Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: oil consumption at 90k miles

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have also seen this happen. It is very rare but it does occur. Actually the PCV is defective but you have to take it apart to find the defect. What has happened is that the seat that the plunger mates with becomes damaged. It will have a groove or a series of grooves in it and the plunger can no longer seal properly. So when the vacumn is very high oil is drawn past the seat and the engine consumes excessive amounts of oil.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Follow up - about the same consumption in three weeks, or approx. 1400 miles used close to 200ml. Guess it's to be expected, she ain't brand new now. At about 92k. miles.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tom,
    . . . . That is about 7K miles to the quart. I would call that normal.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    Tom,
    . . . . That is about 7K miles to the quart. I would call that normal.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    Thank you Rich! Hope you all are well.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Tom,
    . . . . You are welcome. My pleasure. I am. How about you and yours? My Mirage gets about 5k miles to the quart. I think that I am going to put GTX 10-40 in it until I have about 15K on it. I don't thing that synthetic oil right from the factory is the best way to go. I always ran for 25K miles before switching to synthetic and as I stated with my 323 and Protege I was getting better then 10K per quart. No oil consumption on the 323 between changes which were every 5K miles and only 1/4 quart every 10K miles with the Protege. The rings have to seat and that takes some friction to do so.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Tom,
    . . . . You are welcome. My pleasure. I am. How about you and yours? My Mirage gets about 5k miles to the quart. I think that I am going to put GTX 10-40 in it until I have about 15K on it. I don't thing that synthetic oil right from the factory is the best way to go. I always ran for 25K miles before switching to synthetic and as I stated with my 323 and Protege I was getting better then 10K per quart. No oil consumption on the 323 between changes which were every 5K miles and only 1/4 quart every 10K miles with the Protege. The rings have to seat and that takes some friction to do so.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    I keep bringing this up, but Steve's "cheap plastic car" was beyond 275,000 miles before he noticed any oil consumption. His free oil changes done every 5,000 miles were done with 5W-30 conventional motor oil. He didn't even know what oil was being used when I first asked him.

Rich - You are being sort of bold here. You're going against all those who feel you must stick with is what recommended (0W-20) in the owner's manual.

As far as I am concerned, recommended is not the same as the word required. Plus, 0W-20 is not the recommended oil for the Mirage in some other markets around the world. I really believe 0W-20 oil recommendations for us are based on a slight improvement in fuel economy & not much more.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . I agree with you. I was an Automobile Technician for 40 years and a Certified master for 35 of those. I have a background in Physics and I am uncomfortable with a 20 weight oil in the engine when I am running down the highway at 80MPH and 4,000 rpm. I would much rather have a 40 or even a 50 weight oil in my engine. I don't care about the extra 1 or 2 mpg with the lighter oil. I have been building high output engines for a very long time. The Castrol GTX oil is very good and a 10-40 or 20-50 at this time of year will work fine. If it was November, December, or January I would run a 5-30 oil until at least March. I am going to see if my oil consumption will decrease by giving the engine some more break in time and that is what the GTX will do. Just my thoughts and opinions.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    P.S. After this mess is over I would like to meet you. I see that you live in Richland Center. I am assuming that that is WI. Correct?
    rich!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Mark,
    . . . . I agree with you. I was an Automobile Technician for 40 years and a Certified master for 35 of those. I have a background in Physics and I am uncomfortable with a 20 weight oil in the engine when I am running down the highway at 80MPH and 4,000 rpm. I would much rather have a 40 or even a 50 weight oil in my engine. I don't care about the extra 1 or 2 mpg with the lighter oil. I have been building high output engines for a very long time. The Castrol GTX oil is very good and a 10-40 or 20-50 at this time of year will work fine. If it was November, December, or January I would run a 5-30 oil until at least March. I am going to see if my oil consumption will decrease by giving the engine some more break in time and that is what the GTX will do. Just my thoughts and opinions.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    P.S. After this mess is over I would like to meet you. I see that you live in Richland Center. I am assuming that that is WI. Correct?
    rich!
    Yes, RC is between Madison & LaCrosse. We could surely meet somewhere some time. After all this, everyone will want an excuse to get out!!!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mark,
    . . . . RC is South of me. Yep! I have been taking trips on occasion. I can't stay cooped up for long periods of time.
    GOD bless and Thanks,
    rich!

I heard there's someone on here that's maintained a fleet of Mirages, runs 0w20 in all of them. Out of about 30+ cars 2 use oil, one with over 444k km and the other with around 1/2 that. A lot has changed in 40 years.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-06-2020),poorman1 (04-06-2020)