a car?