Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: oil consumption at 90k miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Use 0W-20 for improved mpg.
    Use 5W-30 for improved engine protection.
    Members have shared that from other parts of the world (in reference to their Mirage owner's manual).
    Can you show me your source for this claim? I can't recall a Mitsubishi Mirage owner's manual recommending anything other than 0W-20.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Can you show me your source for this claim? I can't recall a Mitsubishi Mirage owner's manual recommending anything other than 0W-20.

I just looked up a UK Mirage owner's manual. Depending on the atmospheric temperature, the following oil may be used in a Mirage -

0W-20
    0W-30
    5W-20
    5W-30
    5W-40
    10W-30
    10W-40
    10W-50
    15W-50
    20W-40
    20W-50

See page 10-5 of their owner's manual. If the UK owner's manual suggests only 0W-20 oil be used, I've missed it.

https://owners.mitsubishi-motors.co....s/OA0X19E2.pdf

One of the discussions that caught my attention was with a German forum member I believe. He's the one that claimed their owner's manual suggested -

0W-20 for mpg
    5W-30 for better engine protection

Not knowing German, I didn't question him at the time. I only took a mental note of what he wrote for us. I can probably find that some time, but you already ignored his claim at the time anyways. Thus, I would go on believing only 0W-20 oil is recommended for a Mirage around the world if I were you. There's no harm in believing that I guess.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

foama (03-17-2020)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Thanks Mark for the UK manual!

The Continental manual / German manual says:

Name:  Motor oil .jpg
Views: 594
Size:  90.0 KB

Quickly translated are three points:

1) The first point is the temperature versus viscosity graph.

2) The first bullet under the graph says to use a viscosity matching the temp range. It also says 0W20, 0W30, 5W30 and 5W40 may be used if they comply with following minimum standards: A list of historic SAE and ACEA standards follows. (Listed are well known older standards, nothing special at all)

3) The second bullet under the graph says to only use oil that complies with following classifications:
    Listed here are older API and ACEA quality ratings (not more stringent newer ratings!), and it also says to use ILSAC rated/certified oil. Current standard is ILSAC GF-5

Note:
    If you want to check on your favorite oil-quality (oil quality = oil performance) rating or compare it with a different quality rating, you may want to check the link below. There you could compare the world's strictest quality standard "VW 50400" with whatever you prefer. For this reason I use an oil that complies with VW50400 standard because it has way better performance (=quality) than needed. This is also the "longlife engine oil" with the most stringent standard that typically needs changing between 30000km and around 50000km when used in VW cars with computed oil change intervals.
    It is PAO-based and usually comes in 5W30 viscocity.

https://online.lubrizol.com/relperftool/pc.html
    Last edited by foama; 03-17-2020 at 03:44 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand that historically, motor vehicle manufacturers have associated engine oil viscosity with ambient temperature, in the sense that thicker oil corresponds with warmer temperatures. However, I don't recall Mitsubishi making the following claim in any of their literature:

Use 0W-20 for improved mpg.
    Use 5W-30 for improved engine protection.
    Members have shared that from other parts of the world (in reference to their Mirage owner's manual).
    I see one's preference for one viscosity or brand over another, but I can't find Mitsubishi's advice to use 5W-30 specifically for improved engine protection. Can you help me find the Mirage Owner's Manual that makes this claim?

I wouldn't want to draw a conclusion based on insufficient evidence.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Dear Eggman, you will not find any Mitsubishi advice to use 5W-30 specifically for improved engine protection in any Mitsubishi manual!
    I do not want to chime in to a long, fruitless laymen discussion, so here a brief answer:
    It is established in various Mitsu manuals that our engines can run with practically every oil on the market that complies with current SAE / ACEA / ILSAC standards. See owners manual.
    It is further established we can use 0W20 in ILSAC GF5 quality, see owners manual.
    It is common and well established knowledge in the industry that that running this sort of oil has potential risks, and using for example, 0W30 or 5W30 gives a higher level of wear protection for the engine than 0W20. The mpg rating was established with this kind of oil ( 0W20). It is fantasic our cars can run with 0W20 without problems. Because it is so thin, mpg is better, but there are potential risks with such a thin oil, but our cars can handle that.

Because I want the engine to last long, it gets the by far highest quality oil available. This is any oil compliant with VW 50400 standard, the world's strictest. That exceeds by far any ACEA or SAE or ILSAC standard. I could use something different, but in this country I can buy it for around €5 per liter. Why should I use liquid rubbish at €3 per liter when I can get the world's best longlife oil for €5 per liter that was made to last roughly 30 000 to 50 000km and also gives the industrie's best wear protection. It is PAO based and usually comes in 5W30 viscosity.

You may want to check the link in post number 23 and compare oil qualities.
    Last edited by foama; 03-17-2020 at 03:49 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I understand that historically, motor vehicle manufacturers have associated engine oil viscosity with ambient temperature, in the sense that thicker oil corresponds with warmer temperatures. However, I don't recall Mitsubishi making the following claim in any of their literature:

I see one's preference for one viscosity or brand over another, but I can't find Mitsubishi's advice to use 5W-30 specifically for improved engine protection. Can you help me find the Mirage Owner's Manual that makes this claim?

I wouldn't want to draw a conclusion based on insufficient evidence.
    Sorry, you're on your own. I've only claimed what others have claimed. If I were you, I would stick with 0W-20.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    The PCV valve will probably last for ever, extremely seldom that replacement is needed, but it pays in fuel consumption to keep it clean.
    Just checked mine, it is clean as brand new. It is not an issue for increasing oil consumption, and therefore off-topic here.

Cleaning a PCV valve is easy! After removal, spray into either side with some brake cleaner until 100% clean. When dry, you can suck some air through it to check. The air would be going from the threaded motor-side connection to the side that connects to the hose, thats it.
    THIS. I checked mine when my car started drinking a little oil. It was fine, but I sprayed it out with some brake cleaner anyway. Didn't make any difference.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-17-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Sorry, you're on your own. I've only claimed what others have claimed. If I were you, I would stick with 0W-20.
    Just asking for the source of your claim. You originally said this is from the manufacturer, not "what others have claimed."

I've paid attention to the various discussions surrounding engine oil for these cars and figured I must have missed this significant little detail. I'm not against anyone using whatever they think is best for their situation.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Beats obsessing over coronaviruses.

I guess I'll have to find another distraction.